Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

DX10 User banner...

I got a surprise query a couple of days ago, in that one of our DX10 flyers asked if he could use my banner - the blue mess at the bottom of my posts... so, 'yes' was my reply - 'of course', but it's left me thinking that we really do need some kind of "more professional-looking" banner than my original thing - so I'll throw it out there:

Will someone - anyone - who can use Corel's Paint Shop Pro, Adobe's PhotoShop, or the Gimp freeware - get set down and come up with a nice, smart-looking design for a banner, 500 x 125 pixels, that will tell the world just how good this change to DX10 is? A DX10 Promo banner...and then publish it with a link.

I reckon that this would be great for it to be coincident with, or in advance of, the release of the up-coming true "DX10 Scenery Fixer" application.

I have no cash, or in-kind donation, or even any promise (at this time) for the chosen author, but only to say that a great amount of fame will be forthcoming, along with the gratitude of thousands of us 'DX10-ers'!

Start Painting!

All the Best,

Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Good idea Paul!  Pinned as requested.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Paul, I kind of like your banner AND that's why I made the request!! :clapping:

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Paul, I kind of like your banner AND that's why I made the request!! :clapping:

Nice of you to say, Bob, but my wife would quickly come back with "There's no accountin' for taste..."

:LMAO:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Some of the themes that anyone creative trying to develop a banner could be....

---- Cockpit Shadows providing more immersion into flightsim

---- Water enhancements with water animations

---- Better exterior and more efficient shadowing

---- Optimizations for photoscenery

Just suggestions....

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yah! C'mon, you creating guys! Quit flyin' - start designin'!  :lol:

Well here's what I came up with. Guess what theme I used. lol 

I've never really made something like this before so it took me a little while. Let me know what you guys think and what changes need to be made.

And yes I used that first pic from Steve's blog to show off the dx10 water. Hope he doesn't mind. It's just such a perfect example. The other two pics were taken in my sim to show vc shadowing and the enhanced light bloom. 

Here's the link too:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/e362/dtomd007n66gd5sfg.jpg?size_id=4

ooooooh... right now you're winning, Trey...  :lol: 

Let's hope it has some competition.....

The question is, Trey - is there anything you want to change? :lol:

OK, seriously - I like the layout- - it's very good - 10/10.

I like the lettering. It's a good, readable font and size, very straight-forward & uncomplicated - 10/10  . Notice - mine is not - it's all over the place, and with a font that's difficult to read.

Left pic: the water is the same as DX9 water: I don't see whitecaps! DX10 has whitecaps.

Center pic: is quite dark - against a white forum background one has to look closely to see that it's a cockpit.

Right pic: is file - good night lighting, good shot.

Remember, too, Trey - I'm just one guy, with some kind of an opinion, and so is everyone else here, so we shall run a poll and let everyone have a vote on which one represents the DX10 feeling, excitement, mood - what the highlights are - best.

Goodbye, OOM's!         

We'll give it a month, say all entries in by October 7th, Start the Poll and close it on the 14th. That should give enough time for half-a-dozen artists to show off their skills!. I reckon that it ought to be one entry per person, too, (but some might be vocal and persuade me different!).... 

I've never really made something like this before so it took me a little while. Let me know what you guys think and what changes need to be made.

Left pic: the water is the same as DX9 water: I don't see whitecaps! DX10 has whitecaps.

Center pic: is quite dark - against a white forum background one has to look closely to see that it's a cockpit.

Right pic: is file - good night lighting, good shot.

TexXan: I like the work you have done and also like Paul J's idea on Left Pic whitecaps and Center Pic a little dark.

How about some small lettering on each picture that would give Users unfamiliar with DX10 some idea of why that particular picture is a DX10 plus for them?

Thanks for the work!

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD