Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

The truth about FTX Global vs GEX World

FXTG, two sides every story, overwrites default files its well known. Orbx never plays by the rules

Gex overwrites default files too. Hundreds of them. And backs them up, just like orbx does.

Oh, and can you get me a copy of "the rules"?

FTXG is great and i highly recommend it.  However, it makes the world way way too green.  Anyone know when the will have a patch to address this?

Agreed.  I went over to a friends house here to try it out before I buy it and flying SSE out of SFO was just a total bummer.  Green everywhere, farm fields on the mountains (I know, it's the landclass problem) but the central valley here in CA is green for about 2 - 3 months out of the year before going back to golden brown everywhere.

Not bashing ORBx, I really want to get onboard and support the guys, but most of my flights are into and out of CA and I'm not ready to part with my money until something is resolved on that end.

089327bad7087b8f202769307b435ba9.jpg

M. Starks - Senior Charter Pilot

Agreed.  I went over to a friends house here to try it out before I buy it and flying SSE out of SFO was just a total bummer.  Green everywhere, farm fields on the mountains (I know, it's the landclass problem) but the central valley here in CA is green for about 2 - 3 months out of the year before going back to golden brown everywhere.

Not bashing ORBx, I really want to get onboard and support the guys, but most of my flights are into and out of CA and I'm not ready to part with my money until something is resolved on that end.

If Orbx Northern California (how long have I waited for this???) will accomplish this - have the ranges to the west of the Central Valley be brown/tan in the summer and fall / greener in the winter and spring - that will be a major selling point.

As it is now, I can fly photoscenery for half a year.  I can't stand seeing brown hills in the winter or green ones in the summer.

Gex overwrites default files too. Hundreds of them. And backs them up, just like orbx does.

Oh, and can you get me a copy of "the rules"?

Orbx does not follow parameters set out by sdk kits its well known amoung some developers they played this tune for years.

Orbx wants to control the scenery market particulary where small airfields are and ftx helps make that possible with its textures Perfer they play fair allow other users add ons to work and coexist with thier setup. FTX like footings on a house and thier intent to control who plays to thier rules instead of sdk kit rules. Provide a warning label with its add-ons would help at least installer and unistaller included.

Orbx will take over scenery market because thier Ceo knows that small airfields are where the real money is made. Remaking, JFK whocares overdone nowdays anyways. Make small airfield in Alaska or Canada with beat up sheds, and buildings and trucks on ciderblocks, old man reading the paper that stands out that draws in people looks great common in rural minnesota. Its software under the hood is the issuse.

gizmosellsbunnys, you ain't gonna make to many friends with that post... :He He:

Not too worried lol. Better to be honest let users know be careful with thier products. Orbx wants small airports strips as they are oil wells of profit.

Orbx does not follow parameters set out by sdk kits its well known amoung some developers they played this tune for years.
Orbx wants to control the scenery market particulary where small airfields are and ftx helps make that possible with its textures Perfer they play fair allow other users add ons to work and coexist with thier setup.

I hear you keep saying that over and over, but tell me again, what addons can't FTX Global coexist with??

Who cares what they change or not as long as it works, as far as I can see they haven't broken any compitabilities with any scenery with FTX GLobal.

With the hybrid mode you can even use their regions with whatever addon you want and they coexist nicely(except Santorini X, France VFR, and Flytampa Grenadines for obvious reasons(custom autogen, not Orbx fault))...

It's like Nick N words is like they came from god himself, and now it's gathering alot of followers and it starts to look like a cult, that worship he's teachings about the devil(Orbx). And they use he's teachings whenever they can to fight the evil Orbx empire and their followers.....

I hear you keep saying that over and over, but tell me again, what addons can't FTX Global coexist with??

Someone whom you can't see might as well ask you, "How many fingers am I holding up?"

If you don't understand, then I'm sorry for you.

Orbx wants to control the scenery market particulary where small airfields are and ftx helps make that possible with its textures Perfer they play fair allow other users add ons to work and coexist with thier setup. FTX like footings on a house and thier intent to control who plays to thier rules instead of sdk kit rules. Provide a warning label with its add-ons would help at least installer and unistaller included.

Orbx will take over scenery market because thier Ceo knows that small airfields are where the real money is made. Remaking, JFK whocares overdone nowdays anyways. Make small airfield in Alaska or Canada with beat up sheds, and buildings and trucks on ciderblocks, old man reading the paper that stands out that draws in people looks great common in rural minnesota. Its software under the hood is the issuse.

cool, now let's go through this:

"does not follow parameters set out by sdk"    It's true.  guess who else exceeds parameters set out by the sdk?  A2A.  PMDG.  Majestic.  France VFR.  FlyTampa.  RealityXP.  ENB. sweetfx. FSDreamteam.  Opus.  list is far more extensive than this.  far less developers feel constrained by the SDK than don't.

"textures are made to control the scenery market"  how exactly?  is this an "underpants gnomes"  business scheme?  how exactly do other sceneries not coexist? there are only a handful that are affected by Global, and they are only affected because they didn't use the default descriptions for autogen.  it's cool,  I'm glad they don't,  which is why ORBX has offered to include their changes so they can be compatible.   I have lots of freeware airfields that aren't compatible with UTX because of coastline issues.  I have airports that look horrible with addon terrain mesh because of plateau issues.  does that make UTX and FSGenesis evil horrible people?

orbx in large parts created the market for vfr airports.  prior to them,  no one thought it was good business strategy to make anything other than what catered to tubeliner fliers.  the reason why nobody else has them is because they neglected that part of the market.

the only person I see trying to control the scenery market is NickN....

