Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Extra Links in Posts

Greetings,

At some point recently (*been on vacation a few times in August, so not sure when this started), I've noticed that certain words in posts are now being linked with informational items or popups.

For example, in my own recent post, the string "777" gets automatically linked seven times to what looks like a wiki article... among other words and phrases. At first I thought this might be malicious software on my computer, but other websites using the same forum software (and having the same words) are not triggering this, and I get the popup behavior on my work PC as well.

I've scoured the settings for my forum profile, but cannot seem to find any option to turn this feature off. It's getting to be more and more annoying to me - it has suddenly become more difficult to see the "legitimate" links in people's posts versus these tagged words, and I don't need a specifications lesson on an airplane each time a word or phrase is used on a post.

Can someone please provide some guidance as to how this can be turned off?

Cheers!
-Greg

Editing to add: Heh - Seven-seven-seven got tagged again in my message above. See it?

Meh.

While I wish AVSIM all the financial best, I hope this experiment ends soon. My life certainly won't end because of it, but it does seem a bit obtrusive and cluttering...

Thanks for the pointer, Brian!

That's what I initially thought, but got used to it pretty quickly, and I don't even really recognize those links anymore.

Financial best? We don't make money from that. It's just an add in to help newbies and veterans learn about certain keywords.

Financial best? We don't make money from that.

Really? Tom's comment makes it seem like its advertising oriented, and the boxes popping up for FSX and addons seem to talk a bit exclusively about "Just Flight", as opposed to being inoccuous informational links.

Whether it's informational only or paid-for advertising, it still interrupts the flow of a post a bit and I hope they opt not to use it in the long term.

Cheers,

-Greg

Editing to add: Well look at that!  "j-u-s-t flight" also triggers it...

Follow up note to whom it concerns,

THANK YOU for the decision to turn this feature off. Threads are now being presented in a clear, clean, and appealing way without the clutter of all those extra links. 

Can't fault anyone for experimenting and trying out such features, but I must say I'm pleased that it has been turned off.

Thanks!