Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

New IL-2 combat sim comming soon

Looks like for the regular price you have the fun of getting shot down in one of Williy's planes, or by paying almost double you are allowed a Focke-Wulf.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I still can't get Olegs BOB to run well.....

EDIT:

Dumb me, I see the ROF guys are using that engine. Very nice...

Dumb me, I see the ROF guys are using that engine. Very nice...

Actually it *is* the guys who made IL-2 Cliffs of Dover.

Here's what happened:

1C - the Russian publisher of the IL-2 series - after cancelling the next "official" IL-2 title called "Battle of Moscow" have teamed up with 777 Studios - publishers of Rise of Flight - to make the new "Battle of Stalingrad". It will be a WW2 sim based on the ROF engine focussing on the eponymous battle in WW2. It will use the existing ROF business model, i.e. free to play with a couple of aircraft, extra aircraft, mods, maps etc have to be purchased.

However,

Ilya Shevchenko - the lead developer of Cliffs of Dover - and a couple of his closest associates have left 1C and are now working with The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics in bringing us DCS:WW2. This will be a plugin module for DCS World and will focus on the European theatre in 1944.

So, two new WW2 sims being made.

Caveat - as I'm sure you are aware IL-2 Cliffs of Dover was a really big mess on release and a huge disappointment to the community. It's something of a black mark against Ilya in particular and his (mis)management of the development. Six years to develop a poorly optmised and buggy mess.

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover was patched after nearly two years to an acceptable state, and then dumped. A community modding group called the "Air Tactical Assault Group" has taken over dissecting the sim and making improvements. Their work has been quite extraordinary and they've made some serious improvemements so the sim is actually very good now - a real shame that its potential is now only really being realised after the developer/publishers dumped it!

If you've still got it IL-2 1946 has a huge modding community. If you install the likes of Dark Blue World and The Full Monty you'll find literally hundreds of flyable aircraft and maps, all of which are much improved over the original IL-2 releases. Likewise Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory, with a rather convoluted history starting out as a Rowan title, then going to our very own A2A Simulations, and finally to a community group called BDG is now a tremendously accurate and detailed sim of the Battle of Britain, well worth looking into (but not on Windows 8!)

Interesting times for WW2 sim fans.

I still can't get Olegs BOB to run well.....

Oleg actually left the Cliffs of Dover team way before the sim was released. Make of that what you will....

Hey Engine room, thanks for that updated info. I have been out of the IL-2 Loop since 1946 was released (and it is still my fav WWII sim).

This could be some exciting news for sure as really like ROF's engine.

Do yourself a favour....

i) Reinstall IL-2 1946.

ii) Download and install "Dark Blue World" info here:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16523.0.html

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21514.0.html   <- Here you'll find a one stop installer that will take you from the stock straight from the DVD 4.07m IL-2 1946 up to the current DBW 1.71

iii) Download and install "The Full Monty" supplemental mod over DBW:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,35424.0.html

Sit back and enjoy what will probably be the widest spanning and most content packed WW2 sim we'll ever see.

I'm sorry but the Cliffs of Dover experience leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth. I won't be buying until it's out, reviewed and revered.

They have a lot of confidence building to do to win back people, though I wish them luck in doing so.

Cliffs of Dover was a horrible mess on release, and it took them far too long to get it sorted. However, with the last patch from the developers and the work done by Team Fusion/ATAG it's actually become what it should have been on release and a lot closer to what was promised over all those years of development.

Both the the new WW2 sims are using already existing engines, so hopefully the existing framework the two teams are working within will mean that there's less scope for a repeat of Cliffs of Dover.

I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment with various expenses, but once things ease off next month I'll pre-order the new 1C/777 title and also give the same amount to Ilya's DCS:WW2 Kickstarter. I think it's worth supporting the genre.