Sign in to follow this  
dighost

FYI.. Norton Antivirus detects virus

Oh god Norton...

Best A/V I've ever used: ESET NOD32. Low profile, updated several times per day, excellent program! Would highly recommend that!

No virus warning with MSE - is that good or bad?   :P

I guess it's good,but then the whole of M$ is a virus,so does a virus detect a virus?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Typical Norton "nanny knows best" performance, taking control of your system and preventing you installing what you know is safe. Antivirus programs do sometimes find false positives but they should give you the option to override. In my experience installing Norton or Mcafee "internet security" is worse than being attacked by malware or a virus.

Obviously if you've paid for Norton then you will find reasons to like it, but the truth is there are free a/v programs which do a better job.

ki9cAAb.jpg

but the truth is there are free a/v programs which do a better job.

Who's truth though? Perceived? Just as a paying user will find reasons to support it, others who don't want to pay for a/v may simply think the product they use is better because it's free.. Not saying Norton is the be all, end all of antivirus by any means, but it is pretty damn good. Ignorance says otherwise.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372371,00.asp

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I've used Norton for literally decades.  It's the best AV software out there if you know how to use it.  Norton360's the simplest version yet, and most reliable.  Like all complex software, it requires some mastery.

I'd rather it register false positives I can then review than let all sorts of crap slip through because it's "easier on the system."

I have no problems with it interfering with anything else I do.

Is it bad I don't use any antivirus? Bought one and it broke my wifi driver...

Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Anti-malware paid version are what I'm using, no problems whatsoever with anything. 

Regards

Joona L

There is no need for an anti-virus. Just be smart, don't download suspicious things and don't go to strange websites. Simple enough. I ditched antiviruses 3 years ago and I still have not had a problem.

And back on topic, some antiviruses are just to suspicious, its something you have to live with.

I remember being in a IT conference and after the event was almost over Norton reps got up to speak and 2/3 of the room left.......lol

Every time I go to clients home to clean out malware, virus, ....etc, Norton and McAfee are mostly installed.  I do admit that Norton is getting better in performance, still sucks and detecting anything.   McAfee is just crap all around.........better to use Microsoft Essential Security   :O

I use Eset Nod32.

There is no need for an anti-virus

This is bad advice best ignored.

I do admit that Norton is getting better in performance, still sucks and detecting anything. McAfee is just crap all around.........better to use Microsoft Essential Security

Affirm.

spacer.png

This is most definitely a false positive guys. If you have "heuristics" or any setting that tries to detect "suspicious activity" by a program turned on, turn that off, it's almost always going to result in false positives.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I didn't get this warning. Ooops, I don't have anti-virus  :blush:

*Austin Powers voice* I, too, like to live dangerously....

Who's truth though? Perceived? Just as a paying user will find reasons to support it, others who don't want to pay for a/v may simply think the product they use is better because it's free.. Not saying Norton is the be all, end all of antivirus by any means, but it is pretty damn good. Ignorance says otherwise.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372371,00.asp

I don't think "ignorance" has anything to do with this. My comments were based on personal experience.

In that test Norton gets 4.5 out of 5 and requires an annual licence fee to maintain. AVG Free 2012 gets 4 out of 5 (it's listed in the MSE review but not explicitly compared in the main test and is completely free). Is Norton really worth paying that much for half a rating point?

Norton blocked installation of the PMDG Ops Center updater program. My AVG Free 2013 did not. Maybe Norton is better than it was previously, but it's past history means that I'd never install it (and pay for the privilege). A good a/v program is essential, but there are perfectly good free alternatives.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I just get in a habit of turning off my virus protection when downloading any good programs.