Sign in to follow this  
CaptKornDog

Anyone have autobrakes perform an RTO?

Hello all,

I've been messing with V1 and Vr cuts with RTOs the past few hours.  Has anyone had their autobrakes successfully engage for an RTO?  With my aircraft on the ground, above 85 knots, and pulling the throttles back to idle only results in an amber autobrakes message for me, forcing me to manually brake instead.

Maybe I'm missing a step.

Thanks.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

No reverser needed for RTO. Kyle What kind of hardware you have? And are there calibrated through FSUIPC?

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

No reverser needed for RTO. Kyle What kind of hardware you have? And are there calibrated through FSUIPC?

Saitek X52 Pro, not calibrated (through FSUIPC at least).

maybe there is a calibration issue there? Maybe the idle detent on your throttle does not idle your engines on FSX. Have you tried by pressing F1 to see what happening?

Also what have you put on the A/T Manual Override setting at FMC option?

Finally check page 44 of the intro document on proper positioning of phtsical throttles on the 777

Chris Makris

Right, I have no idea how the sim is set up to work 'cause I don't yet have it, but on the real bird Autobrakes arm at 85kts.

So, below that speed, if you need to reject your TO, make sure you use your brakes manually.

If PMDG considered that as well.... I'd be impressed :O

<p>Francesco

maybe there is a calibration issue there? Maybe the idle detent on your throttle does not idle your engines on FSX. Have you tried by pressing F1 to see what happening?

Also what have you put on the A/T Manual Override setting at FMC option?

Finally check page 44 of the intro document on proper positioning of phtsical throttles on the 777

I have tried on each of the AT override settings (if I recall, there were 3).

(And yes, I'm above 85 knots, as I indicated above.)

I've done an RTO at ~95kts and the autobrakes worked fine. Even though I used a little reverse thrust, I was able to generate quite a bit of brake heat.

http://i.imgur.com/Fd7KzOH.jpg

What is your hardware and A/T override settings?

I have tried two RTO's, first time at 80 knots - everything was ok, autobrake was functioning properly until full stop. Second RTO was about 100 knots and i got only autobrake message, but no braking action.

Artur 

I have used rto only once. I forgot to turn on my flt dir and by mistake and AT was not on. In a panic i use full RT and i got overheated brakes 

GUYS i think i found out why does this happen !! And even a way to reset the system. All  my testing was made without fsuipc or controllers plugged, just f1 f2 f3 keys on p3d v4. Btw sorry for necroposting.

It happens becouse of the way spoilers interact with the autobrake logic. Everything will be fine if, after a succesful rto to the stop (even with reversers, after a stop i just push f1 to reset throttles), you will disarm the autobrake by stowing the speedbrakes. If you happen to turn the autobrake switch to off before stowing the speedbrakes, then each subsequent rto will result in a disarm.

However, there is a way to reset this, if this happens to you, then you have to perform an rto with spoilers armed, yes it is not correct procedurally, but the autobrake will perform then. After that you have to perform rto's in the correct way (plus no need to arm the spoilers) i described, disarming the autobrakes by stowing the spoilers. And you can use reversers with no worries this way.

This may also happen if by any reason, you will go into reverse ( during taxi perhaps :) even autobrake may be off) or cycle the spoilers on the ground, in that case, same reset procedure applies.

I think it may have been a problem in the ngx as well, but the latest fix in the changelog with the out of place spoiler handle resolved it

Edited by Klocek

47 minutes ago, Klocek said:

GUYS i think i found out why does this happen !! And even a way to reset the system. All  my testing was made without fsuipc or controllers plugged, just f1 f2 f3 keys on p3d v4. Btw sorry for necroposting.

It happens becouse of the way spoilers interact with the autobrake switch. Everything will be fine if, after a succesful rto to the stop (even with reversers, after a stop i just push f1 to reset throttles), you will disarm the autobrake by stowing the speedbrakes. If you happen to turn the autobrake switch to off before stowing the speedbrakes, then each subsequent rto will result in a disarm.

However, there is a way to reset this, if this happens to you, then you have to perform an rto with spoilers armed, yes it is not correct procedurally, but the autobrake will perform then. After that you have to perform rto's in the correct way (plus no need to arm the spoilers) i described, disarming the autobrakes by stowing the spoilers. And you can use reversers with no worries this way.

This problem may happen in other pmdg planes as well i think.

This may also happen if by any reason, you will go into reverse ( during taxi perhaps :) even autobrake may be off) or cycle the spoilers on the ground, in that case, same reset procedure applies.

Was there any reason to post in a 5 year old post? This confuses thinks and not helping.

Real names on the forum please as per rules.

Chris Makris