Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

CTD right after MS alert chimes

Good afternoon,

I was completing my 1st online flight today from DFW to LAX using the 777. I was on approach about 10-15 miles out from LAX (FSDT scenery) when I heard chimes in the background (MS alert style chiming). I changed the view when I observed there was texture problems followed by: Flight Simulator Has Stopped Working. The program closed then of course.

I am NOT thinking this is an OOM issue as I have had one before flying into CYVR (FSDT) using the Aerosoft Airbus and it specifically stated "Out of Memory". I also noticed the alert chiming when flying a test flight from PHX to LAX but did not have a CTD then. Is this an OOM in disguise? Or is there possibly a different conflict with my software/hardware? Thanks. I apologize if this has been answered before, but I am not sure this applies to other things I have read.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

This type of crash after view change could be an UIAutomationCore.dll issue. Unless you've already done so, this file is available from PMDG and numerous other locations. The chime was probably the stews letting you know that the cabin was ready for landing, message appears on the EICAS briefly. I don't yet fly on line but many of the other betas do and they didn't mention problems during test, but might not hurt to try it without the connection just to see if you can sort it out through elimination.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have the UIAutomationCore.dll fix. I rarely have CTD's regardless. They happen on occasion but I dont usually wory about them. It was not the cabin chime, I know that for certain. This was a MS windows chime though I could not find any error boxes in Windows which is weird.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Maybe it is time to take the vacumn cleaner to your rig... I know I am over due and just asking from trouble.

Dan Downs KCRP

Brian, do you have FSUIPC installed? It gives a repeated chime warning when free memory becomes critically low.

Michael

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I do have FSUIPC (Full) Installed. I guess I can try to reduce my autogen or disable other addon airports when I am not flying to them. This one was just new and different then other crashes I have experienced over the years.

Brian A. Neuman

I got the same thing right after I landed at Dubai with my brand new 777. Did you install any scenery prior or after pmdg 777? Also, make sure your scenery order is set in order which really helped me get rid of OOM issues. My order is something this (starting from top):

1. Mega Airports

2. Complex airports then others

3. VFR sceneries

4. Photosceneries

Try it out. Good luck.

Zain Uddin

There is a good discussion of virtual memory in the introduction. Ryan has recommendations that you can try. The airports should not be a problem but photorelistic scenery is a killer even if it is not in the same part of the world.

Dan Downs KCRP

As Dan mentioned please review the Introduction document. There is extensive information that has been developed through PMDG's years of experience with this issue. It will assist in taking some of the ambiguity and mystery out of these types of issues.

I read the intro. I have no photo scenery installed. I have several airports, UTX USA and FTX global installed. The chiming followed by the CTD is what concerned me as that has never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brian A. Neuman

I have no photo scenery installed.

...but...

I have [...] FTX global installed.

Forgive me for not knowing this for sure, but isn't this what FTX global is? (Photo scenery, or might as well be?)

Kyle Rodgers

...but...

Forgive me for not knowing this for sure, but isn't this what FTX global is? (Photo scenery, or might as well be?)

Hi Kyle,

My understanding when I bought it that it is NOT photo scenery. It is replacement textures for default scenery. It was said that the texture size is the same as default. I guess the okay way to verify it is to check memory usage while using either. It is not a mega scenery product that touts photo scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

That chiming is a warning that you are about to run out of memory

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

My understanding when I bought it that it is NOT photo scenery. It is replacement textures for default scenery. It was said that the texture size is the same as default. I guess the okay way to verify it is to check memory usage while using either. It is not a mega scenery product that touts photo scenery.

Fair enough - I'd always assumed it would still be a heavy hitter, VAS-wise, but I don't have it, so I'm not sure.  There's a tool that's mentioned in the intro manual (I think - it could've been in the many thousand beta emails) that will help you keep an eye on VAS use, which you can use in turning things on and off, and dropping sliders down to find the best fit for you.

Kyle Rodgers