Sign in to follow this  
sofence

RNAV Approach issues

Hi,

I've tried an RNAV approach at KPAE (plain field) on runway 34L, but while pushing the APP button on the MCP, nothings happens, so I had to continue on a visual approach. I actually tried this RNAV approach three times and same result, nothing...

Somebody have the same issue? 

Thanks.

Did you have flight plan entered in FMS with approach selected?

Dan Downs KCRP

APP mode? RNAV's are meant to be done in LNAV/VNAV.... 

Why do you think you need to push the app button for a RNAV approach. genuinely curios?

Rob Prest

Why do you think you need to push the app button for a RNAV approach. genuinely curios?

I think it comes back to the whole "This isn't the 737"  :lol:

I think it comes back to the whole "This isn't the 737"  :lol:[/quote

Ah ok :) never flown the NG, was wondering why he would think that would be a correct procedure on T7]

Rob Prest

I am having the exact same issue. No ILS FREQ is put on the radios hence forced to proceed visually. How do I put it manually anyway?

Let me do that procedure once again JUST with the LNAV and VNAV activated and I'll come back to you.

Ah ok :) never flown the NG, was wondering why he would think that would be a correct procedure on T7]

I never used the feature in the NGX personally - but I think it was called 'Iron' mode or something. Basically created a LOC/GS on the PFD if you were doing a non-precision approach. So you didn't have to use LNAV/VNAV.

I am having the exact same issue. No ILS FREQ is put on the radios hence forced to proceed visually. How do I put it manually anyway?

By reading the documentation that came with the aircraft.

Rob Prest

Let me do that procedure once again JUST with the LNAV and VNAV activated and I'll come back to you.

I tested RNAV's heavily during testing and never saw issues. Remember to set Missed Approach Altitude at least 300ft BELOW passing the MAA. 

I never used the feature in the NGX personally - but I think it was called 'Iron' mode or something. Basically created a LOC/GS on the PFD if you were doing a non-precision approach. So you didn't have to use LNAV/VNAV.

Interesting, I should have a read through the NG FCOM when I get a chance.

Cheers

Rob Prest

Here: FCTM Pg 5.29. I didn't trust my memory and had to double check that LNAV/VNAV are intended to fly the RNAV approaches. You will notice the the RNP/ANP values will change once you are in the approach that is in the flightplan.

Dan Downs KCRP