Sign in to follow this  
Sherra

ADF

Thanks very much to the PMDG-Team for this fantastic bird. I have done several short hops with it - without any problems. The only small problem is that i can`t  find a way to dial in my ADF. In my FMC under NAV-Radio are only the 2 VOR`s - no ADF. In one picture on the tutorial 1 i saw that under these VOR`s are 2 ADF. I don`t know why these ADF aren`t shown in my FMC. Can somebody help?

Much Greetings vom EDDS

Andreas

Freighter version does not come with ADF. On passenger version the ADF is under NAV/RAD

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Hei thx for your Reply - but i don`t understand - did this mean that i can`t tune a adf on a freighter 777 - this could not be - or are freighter flying in an other way than passanger 777 :O

Grettings vom EDDS

Andreas

That is true. You can't tune ADF with Freighter. As I understand it's one of Boeing options to deliver it like that to customers. In a future version it might be added as an option but no sure.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

did this mean that i can`t tune a adf on a freighter 777 - this could not be - or are freighter flying in an other way than passanger 777

Correct - the freighter does not have NDB.  There aren't many airports that the 777 would fly into that only have NDB approaches, or require NDBs at all.

Kyle Rodgers

Because it's a customer option PMDG didn't decide to include...

Nobody said the real freighter doesn't, or can't, have NDBs, the PMDG model on the other hand, does not.

Hallo,

not fully correct, Aero Logic freighter for example are with ADF equipped.

Where did you get that information?

Dave P. Woycek

this time i will resist posting ... !!

for now, cheers

john martin

Correct - the freighter does not have NDB.  There aren't many airports that the 777 would fly into that only have NDB approaches, or require NDBs at all.

Hey Kyle,

I would actually say the complete opposite when it comes to freighter flying. In the USA NDB's are vanishing, rest of the world they are very much still in use, especially at many of the cargo destinations used by heavy freighters.

Rob Prest

rest of the world they are very much still in use, especially at many of the cargo destinations used by heavy freighters.

What airports are 77Ls flying into that necessitate NDBs?

Kyle Rodgers

Hehe, Had a feeling you would ask. A fair few of the cargo destinations around Africa Europe & Asia still have NDB approaches, If you want specific fields I will get back to you in a bit.

Btw, I never said 'necessitate' I can completey understand why the ADF is slowly disappearing from the modern flightdeck, however many flight crew still want to back up with as much raw data as possible, including the NDB.

Pretty much every freighter captain & f/o I have spoken to in the past says the same thing, 'one of the perks is being able to switch of the automatics go to rose mode and hand fly raw data into fields you would not normally expect to take a huge commercial airliner' It is a completey differant culture to normal airline flying with pax in the back, VNAV LNAV into major airports and trundling down the ILS, disconnecting at 500ft since you don't want to be called into an office.

Btw, you see this a lot when an ILS is unservicable around Africa, Asia and some places in Europe. This is a NOTAM for VVTS a little while back.

E) DISREGARD LANDING MNM FOR RWY 35L,REF AIP VIET NAM PAGE VVDN AD

2.24-2 WEF 30 JUL 2013 AS

- ILS Y, ILS Z APPROACH PROCEDURE FOR RWY 35L IN CASE OF GP

UNSERVICEABLE

- ILS Y, ILS Z APPROACH PROCEDURE FOR RWY 35L STRAIGHT-IN APPROACH

- NDB APPROACH PROCEDURE FOR RWY 35L

THE REST NC.

Rob Prest

Hehe, Had a feeling you would ask.

Always trying to learn about non-FAA-land.  While the FAA part of the world generally keeps me busy enough, it's always good to know what's going on elsewhere.

Btw, I never said 'necessitate' I can completey understand why the ADF is slowly disappearing from the modern flightdeck, however many flight crew still want to back up with as much raw data as possible, including the NDB.

I know, but since have or not have is a black and white line, I'm trying to use black and white terms for either requiring or not requiring.  If the field has an ILS and at least one other type of approach - GPS or VOR - then I consider NDB to be obsolete.  Most approaches that had required NDB for intersection identification in the past are now getting overlays such that the GPS info can be substituted for the NDB signals (FAA land, of course).

While I believe that including raw data can only be more helpful, I'm not on the bandwagon that it's more accurate or reliable when compared to GPS.  As such, unless the only approach to the field is an NDB approach, and that NDB approach does not have a GPS overlay, then I don't see the point.

If it came down to me ordering a plane with one or without one, I'd honestly keep it in there just in case, and why not?  Still, I still don't think they're worth getting upset over if it's not an option (not that you are - just commenting on the discussion here in general).

Pretty much every freighter captain & f/o I have spoken to in the past says the same thing, 'one of the perks is being able to switch of the automatics go to rose mode and hand fly raw data into fields you would not normally expect to take a huge commercial airliner' It is a completey differant culture to normal airline flying with pax in the back, VNAV LNAV into major airports and trundling down the ILS, disconnecting at 500ft since you don't want to be called into an office.

Definitely.  Contrary to what I said above, I believe that flying an approach in raw data alone adds to your skill set as a pilot.  The comparative lack of precision and increase in workload help to hone your skills and could help you out in a pinch down the line.

I still laugh when I fly a VOR approach with a glass baby next to me, particularly when the approach has intersections defined by another VOR or NDB.  The bewildered look I get when the runway "magically" appears ahead of us when popping out of the clouds, even when I didn't use the magic moving map, is priceless.

I like glass, but the amount of pilots I fly with who are hopelessly reliant on it is pretty sad.

Kyle Rodgers

Luke, do you ever add anything of value around here?

Rob Prest