Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Question about trim on final? 777

Make sure you let FSUIPC handle the control inputs?

Yeah. Do you have paid for FSUIPC? If you do, take a look at the image below. I made sure i checked the option (circled). If I try using the one below, it goes crazy with the 777, but is fine with everything else.

pq6g.png

Yeah. Do you have paid for FSUIPC? If you do, take a look at the image below. I made sure i checked the option (circled). If I try using the one below, it goes crazy with the 777, but is fine with everything else.

pq6g.png

I do have a paid copy. Good deal, thanks!  ^_^

I do have a paid copy. Good deal, thanks!  ^_^

No worries. Let me know if it makes a difference; I wonder how many people are struggling to fly without knowing there's a problem!

guys autotrim works fine in fsx. Just try not to touch the trim at all... Set the trim for takeoff and thats it. 

guys autotrim works fine in fsx. Just try not to touch the trim at all... Set the trim for takeoff and thats it. 

Yes the trim does seem to work that way.

In reality, trim changes aren't required for configuration changes in the T7, for example flap deployment or thrust increases and thus a pitch up due to the fact that the engines are below the wings.

However, Boeing designed the T7 so that trim is required for as speed increases. My test flight today demonstrated that this is working correctly, but the trim response could be better. Perhaps that's related to my hardware.

However, like you, I have noticed that it's also p[possible to not trim at all with speed changes, and simply push the yoke forward or back to maintain level flight. Once the speed has settled, it's in trim. No idea if that's as per the real aircraft, but it certainly makes life easier not having to trim.

Banking seems good, as per the real aircraft, it remains at the desired altitude without back pressure on the yoke, as long as it's not in excess of 20 degrees.

I did notice though that there is a considerable tendency to float if auto thrust is left on for landing. I know this is done in the T7, but it's not a good idea in the sim it seems. Could be that the thrust is not back to idle soon enough.

That's true for an Airbus but not for the 777. You have to trim with speed changes.

However, like you, I have noticed that it's also p[possible to not trim at all with speed changes, and simply push the yoke forward or back to maintain level flight. Once the speed has settled, it's in trim. No idea if that's as per the real aircraft, but it certainly makes life easier not having to trim.

That's not how the real plane works, no.

I flew my companiy's T7 simulator for 2 hours in February this year and can attest that I had to work the trim quite a bit throughout all phases of flight. The only part of the airplane that I did not have to manipulate much at all was the rudder...only for takeoff roll and landing roll-out. The T7 definitely needs a healthy exercise of the trim.

That's not how the real plane works, no.

Mind explaining how you think it works?

Kyle Rodgers

I have to say, I see where he's coming from.

It is possible it seems to not bother to trim for speed changes, and just maintain altitude with the yoke. As soon as the new speed is stabilised it then stays in trim.

Is this normal behaviour for a T7 Kyle? The research I did this morning didn't reveal this behaviour.

As far as I know, it is always necessary to trim as speed increases or decreases. 

I'm a bit flummoxed by autotrim as well, I've had a hard time getting it to do what I want. Does the FBW change trim (or reference speed) in response to column inputs too?

It seems like when I give column input the airplane seems to start to run out of elevator authority (e.g. the nose stops pitching). When I release that input the airplane feels like it retrims itself and I can add the same column input and the airplane will respond more along the lines of what I would expect. I experienced this with a very light load shooting touch and go's at MWH.

If I want to reduce airspeed in level flight I should just reduce thrust and not touch the trim, or should I reduce thrust and hit the trim switches?

Something else I noticed, is that the nose drops above a 20 degrees bank angle or so. I understood that this only happened at higher bank angles in the T7. I thought it was about 30 degrees.

Something else I noticed, is that the nose drops above a 20 degrees bank angle or so. I understood that this only happened at higher bank angles in the T7. I thought it was about 30 degrees.

I've experienced the same.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Martin was saying, but the way I read what he said was that holding the yoke to maintain attitude would result in the plane automatically trimming for that attitude once the speed had stabilised, and pointed out that's not what auto-trim does.

I'm a bit flummoxed by autotrim as well, I've had a hard time getting it to do what I want. Does the FBW change trim (or reference speed) in response to column inputs too?

No.

It seems like when I give column input the airplane seems to start to run out of elevator authority (e.g. the nose stops pitching). When I release that input the airplane feels like it retrims itself and I can add the same column input and the airplane will respond more along the lines of what I would expect. I experienced this with a very light load shooting touch and go's at MWH.

If I want to reduce airspeed in level flight I should just reduce thrust and not touch the trim, or should I reduce thrust and hit the trim switches?

If the plane is behaving strangely, it might be your FSUIPC settings. It caused me trouble, but the solution is simple (see above).

Is this normal behaviour for a T7 Kyle?

To be honest, I can't find an exact reference in the manuals (though I haven't looked very thoroughly) as to what the actual behavior is.  Beyond that, Google searches just turn up arguments of people going back and forth, seemingly as to what they think it does.  As such, I was just trying to figure out what his impression of how it's supposed to work is.  Perhaps he knows where to find the knowledge.

I really haven't had the time to look at higher order problems because so many people are posting threads with the simple issues that could've been fixed with a little RTFM...

Sorry - yes, I know, I could ignore them, but I'm also kind of making a point:

People harp on me for being a big meanie for telling people to RTFM, and I've told them time and time again that if assets in the community are side-tracked with the simple issues from people not doing their homework, they can't ever get to the more complex ones.  And hey...wouldn't ya know...I'm here answering all the simple questions because people refuse to read...

We, as a community, need to do better.

[/RANT]

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, my AP Disco alarm doesn't stop. This must be a bug.

<ducks>