Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjjallen

FSXAssist Controller Dropout Settings

10 posts in this topic

I think that there is some confusion as to how the FSXAssist controller dropout fix works.  The main thing is to UNCHECK the 'Close On Load' option.  This will ensure that FSXAssist can continue to poll the controller(s) that were active when FSX was started.  

You can test this yourself by testing how your controllers behave both with and without the 'Close On Load' option checked.  Without the option checked you should be able to unplug your joystick for any length of time and FSX should again recognize it when it is plugged back in.  Just keep in mind that if you do this you will need to reset your joystick in EZDOK and reset any addon controller software like Saitek Profile with your active profile as these functions are not currently supported by FSXAssist.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good news - we think that we have found another solution to the Controller dropout issue and it seems to be foolproof in initial tests.  We are planning to release this in FSXAssist build 1.08A so stay tuned.

As usual all registered FSXAssist users will qualify for a free update.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

I installed FSXAssist build 1.08a hoping to solve my control stick drop-out issue with Win8. However, FSXAssist is quitting immediately after it loads FSX + related apps despite the 'close on load' box being un-ticked.  A related forum post states that upon FSX loading the FSXAssist icon should remain present (active) in the task bar, but on my system it doesn't, nor is it present in the task manager after FSX loads. So my Saitek X52 controller continues to quit when focus goes to my 2nd computer (to run EFB, etc networked with FSX).

I've disabled all stick/button commands in FSX and un-ticked the controller box in FSX' options/controls -- these functions (axis, buttons, etc.) now are all programmed in FSUIPC -- which works fine until controller dropout occurs. Note: I'm also running Opus with its camera view controls; controller driver is the current Saitek/MadKatz version (but without Saitek profile software); DX10 (with Steve's 'shader 10' patch installed).

So apparently there's a continuing issue; correctable with build 1.09?

Hi Maury - we are addressing your support issue at support@skypilot.biz.

It appears that FSXAssist is closing due to an exception.  

Things to look at are your Windows Application error logs to determine which application is causing the error.

There may be a clash between FSUIPC and FSXAssist but this has not been reported before and is unlikely.

Things to try are:

1) Install / reinstall the .Net 3.5 and .Net 4.0  runtimes.

2) Confirm that the FSXAssist log exists and if so check it for any exceptions.

3) Try creating a fresh FSX.cfg (backup your old one first).  

4) After steps 1 and 2 reinstall FSXAssist and try again.

We will be looking at your FSXAssist.log and FSXAssist.exe.cfg files that you sent to support@skypilot.biz.

Jay

SkyPilot Support

Update: After trying various suggestions FSXAssist is now starting properly and remaining active throughout each flight -- and there's no log present so evidently no FSXAssist-related errors.

BUT, the X52 controller still drops out whenever I switch to EFB (running on a networked client computer) and then back to the FSX computer.

Hello Maury - Since there is no direct support for FSX clients you can try this.  Run FSXAssist, load FSX, switch to you EFB, then restart FSXAssist.  This will cause a re initialization of the controller connection.

Please let us know if this works so we can make the code changes to support your configuration.

Jay

SkyPilot Support

No joy -- switching focus to client computer to load the flight plan into EFB, or even just to click the aircraft tracking icon 'on' results in controller drop-out (though FSXAssist is still running). Restarting FSXAssist has no effect (controller remains disconnected).

On a hunch I just tried the same thing but with a different aircraft -- this time the Lionheart Quest Kodiak -- the controller is now working fine despite repeated client/server switching -- and without restarting FSXAssist. So it may have something to do with controller dropouts while flying a more complex add-on aircraft (Flight1's new King Air B200).

I'll make further tests tomorrow including PMDG's B737NGX.

Another update: Repeated FSXAssist testing with the PMDG 737NGX produced no controller dropouts, even with flights of two or more hours duration  :P .

OTOH, At first I was unable to get either ProATC/X or AivlaSoft's EFB (both installed on the client machine) to connect dynamically with FSX while running with FSXAssist active, where they had done so successfully previously. By accident I happened to load FSX without FSXAssist and not only did both applications run correctly, but there were no controller drop-outs either !! Perhaps something had been "preconditioned" in FSX or Windows 8 because FSXAssist had been run beforehand?  I'll continue to pursue this with additional tests. Anyway, the results so far have been most encouraging..