Sign in to follow this  
RENESIS

Which component causes the perf bottleneck?

And screenshot (Note: FPS in this instance was 14.1. Clearing the weather saw FPS shoot back up to 30.):

Looking at that screenshot, I can tell you that it's not your CPU or RAM that is holding you back there. I take it you don't have an Affinitymask entry in the cfg or use 15. In that case, as long as Core#0 isn't running close to 100% its something else holding you back. In this case I strongly suspect your GPU. I also wouldn't use an external limiter. I'd set the internal limiter to 30FPS and lower the FFTF down to the 0.10-0.20 range.

I later replaced it with a GTX 670 2GB. There was no difference at all with flight sim.

Curious.  This runs counter to Nick's insistence otherwise with bottklenecks needing to match CPU to GPU.  Personally, as a long time pc builder/modder, I dont buy his argument.

Upgrade that 4GB of ram to 16GB. When I upgraded from 8GB to 16GB I could not believe the performance increase. My Rig: i7, 580GTX, 16GB ram, vraptor HDD, 1920X1080 display. Most bang for buck I ever spent on FSX.

I find this most unlikely given FSX's 32 bit limitations.

spacer.png

I get excellent performance from my 660 ti (voltage mod 1300 OC, ram 760) running with a 4.5Ghz 4770k at 1920x1080.  The ONLY thing that throttles performance in my FSX setup is heavy cloud cover. I would be most grateful to see a gtx 780 or Titan owner flatly prove that their GPU can overcome this difficulty in FSX.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Look at the frame rates for the Titan especially for the cloud tests in Word Not Allowed's test here.

http://#####.wordpress.com/fsxp3d-gpu-comparison-aka-gtx-titan-for-fsx-test/

The 780 is very close to the Titan and much cheaper.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for that link.  Encouraging results performance wise, but still not what I would consider perfect considering the expense, even for a 780. If there was only a way to limit the scope of AA for cloud rendering; that would be a huge performance increase.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Sadly that's about as good as it's going to get for FSX unless something radical happens with hardware. Modern games will benefit enormously from the 780 but the way FSX was designed it just cannot benefit to the same degree.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

An interesting thread.  I am in the process of acquiring the hardware for a new build, so far have  i74770K, HAFX, ASUS Maximus VI Hero, win764 Ultimate and a Gigabyte factory OC 770.  Then I came across NickN's "Bible" and to my dismay he comes down strongly on the side of the 780 when paired with the i74770K. According to Nick:

"...if you are building new and you want what this processor and system has to offer then do not neuter the Haswell and go with the GTX780 at any CPU speed.s is the first  intel processor that does not bottleneck the with highest end video card on the market running with a lower CPU speed and the 780 is the best card for this processor."

Unfortunately my supplier doesn't do "change of mind" returns so what do i do?  Just go with the 770 and see what happens or sell the 770, take a 100-150 AUD hit and shell out another 800 plus AUD on a 780. What in game difference will a 780 it make over a 770? 

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Unfortunately my supplier doesn't do "change of mind" returns so what do i do?

Which supplier did you purchase from? Have you opened the box/used it at all?

Where abouts in Australia are you?

As far as difference in FSX, the main things the 780 will do noticably better is AA, particularly in bad weather etc.

An interesting thread.  I am in the process of acquiring the hardware for a new build, so far have  i74770K, HAFX, ASUS Maximus VI Hero, win764 Ultimate and a Gigabyte factory OC 770.  Then I came across NickN's "Bible" and to my dismay he comes down strongly on the side of the 780 when paired with the i74770K. According to Nick:

"...if you are building new and you want what this processor and system has to offer then do not neuter the Haswell and go with the GTX780 at any CPU speed.s is the first  intel processor that does not bottleneck the with highest end video card on the market running with a lower CPU speed and the 780 is the best card for this processor."

Unfortunately my supplier doesn't do "change of mind" returns so what do i do?  Just go with the 770 and see what happens or sell the 770, take a 100-150 AUD hit and shell out another 800 plus AUD on a 780. What in game difference will a 780 it make over a 770? 

Bruceb

Funny cause he was recommending that 770 to everyone to couple with Haswell, while bashing the 680. When I pointed out to him the 770 was just a reworked 680 for the most part, he deleted my posts, banned me from the forums and started with all that 780 + Haswell thing.

Just get the 770 and ignore Nick the revelator, seriuosly. Haswell is just a 10% faster than Ivy Bridge (which also supports PCIe 3.0 if that matters to you, and it shouldn't) and a 15% faster than Sandy Bridge, so it bottlenecks just the same in FSX typical CPU limited scenarios

Which supplier did you purchase from? Have you opened the box/used it at all?

Where abouts in Australia are you?

As far as difference in FSX, the main things the 780 will do noticably better is AA, particularly in bad weather etc.

MSY in Canberra and the box is unopened as  I am still waiting for other parts. I live at Merimbula on the NSW far south coast.  I checked MSY's conditions of sale and it says:

"We do not provide full refund or exchange for incorrectly ordered goods which have been delivered to you."

Bummer really just wished I had read Nicks guide a couple of weeks ago.  When i last checked what people were saying it was all about "Haswell/770 builds".

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

MSY - I've bought a lot of components from them (although I'm in Melbourne and can go directly in store). I've had no trouble swapping a few things that I decided against using, including a Motherboard and CPU cooler. Obviously they were unopened and unused when I did that.

Try quering it with them directly to see if you can do an exchange, perhaps you might just need to cover the postage costs.

A 780 will obviously be better than a 770, but as Dazz said FSX is CPU bottlenecked and a 770 will perform admirably.

That being said, I went from a 680 (basically a 770) to a 780 and noticed things were smoother with the 780.

If it were me I'd see what you can do with MSY, otherwise if you can't be bothered with the hassle a 770 will work well for you.