Sign in to follow this  
Ted Striker

Do the ORBX regional sceneries and airports have uninstallers?

I'm considering getting ORBX PNW and some of their airports. After all the discussion about the release of FTX Global without an uninstaller I've got to ask: Do the ORBX PNW and ORBX airport software packs come with uninstallers?  I've done a search of this website and a google net search and could not find an answer.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

No, but there are ways to remove it manually if needed(not that you will ever need to :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the response Kaboki. If I register on the ORBX forums will I be able to find a document that describes the steps and difficulty to uninstall all of their various software? Or do I need to buy a product first? I don't see anything about it on their website.

Are the regions and airports installed manually or with automated installers? If they are installed manually then I can see that the uninstall would just be a reverse of the installation process.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I don't think there is a guide there, but if you ask in the support forum they will useally explain too you how it's done(you may have to be a paying customer though)

Orbx regions and airports have installers, but do not have uninstallers.  On the support site there are uninstalling guides for regions, airports etc, listed under the FAQ pages.   It's pretty straightforward.  Yes, that probably begs the question: "why then don't they provide uninstallers if it's easy?", but it really isn't a big deal in practice.

Scott

Thanks Kaboki. I'm on the fence between getting PNW or photo scenery. If I've gotta jump through hoops to uninstall the ORBX software I think I'm going with the photo secenery.  I just invested a fair amount of cash and a lot more time building a new system. If I run into system problems I want to be able to easily remove stuff.

Ted

Good to hear Scott. I will register on the ORBX forums and see if I can access those documents. If I cannot I am going to pass on the ORBX stuff.

Ted

I'm on the fence between getting PNW or photo scenery. If I've gotta jump through hoops to uninstall the ORBX software I think I'm going with the photo secenery.

Apples and orangutans, really.  Most people either like photo, or they like Orbx regions.  Honestly, PNW and Orbx airports are pretty easy to uninstall, and even easier to simply disable.  Of all the reasons to choose either photo or Orbx regions, well, this ain't one of 'em.

Scott

I'm on the fence, this is just pushing me in one direction. :smile:  What bothers me more is why would a company of this caliber not provide uninstallers? If it was a manual install I could understand. My concern comes from reading about what ORBX does with core FSX files in FTX Global and wondering if they are doing something similar with their other scenery. Thanks for the information though Scott. I'll register on their forums and see what I can find.

Ted

Well, that's a mystery that remains to be answered. :P It would be easy for them to make an unistaller, but I'm sure they have a reason for not making it.(whatever that is)

but I'm sure they have a reason for not making it.(whatever that is)

That's what concerns me. This reminds me of the oil and gas companies with their fracking fluids. "We don't want to tell you what's in the fluids cause its a proprietary trade secret but you can trust us its perfectly safe" Yeah sure, you betcha.... :lol:

Ted

I'm on the fence, this is just pushing me in one direction. :smile:  What bothers me more is why would a company of this caliber not provide uninstallers? If it was a manual install I could understand. My concern comes from reading about what ORBX does with core FSX files in FTX Global and wondering if they are doing something similar with their other scenery. Thanks for the information though Scott. I'll register on their forums and see what I can find.

Ted

That's how the suck you in, they don't want you to uninstall any of their products (insert evil laugh here)

I have both ORBX and photoscenery and like both. I find myself using photoreal more because I like the design aspect of upgrading airports with autogen and objects and I find that the performance costs with real weather and everything else a bit much at times still with ORBX.

Best, Michael

KDFW

And sometimes unwarranted concerns are just that...  Just sayin'.

In the case of an Orbx airport, for example, you set FTX Central to "Default", you delete one folder, two files and run an Orbx utility (which is installed on your system, not something you have to go get) after the deletions, which will automatically remove the scenery library entry.  No core files are touched.  For a region, there are a couple of additional file deletions.

It takes longer to describe than it takes to do, and it doesn't take long to describe.  This is an over-hyped issue following the whole FTXG thing, I'm afraid.

That's how the suck you in, they don't want you to uninstall any of their products (insert evil laugh here)

I have both ORBX and photoscenery and like both.

Yeah, I'm one of those few oddballs who likes both as well, though as a GA pilot I lean towards the Orbx side, as the flat thing really does bug me when I get down to airports, and I love Orbx' GA fields.

Scott

Orbx regions and ftxg modify autogen lookup tables. This can affect autogen from other addons. For example, I had orbx north America enabled and lost autogen in flytampa grenadines. Orbx comes with an FTX central application that changes which region you have enabled, ie default, north America, Europe, Oceania. It's set this way because each region uses unique autogen in unique ways, so they have to change the autogen and landclass tables. If you're not flying in an orbx region, change FTX central to default. This will change back to the default autogen lookup table. As long as you do this, you shouldnt have any issues with other addon autogen and I believe you can just delete the orbx folders and entries in the scenery library to uninstall, as long as FTX central is default. Not 100% sure if that's how you uninstall though

My concern comes from reading about what ORBX does with core FSX files in FTX Global and wondering if they are doing something similar with their other scenery.

Yes I think they are doing something similar(not sure though), but everything is backed up so it should not be any reasons to be concerned. I know Nick has scared alot of People with that bull.... , but really it's nothing to worry about. ^_^  I had to remove an airport once, don't remember how but it was pretty easy.

If I wanted to remove all of my Orbx stuff and lets say switch to GEX, it would also be pretty staightforward... 

Orbx stuff has never messed up anything with my FSX install, GEX on the other hand screw up for me bigtime! (So Nick should maybe mind he's own bizniss instead of bashing other devs with that crap)................

ttdocs and dcgator, those are the answers I was looking for, thanks. I realize that after I install any ORBX scenery I may not want to remove it....unless I have some computer issues......or the next best incredible scenery comes along. Look how many new weather engines we've gotten in the last couple of years. I just want to make sure that a reimage of the whole system is not the only way out.

Ted