Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Must have performance tweaks

Hello guys,

This thread is PMDG related.

After the long awaited release of the PMDG 777X, I have seen several people complain about low framerates. I for one, like most of us, am also experiencing a slight decrease of framerates compared to the NGX, however, FPS is still very acceptable and above 30 95% of the times. What kept attracting my attention was that people with nearly the same systems as mine were reporting much much lower framerates. They could be running different settings of course, but I don't believe everyone would deliberately run settings that would drop their FPS to 15. So I presume under quite a few FSX users here and there are not familiar with some tweaks that take FSX performance a whole new level. So I decided to make a little guide with two tweaks that you need, and if you don't already have them, will help you all massively.

The file that is going to be tweaked is called your fsx.CFG, it basically tells FSX what to do and is located in C:/Users/<name>/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX. Please open the file with Notepad.

Here are the tweaks that you should apply and I will explain in short what they do (please note I am not a computer expert).

Under [Graphics] add HIGHMEMFIX=1. This will make FSX more stable and will avoid screen corruptions.

If you don't already have a [bufferPools] entry, type one manually on top of all your fsx.CFG entries, and right under it add PoolSize=0This tweak is in my opinion the holy grail of FSX's performance, because it will increase framerates by 30-50%.I presume the reason why people with similar systems as mine are reporting lower framerates is because they don't have this tweak applied, or at least, have other values for PoolSize. If you set higher values (not sure what values precisely) you are not going to see performance increase, however, stability will be increased.
But, as long as you have a balanced system, this tweak shouldn't cause any trouble at all, apart from a little bit of artifacting here and there at outside views. If you don't have a balanced system (i.e. good processor bad videocard) I discourage the use of this tweak because it makes FSX very unstable.

These two tweaks above, are basicall the only two must have tweaks for your fsx.CFG,

It all depends on one's system. It might not work for all.

Good that people are getting rid of bufferpools. I never understood why these are still used with modern hardware since it actually SLOWS down the sim.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

It all depends on one's system. It might not work for all.

No, this tweaks will have this effect on all modern day balanced systems, simple.

I have configured my bufferpools properly and the sim runs like knife through butter.

Arjen, I have both of those tweaks + some more, but at the moment T7 VC is a terrible frame eater for me (compared to NGX)... 

And Poolsize=0 might be a huge problem for a little weaker systems. ;)

Hello guys,

This thread is PMDG related.

After the long awaited release of the PMDG 777X, I have seen several people complain about low framerates. I for one, like most of us, am also experiencing a slight decrease of framerates compared to the NGX, however, FPS is still very acceptable and above 30 95% of the times. What kept attracting my attention was that people with nearly the same systems as mine were reporting much much lower framerates. They could be running different settings of course, but I don't believe everyone would deliberately run settings that would drop their FPS to 15. So I presume under quite a few FSX users here and there are not familiar with some tweaks that take FSX performance a whole new level. So I decided to make a little guide with two tweaks that you need, and if you don't already have them, will help you all massively.

The file that is going to be tweaked is called your fsx.CFG, it basically tells FSX what to do and is located in C:/Users/<name>/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX. Please open the file with Notepad.

Here are the tweaks that you should apply and I will explain in short what they do (please note I am not a computer expert).

Under [Graphics] add HIGHMEMFIX=1. This will make FSX more stable and will avoid screen corruptions.

If you don't already have a [bufferPools] entry, type one manually on top of all your fsx.CFG entries, and right under it add PoolSize=0. This tweak is in my opinion the holy grail of FSX's performance, because it will increase framerates by 30-50%.I presume the reason why people with similar systems as mine are reporting lower framerates is because they don't have this tweak applied, or at least, have other values for PoolSize. If you set higher values (not sure what values precisely) you are not going to see performance increase, however, stability will be increased.

But, as long as you have a balanced system, this tweak shouldn't cause any trouble at all, apart from a little bit of artifacting here and there at outside views. If you don't have a balanced system (i.e. good processor bad videocard) I discourage the use of this tweak because it makes FSX very unstable.

These two tweaks above, are basicall the only two must have tweaks for your fsx.CFG,

Trust me, people have been hacking away at fsx.cfg for YEARS! That and the tweaks you mentioned are kind of old news around these parts, I'm afraid.

In any case, configuring FSX is all about balance. Tweaks mean nothing in isolation. There are a number of comprehensive guides out there that can get people the performance they crave. I personally suggest Word Not Allowed's FSX/P3D Hardware and Software Setup Guide. NickN has a work in process as well. The Avsim "Official Guide" is yet another approach. Bottom line, there is MUCH more to consider. Look to these guides (choose just one and follow it to the letter, starting with a clean fsx.cfg) for setting FSX properly.

Trust me, people have been hacking away at fsx.cfg for YEARS! That and the tweaks you mentioned are kind of old news around these parts, I'm afraid.

In any case, configuring FSX is all about balance. Tweaks mean nothing in isolation. There are a number of comprehensive guides out there that can get people the performance they crave. I personally suggest Word Not Allowed's FSX/P3D Hardware and Software Setup Guide. NickN has a work in process as well. The Avsim "Official Guide" is yet another approach. Bottom line, there is MUCH more to consider. Look to these guides (choose just one and follow it to the letter, starting with a clean fsx.cfg) for setting FSX properly.

This is why we removed any mention of one particular tweak guide or another from the manual this time around. It's up to you what you want to use.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

What are everyone's thoughts on using FSLimiter to limit frames to 30fps, while leaving FSX unlimited?  

Good that people are getting rid of bufferpools. I never understood why these are still used with modern hardware since it actually SLOWS down the sim.

Getting rid of BufferPools by deleting from fsx cfg does not remove bufferPools from fsx. It will use default 4mb. That is why you set a usepools = in the fsx cfg, to set what suits your system. It is never removed as you stated.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Bufferpools works great for me. As for low frame rates, I have to admit, the 777 actually runs slightly better than the NGX. Not sure why. Pleasantly surprised. 

If you are having performance issues, it's probably your machines fault, not the 777.

Hello guys,

If you don't already have a [bufferPools] entry, type one manually on top of all your fsx.CFG entries, and right under it add PoolSize=0T

Do you have terrible flashing when water is not set to high 2x? It seems a little bit counter-intuitive to improve frames with pools=0 to then have to use a high water setting which then costs frames?

If you get flashing artifacts with bp=0 then use this instead will make the system more stable

Remember most people can use Bufferpools =0 but it does come at a price like having to place the water to at least x2 high its been proven that in most not all cases this can stop the flashing graphics.  Otherwise try that below

Put it at the top of the fsx.cfg

[bufferPools]
RejectThreshold=131072

If you get flashing artifacts with bp=0 then use this instead will make the system more stable

Remember most people can use Bufferpools =0 but it does come at a price like having to place the water to at least x2 high its been proven that in most not all cases this can stop the flashing graphics.  Otherwise try that below

Put it at the top of the fsx.cfg

[bufferPools]

RejectThreshold=131072

Yeh, it works well for me, but I have to have the water set to High2x which seems unneccessary (but it stops the flashes)

If I put the RejectThreshold in above BP=0 can I use a lower water setting? Will test it out! Thanks

I have pre render set to "1" in nvidia Insp, water @ Mid x2 no flashes

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.