Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

The truth about FTX Global vs GEX World

I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth if Orbx released a US region and then made you buy another region to get the latest patch for it like GEX does.

Some of your points are a bit glossed over. Some noted:

You didn't really point out the 3d lighting of FTXG. That alone is a huge immersion adding feature.

Also, yes both have custom autogen placement but they aren't created equal. FTXG also replaces the textures of the autogen and they provide denser, better annotated, better performing coverage with their processes. So while they "do the same thing" they don't "do the exact same thing" as you put it.

The green deserts thing was largely fixed with the latest patch. Of course GEX has color issues as well. Go take a plane up anywhere in the southern US and see if you see the light pea greens of GEX or the deeper green hues FTXG. Same for the NE and NW US.

You also seemed to give GEX brownie points because it's made to work with UTX and you spoke of them as a package. They are still separate products and UTX works great with FTXG. Owners of either package can use UTX just as well.

While you mentioned FTXG's price, you failed to point out how much more GEX Global coverage actually costs.

I am currently satisfied with GEX (NA and Tropics) and UTX, however FTXG does look better to me.

I won’t change just yet, but if I spent any more money on texture scenery, I would definitely go for FTXG….one and done. I think the higher pricing structure of GEX makes it a hard sell for someone just starting to invest in that type of scenery.

FTXG:

1- the more you lower altitude the more you see details => like the real flying

2- Cities have autogen and nice night lights with (vector lights for roads) no major fps hits => no more empty spaces in major cities on approach 

3- all the globe is covered example australia/asia

4- the blending of colours with other add ons  is smooth 

4- the new textures refresh FSX

I totally agree. I had the latest GEX (and it is a very good product, enjoyed having it aboard) but FSXG (IMO) has truly transformed the world to  'live mode'.  The State of Michigan at the VERY DENSE setting for scenery complexity and also VERY DENSE for auto-gen, has given me truly a virtual Michigan to fly over. The other huge bonus, is that I could drop both sliders down a notch and stay under O.O.M land.  GEX doesn't become 'less than' only because a new product has come along. Nope. It should only be what the user feels he or she needs to suspend disbelief and feel you are 'there'.  For myself...it is FSXG until I see something new come from the GEX folks.  Nobody is saying that GEX can't come back from the corner and eclipse FSXG. I love competition, fast and furious....we all become winners.....

I have all of ORBX regions and the rest of the world is GEX

Both are great! obviously orbx regions are the bees knees but the new GEX is outstanding with no frame rate impact at all, I actually have higher FPS

Just to let you know, there has been absolutely not one FPS loss in using FSXG.  I had a 30 locked FPS with GEX 1.099, and have the same with  FSXG. As another pointed out, I have much more dense forested areas and the like, with FSXG, and still no FPS degradation.  The word is fabulous....

I get exactly the same results with GEX and others are getting with FTXG, nice to have choices :P

Jay

Yeah, FSGenesis. I remember Las Vegas, the approach into runways 25 were elevated about 100ft above the surrounding terrain. Boston had a plateau issue and San Francisco was crazy high. There were several airports in Africa that were thousands of feet higher than the rest of the terrain. One airport in Mexico had a sort of elevation error and literally went straight down to the center of the earth. 

Have you tried using the latest versions of the FSGenesis mesh? (just the standards, not the NextMap)

I believe they have gone through and removed most if not all of the airport plateaus.

I'm using it with Orbx Global and haven't yet found a plateau.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

One other point perhaps.

Orbx is very pro P3D. Flight1 is very anti P3D.

In the event that P3D would become mainstream, which Orbx thinks it will, the. Your previous investement with FTXG goes a lot further as it is fully compatible.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Hmmm....good point.  I'm sitting on the fence...don't have either.  I like the way GEX looks lighter and more real.  FTX products always look dark to me.  I generally like flying PNW only at dawn, dusk and night where it doesn't have as much impact.  We have enough issues with the eternal cloudy day with FSX and when you add the darkness it just looks gloomy and not what I saw when flying RW.  But, in terms of P3D, FTX lighting and price, FTX is better..

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

GEX 'plays by the rules' as far as FSX is concerned, whereas FTXG modifies base FSX files, which can lead to problems with other scenery products.

Could you please tell me wich products FTX Global makes problems for except GEX obviously?

I have most sceneries money can buy from all developers in the FSX market and have yet not found any problems using them together with FTX Global.

This is just the same scare tactics and arguments Nick N used and it is all just bull.... arguments..

That's the one thing that lets the ORBX folks down - their install/uninstall processes seem to be either problematic or in some cases even non-existent !

Uninstalling Orbx products can be done manually quite easy..... And FTX Global can now be unistalled with and uninstaller... What's the big deal here?

That is also one of the reasons I stick with Orbx, because I also use P3D...

I only support devs that support my needs..

Uninstalling Orbx products can be done manually quite easy..... And FTX Global can now be unistalled with and uninstaller... What's the big

deal here?

I agree - you can uninstall FTXG manually, but only if (a) you know which files it has changed and  you backed them up before install. In the case of FTXG, the initial implication was that it only replaced textures (like GEX), and these could be backed up as part of the installation. Not quite true. As a result, there will be those out there who cannot remove it completely if they wanted to. But hopefully they won't want to !

Could you please tell me wich products FTX Global makes problems for except GEX obviously?

The only problems that I have seen personally so far have been with some freeware airports, where trees have suddenly started sprouting from the runways and taxiways. I'm told this is because ORBX changed a texture that is commonly used by developers for airport pads, so quite possible it will turn up elsewhere.

I agree - you can uninstall FTXG manually, but only if (a) you know which files it has changed and you backed them up before install.

I ment the Orbx regions and airports when I talked about manual deleting. FTX Global has an uninstaller now so it's not an issue at all anymore..... Have tested it and it works flawlessly so there is nothing to be scared of anymore, really there isn't. ^_^

I am actually glad they are changing the core files to avoid alot of FSX limitations, if they didn't alot of the features I like about FTX Global would not be possible...

FTX Global has an uninstaller now so it's not an issue at all anymore..... Have tested it and it works flawlessly  

Glad to hear it - shame it wasn't there on day 1 though. . It's a pretty fundamental requirement.  Think I'll still put my faith in Acronis though :smile:

I am actually glad they are changing the core files to avoid alot of FSX limitations, if they didn't alot of the features I like about FTX Global would not be possible...

I agree. As long as everything else works, I'm happy.

Think I'll still put my faith in Acronis though

Yeah, Acronis is great when a reinstall of FSX is needed. Saves alot of time B)

I can look in the FSX SDK to see what all of the original files are for, and what their attributes and values are.  Has ORBX published what their changes incorporate?

Has ORBX published what their changes incorporate?

Who cares as long as it works. Again, give me an example of any addons that don't work with FTX Global?

They do change the files so they can do things the SDK never alllowed them to do, so that we a customers get a better product. For all I care they can rewrite the whole freaking SIM as long as everything works..

Could someone do me a favor who has FTXG and post a few screen shots of the night lighting, specifically one from about 1000' AGL looking down and one from about 500; looking at an angle?

TIA

Jay