Sign in to follow this  
mrluca

777 in Prepar3D

In my opinion it's just a thing of respect towards customers to point out that this product has a software lock that prohibits it from running in Prepar3d.

...I really wish Microsoft would point out that Microsoft Office 2010 only works for Windows!  If only I'd have known!!!

Jerks!

...seriously?

The product page says "PMDG 777 for FSX" (or something similar, I can't see it at work).

The image next to it shows "FSX" in it.

...and the descriptive text below also states "this product will only work in FSX."

heres-your-sign.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

Got it.  Understood.  Cheers.  Didnt really care anyway.  P3D is a dead end (much like FSX).  We're all gonna end up in XP a few years from now regardless unless a new hardcore flight simming platform emerges as RSR has hinted at.

spacer.png

I brought this for Xplane and it doesnt work either - very dissappointed. They should have said on their website which platforms it worked on. Oh wait, they did.......

I got it to work in XPX but I had to use a hacksaw, a chisel, a mallet and a blindfold! :lol:

Funnily enough, all these jokes about it not working for other things are as annoying as people asking why the T7 doesn't work in P3D - it's not the same thing. The NGX works fine in P3D, the T7 uses the same platform as the NGX, so it's hardly unnatural to assume the T7 would also work in P3D. This isn't to say I have any sympathy for those complaining it doesn't work on P3D; PMDG are within their right to block it working, even if it is a bit of an annoying move and it would've been nicer if PMDG pointed out they've blocked it working with P3D because clearly everyone currently running the NGX in P3D is going to assume it will work.

The NGX works fine in P3D, the T7 uses the same platform as the NGX, so it's hardly unnatural to assume the T7 would also work in P3D.

Nah...it's just a violation of the EULA (for both products).

I can use a knife to cut an apple or stab someone.  Just because they both "work" doesn't mean both are okay (extreme example, but you get the point).  One of those options will get me in a world of trouble...

Again, the order page states at least for times "for FSX," curiously omitting P3D.  If it was for P3D, it would state that.  Assuming...well...we all know what assuming does.

In a community centered around aviation, you should know better than to assume.

Kyle Rodgers

Nah...it's just a violation of the EULA (for both products).

I can use a knife to cut an apple or stab someone.  Just because they both "work" doesn't mean both are okay (extreme example, but you get the point).  One of those options will get me in a world of trouble...

Again, the order page states at least for times "for FSX," curiously omitting P3D.  If it was for P3D, it would state that.  Assuming...well...we all know what assuming does.

In a community centered around aviation, you should know better than to assume.

I never mentioned anything about the EULA, of course it's a violation but that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. Also, the NGX page also says "for FSX only" so saying that on the T7 page is hardly going to make someone think it doesn't work on P3D. As I said, I don't disagree with what PMDG have done - it goes against the EULA. I was mainly addressing these ridiculous comparisons on the thread where people, I can only assume, think they're being funny.  :lol:

In my opinion it's just a thing of respect towards customers to point out that this product has a software lock that prohibits it from running in Prepar3d.

@Elliot in case you haven't noticed, Prepar3d is based on the FSX code and thus your comparision with X-Plane is absolutely pointless, since most FSX addons run very well in Prepar3d... So, you can save your cheap sarcasm.

No I had noticed, but its precisely the same point. Dont get upset over a risk you took that did not pay off. Violating companies EULAs is not a trivial issue. In most cases you should have the product blocked or revoked. People brought this for P3D when it explicitly states FSX only and everyone knows PMDG officially does not support P3D and currently has zero plans to do so. What is quite comical is that people think they have been duped when for some reason, surprise surprise, its not working in P3D. Its ridiculous. They have stated it plain and simple on the product page - four times!

Will p3d v2 change the mindset of pmdg? Only if p3d have the same number of user as xplane. 

Its all about the EULA.

As long as P3D does not have an entertainment section in their EULA - my guess is PMDG will never support it.

However - if PMDG create the option to have commercially licensed version of their products - then yes, there would be no reason why they wouldnt support it - in my opinion.

Its all about the EULA.

As long as P3D does not have an entertainment section in their EULA - my guess is PMDG will never support it.

However - if PMDG create the option to have commercially licensed version of their products - then yes, there would be no reason why they wouldnt support it - in my opinion.

This is pure speculation on my part, but that Wall Street article did say PMDG are hoping to break (if they haven't already) the commercial market and have pilots take advantage of their simulations to reduce training costs - it wouldn't surprise me if this is what ultimately motivated the decision to fully stop their entertainment products being used on P3D, as I imagine the commercial products will be ran on it instead.

This is pure speculation on my part, but that Wall Street article did say PMDG are hoping to break (if they haven't already) the commercial market and have pilots take advantage of their simulations to reduce training costs - it wouldn't surprise me if this is what ultimately motivated the decision to fully stop their entertainment products being used on P3D, as I imagine the commercial products will be ran on it instead.

Again, pure speculation, but I think your spot on. Commercially licensed products cost alot more. Why pay it when I can just get the consumer one and run it hush hush? Block the consumer one and force me to use the commercially licensed one makes a heck of alot of business sense. Any money lost from P3D users should easily be gained from commercial purchases.

Why pay it when I can just get the consumer one and run it hush hush? Block the consumer one and force me to use the commercially licensed one makes a heck of alot of business sense.

...but also to avoid liability.  Just my own thought.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer.  This is not legal advice.

Kyle Rodgers

Yeh - also that too. 

Again, pure speculation, but I think your spot on. Commercially licensed products cost alot more. Why pay it when I can just get the consumer one and run it hush hush? Block the consumer one and force me to use the commercially licensed one makes a heck of alot of business sense. Any money lost from P3D users should easily be gained from commercial purchases.

Yep, it really wouldn't surprise me if as soon as P3D v2.0 is up and running the whole 'enthusiast' market P3D currently has is going to be completely killed by removing the 'student' licenses and having only the more expensive commercial licenses available. Partially because the commercial sector is going to make Lockheed significantly more money than our market will, but also because having a little enthusiast 'gaming' market could actually damage potential commercial sales worth many multiples of the entire simming market on P3D. It would undoubtedly be in PMDG's best interests to put as much separation between our market and the commercial one, and having them run on entirely different applications (albeit the same platform) is a good way to do this. 

Of course, one can dream that Lockheed are eventually going to make an entertainment license available but the cynic in me makes me think this is never going to happen.