Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

The truth about FTX Global vs GEX World

I have all of ORBX regions and the rest of the world is GEX

Both are great! obviously orbx regions are the bees knees but the new GEX is outstanding with no frame rate impact at all, I actually have higher FPS

ZORAN

Good comparison, but you completely neglected to mention the 3d night lighting system FTXG has and GEX does not (other than the one tiny mention about turning off UTX's lights because Global has them).  Massive difference there.

Very nice, unbiased review. So nice to actually read a post on this subject without it turning into Somalia.

I have owner GEX and now own FTXG. I honestly like both, but I find/found for my budget, getting the whole world for that price was too much to pass up. I also own some of their regions, so I know their quality.

I look forward to their LC updates, and they will also be releasing freeware and payware airports for FTXG. They really are two different products. One, FTXG IMO aims to simplify all aspects if LC/textures as it will be one program that runs it all. Updates will continue and improve/change the world.

That is not saying GEX is clunky or does not do the job. It does it well. They just have a different approach is all. Different pricing, and development tools/ideas. Neither is wrong, or forces unwanted changes.

Just my 2cents. Thanks again for the OP review/post and everyone else for keeping this thread one of the sane ones!!! Lol.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

8 regions, 34,95$ for each one, total price 279,60$ versus FTX Global for 100$

When it comes to price the choice is easy :rolleyes:

Actually there are only 5 regions, 6 once Australia/Antarctia is finished, and all are free to those who already use GEX.... still more than FTXG if you want to entire world, but personally I find the performance much better. 

Jay

Actually there are only 5 regions, 6 once Australia/Antarctia is finished, and all are free to those who already use GEX.... still more than FTXG if you want to entire world, but personally I find the performance much better.

http://gex.flight1.net/

I counted 8, when I click on each region it comes with a price tag, except Oceania coming soon(probably have a price tag too when released). And some of them even cost 44,95$, so it even get more expensive than my privious calculations -_-

I can't find that I get anything for free on that webpage...Only something about 20% discount if owning bla bla bla...

I counted 8, when I click on each region it comes with a price tag,

The map is a bit confusing, but if you look again, you will see that there are only 5, but some are split so when you highlight them, only part of the region shows.

Jay

Ah, sorry about that my bad. So the price will be around 200$ for 6 regions+- Slightly variation in price on each region and discount? correct?

Still twice as expensive as FTX Global..

I was (and still am for that matter) a massive fan of GEX. I think those guys have done a terrific job. And I'm not bothered about product price differentials (am I really going to buy scenery just because it's cheaper ?) or fancy lighting.  But I can't deny that FTXG (combined with UTX and FSGenesis mesh) gives a much more realistic view of the area that I fly in, which is northern Europe.

The one thing that wasn't mentioned in the OP review, but has been discussed at great length elsewhere, is the fact that GEX 'plays by the rules' as far as FSX is concerned, whereas FTXG modifies base FSX files, which can lead to problems with other scenery products. And until recently, there was no FTXG uninstall capability, so anyone installing it would be well advised to take a full system backup first.

I would use them if they didn't have those unacceptable airport plateaus. Some of them are ridiculous. 

I would use them if they didn't have those unacceptable airport plateaus. Some of them are ridiculous. 

You mean the FSGenesis mesh ? I've heard this, but I haven't seen the problem where I fly. BTW I am not using the FSG NextMap mesh, just the previous lower resolution version. I did see some issues with NextMap.

You mean the FSGenesis mesh ? I've heard this, but I haven't seen the problem where I fly. BTW I am not using the FSG NextMap mesh, just the previous lower resolution version. I did see some issues with NextMap.

Yeah, FSGenesis. I remember Las Vegas, the approach into runways 25 were elevated about 100ft above the surrounding terrain. Boston had a plateau issue and San Francisco was crazy high. There were several airports in Africa that were thousands of feet higher than the rest of the terrain. One airport in Mexico had a sort of elevation error and literally went straight down to the center of the earth. 

The one thing that wasn't mentioned in the OP review, but has been discussed at great length elsewhere, is the fact that GEX 'plays by the rules' as far as FSX is concerned, whereas FTXG modifies base FSX files, which can lead to problems with other scenery products. And until recently, there was no FTXG uninstall capability, so anyone installing it would be well advised to take a full system backup first.

Hi Dick i hope you dont mind me adding a little to this :)

As more and more developers move away from the standard fsx sdk these problems might happen more often in the future but its not restricted to orbx software as a lot more developers want to give people the quality they want and to do that they have to move away from the sdk and make some edits on some of the other fsx files from time to time.

While 90% of people might never see a problem some could and then its all about the different developers working together to resolve any issues and most of them do. I know Orbx is happy to work with any developer to resolve issues that may happen and this is the same with many other developers.

Trees on runways is nothing new for fsx and its a very old bug that has been happening for a long time and the reason why the aces team put in a cfg command to help those who have the problem.

If all developers stayed within the sdk rules then we would not have great addons from developers like PMDG, A2A, Orbx, 29 Palms, Aerosoft etc.. it really is a long list tbh.

No risk no reward tbh as all our airports would look like upgraded stock ones and our aircraft would be equal to the Justflight F-Lite range. Simple.

-Paul-

Yeah, FSGenesis. I remember Las Vegas, the approach into runways 25 were elevated about 100ft above the surrounding terrain. Boston had a plateau issue and San Francisco was crazy high. There were several airports in Africa that were thousands of feet higher than the rest of the terrain. One airport in Mexico had a sort of elevation error and literally went straight down to the center of the earth. 

Very curious (and scary !) I haven't seen anything like that over here in Europe.

Hi Dick i hope you dont mind me adding a little to this :)

As more and more developers move away from the standard fsx sdk these problems might happen more often in the future but its not restricted to orbx software as a lot more developers want to give people the quality they want and to do that they have to move away from the sdk and make some edits on some of the other fsx files from time to time.

While 90% of people might never see a problem some could and then its all about the different developers working together to resolve any issues and most of them do. I know Orbx is happy to work with any developer to resolve issues that may happen and this is the same with many other developers.

Trees on runways is nothing new for fsx and its a very old bug that has been happening for a long time and the reason why the aces team put in a cfg command to help those who have the problem.

If all developers stayed within the sdk rules then we would not have great addons from developers like PMDG, A2A, Orbx, 29 Palms, Aerosoft etc.. it really is a long list tbh.

No risk no reward tbh as all our airports would look like upgraded stock ones and our aircraft would be equal to the Justflight F-Lite range. Simple.

Absolutely agree all of that. I only mentioned it to make people aware. 

IMO any product which breaks any of the 'rules' should carry a health warning to that effect. And clear instructions as to how to reverse the install process if necessary. That's the one thing that lets the ORBX folks down - their install/uninstall processes seem to be either problematic or in some cases even non-existent !

As I stated, both GEX and FTXG have positives and negatives, there is no clear concise winner, and it will take quite some time before a new "pack leader" will emerge within this category. What is interesting is what GEX and FTXG will have to push to gain & retain customers.

I am happy to see that members of AVSIM who have more in depth knowledge than me on this subject in particulars have been willing to jot down their experiences and findings in a rather calm and non aggressive manner, and thanks for that (not being sarcastic).

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg