Sign in to follow this  
machie

Long Time Issue with the Missing msstdfmt.dll File

I have a problem with the msstdfmt.dll file.

Before I talk about the problem I want to state clearly that I have read and tried all the information provided in the pinned posts. For the most part I do not understand them I have been using my flight simulator for over 20 years and have used radar contact almost since its initial onset and development. I bought each new version as it came along and many times but two or three copies of each version during computer seven rebuilds etc. I know that you don’t need to buy new copies of the program each time you reinstall it but sometimes that is just easier than going through the long involved process of contacting JD. I never really minded this since I love the program and any cash that JD gets will help support further development of radar contact.

I do need some help, and this help must be geared toward a person who is not all that technically enabled when it comes to working within the system files and DOS/Windows etc. when I followed the directions listed in the pinned posts I run into a problem right off the bat---I am running Windows 8 and when I open a DOS window(which is difficult for me in the first place) the first instruction is to hit the enter key to change the DOS line to a different command--- when I hit the enter key all that happens is that a new DOS line forms with the same old syswow64 command.

I do not think that I have the msstdfmt.dll file on my computer and when I look up information about getting this file online I read over and over again that it is not a good idea to download this particular file from the Internet--- the information on the Internet says to reinstall the program which uses this particular file but I don’t think this will work for radar contact since each time I install a new copy of radar contact they get the same old error message about the missing dill file--- I only get this message after I attempt to install a flight plan I don’t know if this has something to do with the problem

Should I ask JD for a new downloadable copy of radar contact in start all over I’m so frustrated this radar contact program is really key and essential to having a good airline flight radar contact along with programs like FS build, REX, PMDG Aircraft and Mega 2.0 scenery all coming together to provide a realistic simulation experience without any one of these along with probably eight or nine others the simulation experience is sorely lacking I hope that I’ve been clear and asking my question I have experienced so much frustration over this radar contact program that I am somewhat at my wits end

Cheers and thanks for any help that might be forthcoming I would love to get this problem solved within the next few days I am rebuilding my Sim from the ground up this includes the entire United States worth of mega scenery 2.0 bank and excited to get back flying for my virtual airlines which is the flying Tigers virtual group

Thanks again

Dorn Cranert ----

Up until VISTA or may XP Microsoft included runtime libraries use by the Visual Basic Microsoft language that RC is programmed in. These are no longer in Win 7 or Win 8.

I do not have win 8 so this may be slightly different. Login in as administrator or yourself if you have administrator rights. Open explorer or click on My Computer and then your C: disk drive. In the menu bar if you have Tools or options, click on those, the views, then select show hidden files and folders. In your C:\ drive right click on an empty space, then new, the Folder. That folder will have the default name New Folder. Right click on that folder and click Rename then enter install msstdfmt.

Now lets get the file:

I found this link reliable to get that file:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msstdfmt

and use the direct download zip button, not the fixer button. Save the zip to a the download folder you created.

Unzip to that created folder and you should see the .dll there along with an install text file. (I scanned this dll from this source with Norton and it passed.) If you do not have a separate unzip app then win itself should do it by clicking on the file.

Using explorer browse to the folder you expanded the zip into that contains the .dll. Right click and select copy with your mouse.

Browse to in your windows folder C:\Windows\System32. In that open folder right click and select Paste. Also repeat by browsing to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ and paste in there.

Now you can open the command line window. Type in that window:

Type

regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll

and press Enter.

That should work.

Let us know if in win 8 you can successfully browse to those windows folders, copy the dll into them, and register them in the command line.

Did this work for you?

Hi Ronzie

Thank you for the long detailed reply---I got a copy of msstdfmt into both of the folders that you named but the RC still gives the 713 runtime error and says that it need the msstdmt.dll file---I already had the files in the two folders and was asked to overwrite---which I did---any ideas?

Cheers

Dorn

You need to run the command line window regsrv32 as quoted and be logged on as an administrator. Did it give you any error messages?

I got this error code  0x8002801c.

The message was

The module "msstdfmt.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.

the dos window wasn't opened as admin. right mouse click the dos command on the start menu, click run as administrator

if you are running 32 bit windows do the following

cd c:\windows\system32

regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll /u

regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll

exit

if you are running 64 bit windows, do the following

cd c:\windows\syswow64

regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll /u

regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll

exit

i agree, the downloading and installing of the vb run time library is torcherous, and prone to errors left and right. i would think they could have done a better job.

regardless, if this doesn't fix the problem, email me.

all of this is based on the assumption the file msstdfmt.dll is in one of the two places mentioned above

jd

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/i-got-error-0x8002801c-in-windows-7-register-ocx/471a9b26-88c1-4765-9417-bae27ff8fe3b

Follow the part on right clicking the command prompt icon and selecting run as administrator. Leave msstdfmt.dll in both folders. Ignore for noe the referrences to comcntrl.

See what happens.

I was able to follow the instructions from JD---the RC is working--now that I have fixed this it is on to the next month or so of really rebuilding my Flight Sim into something special---thanks for all the careful and detailed help