Sign in to follow this  
jlund

Why install as admin?

If I buy the 777 (and I will eventually, just waiting for bugs to be sorted out first) I understand that I have to install it with my antivirus turned off and install as admininistrator, correct?

Do I also have to turn off UAC, and again, why? I mean, turning off antivirus and UAC will make the computer vunerable for "intruders" or can I turn it back on as soon as the T7 is installed? And do FSX need to be run as admin each time I start it nomatter which aircraft I use?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

It all depends:

With FSX in a non-standard folder (outside of programs(x86)), everything installed and run as an administrator, UAC high, and AV on, I could install and activate the T7.

Many issues derive from installing FSX into the OS-protected default folder and from NOT installing and running things as 'admin'.

I understand that I have to install it with my antivirus turned off and install as admininistrator, correct?

UAC prevents unauthorized sources from installing certain things (that source may be a virus, or a non-admin user).  Moreover, it may allow the install, but may only write certain documents temporarily.  As an example, with the NGX, a lot of people tried to save key commands, but they would not work after the person exited the sim.  The reason was that FSX wasn't being run as an admin, and Windows wasn't letting it save the files permanently - only for the one session.

UAC was Microsoft's reaction to all of the "WELL APPLE DOESNT GET VIRUSES!!!!!!!!"

-Somewhat true, but that's because people don't really target Apple because of its computing market share (not used in high dollar businesses for the most part, so attacking them won't get you a ton of money).

-It was somewhat of an effort to prevent viruses from doing their thing even with the most computer illiterate people out there.  Let's dispel something here: viruses don't just randomly search for computers and install themselves in 99.9% of the cases - the user does something stupid on some sketchy website.

So, always run things as an admin.

ALWAYS.

Kyle Rodgers

So, always run things as an admin.

ALWAYS.

Kindly correct this ;) Never ever run "things always" as an Admin - try to prevent it.

Thanks

I have never had a problem installing and running payware addons without administrator status, and also with antivirus switched on.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Kindly correct this ;) Never ever run "things always" as an Admin - try to prevent it.

Explain - what you said makes no sense.  Unless you have UAC off, you need to be running things as an admin at all times for things to work properly.

Kyle Rodgers

Is UAC on by default in Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit? The reason I ask is that I do not remember changing any settings of this kind, and yet (as mentioned above) I do not have any problems installing (or running) stuff without administrator status.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is UAC on by default in Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit? The reason I ask is that I do not remember changing any settings of this kind, and yet (as mentioned above) I do not have any problems installing (or running) stuff without administrator status.

Default is NOT the lowest setting. I made sure it's set to high and it works for me.

Explain - what you said makes no sense.  Unless you have UAC off, you need to be running things as an admin at all times for things to work properly.

It makes sense. UAC should always enabled and should only disabled for a short period as it is one of your OS security features. The whole "UAC is bad, always run things as an admin" story is for lazy programmer - I said that hundert times to my customers because I was to tired to implement things right (or was to busy). Before Vista ppl. complained about MS security and why its not possible to run installations/programms with restricted rights even if you are logged in as an Administrator. etc. etc etc

It makes sense. UAC should always enabled and should only disabled for a short period as it is one of your OS security features. The whole "UAC is bad, always run things as an admin" story is for lazy programmer - I said that hundert times to my customers because I was to tired to implement things right (or was to busy). Before Vista ppl. complained about MS security and why its not possible to run installations/programms with restricted rights even if you are logged in as an Administrator. etc. etc etc

I see what you're getting at.

For what it's worth, I still have UAC on, and I only run things as an admin where necessary, but sadly, you can't be sure what people have done on their end, and often running the installer as an admin avoids those issues.

Kyle Rodgers

I know, but you wrote that you have run always things as an admin - that was my reason to write you ;)