You are wrong. The SDK even provides the necessary tools so that developers can modify those files you are so worried about. (Not only ORBX btw).  

Google is your Friend, Phil Taylor's Blog too.

The tune you talk about is old; limited, repetitive, contains errors and needed a workup.  Sooner or later somebody was going to tackle it. I’m glad someone took the initiative.  Good for ORBX.

Uninstallers:

Why would you want to uninstall a product you just bought?

Wouldn’t it be better if you informed yourself before doing so?

In any case you can always disable the add-on, or in extreme cases delete its folder and some other files under Scenery\World\Scenery.

You can also keep a fresh backup of your immaculate FSX setup before you install any devilish ORBX add-on.

If you are worried ORBX takes over the scenery market by making small airfields and modifying those files, then I suggest you advice those other developers to join forces and/or follow suit and also tell them to include "beat up sheds, and buildings and trucks on ciderblock , old man reading the paper that stands"

Someone whom you can't see might as well ask you, "How many fingers am I holding up?"

that's not even close.  if you are going to make an allegation that other scenery addons can't work with FTXG then the onus is on you to prove that there are.  if you don't know the answer because you don't have the product,  then you should admit that you are making accusations from a position of ignorance and hearsay.

No I don't understand please explain... 8P  :crazy:

And this is how same avsim users(who don't even own FTXG, but they have anti - ORBX agenda)have managed to create one more thread about non-existent issues in an attempt to create uncertainty (about FTXG) for average simmers who don't know to much about how FSX works, SDK etc... They do this again and again... You now why? 

"If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap."

And while this thread is heading to imminent closure, i was wondering why they are allowed to do this every time... Can we have some rules about posting so many unfounded negative things? It's realy annoying! 

I had a notice that someone had replied to an earlier post of mine stating such:

------------ QUOTE ----------
I can look in the FSX SDK to see what all of the original files are for, and what their attributes and values are.  Has ORBX published what their changes incorporate?
-----------------------------

This list may not be exhaustive:

AutogenDescriptions.spb
- default.xml
- lclookup.bgl
- RoofDescriptions.spb
- terrain.cfg

I don't see the post now, so I imagine that this person has wisely taken to the hills away from this mire of a topic.  (It did begin so nicely....)

I just want to add that I'm aware of these changes and after a while on my first FSX PC, after I had taken the Orbx region plunge, I noticed that things had graphically gotten out of hand with those files.  After faithfully running FTX Central to change from one region to the other, these files had become "out of sync" with what they should have been.  My "default" files had traces of Orbx references and there was no way to recover save for a new install.  I put that off until recently when I was forced to rebuild my FSX.

During that rebuild I made an effort to maintain separate folders for those files to keep clean copies of Default, Oceania, EU, NA, Aerosoft, and even FranceVFR versions.  I have a small utility program that I run to copy and verify that the proper set of these files are in place.  Now I do not see gables on roofs, nor any other graphic anomalies.

My remaining questions start with "what are the new landclass definitions that Orbx is using for FTXG?"

According to the FSX SDK's authors (and if anyone cares to know, they made the rules) land classification #42 is "Cold Grassland."  I can do quick research to see what "Cold Grassland" means, and easily look up in files to see what's where.  I can even look at the files to see what they look like for each region and season.  Likewise, land classification #44 is "Mire Bog Fen."  WHATEVER THAT IS??? :P

I imagine that Orbx has changed / altered some of the existing classifications.  I imagine that's why there were the "green US Southwest" posts for a bit.  My imaginings are that the default landclass files had certain classes in the US Southwest that were represented by brownish hues and (for their own good reasons) Orbx replaced those classes with greenish-hued classes.

All it took to "fix" this for users was the publishing of newer landclass files in the 1.1 patch.  Good on them!  I'm fairly confident that once the "OpenLC" files are done with, the "final" FTXG world will look a peach!  I can imagine that because I also imagine that Orbx has introduced their own land classifications.

But as someone who might want to tinker with his own "FTXG world," I'd like to have an SDK-ish set of documents that show what Orbx has defined.  That's all.  Until then, I'll reserve judgment and drool over the posted pics.

Now if Orbx has published such, then fooey on me for not knowing that.  I don't think they're evil / the devil / corrupt / devourer of kittens.  I just want to know what they've done to provide such a cool facelift.

that's not even close.  if you are going to make an allegation that other scenery addons can't work with FTXG then the onus is on you to prove that there are.  if you don't know the answer because you don't have the product,  then you should admit that you are making accusations from a position of ignorance and hearsay.

Straw man.  I've not alleged any such thing.

I've only wondered what are the changes/addendum Orbx has introduced to FSX SDK published items.  If you know what they are, please direct me to them.  Thanks.

well, to be fair, "unfounded negative things" is the lifeblood of any internet forum.  If they went away this place would be a ghost town.  I don't really care about the usual trolling, but something needs to be said about the developers and people who should know better who are egging this on.  Shame on their houses.