Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

1440p is amazing!

Sup guys just want to share with you that Im blown away with FSX at 1440p. Little AA needed, pic quality is incredible. Only downside is that my GPU really suffers with the clouding. Overcast from MEX to LAX with 2048 rex clouds enb and the airbus extended I get 15fps while flying through the clouds.

Anyway looks like I will have to end up upgrading my card.

If you are interested Look for qnix monitors in ebay. 27'' They are in the 280s compared to dells and asus which you can find at best buy for 600 and up. Really a great deal and they arrive a whooping 2 day shipping from korea.

Peace

I find the problem with ultra wide monitors, good thought they are for general tasks, is that in FSX they stretch the view admirably for a wide angle vista of your scenery, but they are not very useful for another very important function: that of being able to see the lower portions of a given panel. We tend to think that eyes take in peripheral scenes only left and right, but in fact they are quite good at peripheral vision up and down as well.

If I had a choice of one or two new monitors, I would hunt for a 4:3 ratio rather than the ever increasing wider and wider aspect ratios. Otherwise you end up with effectively a narrow strip rather like a camera app's so-called panoramic view. The best monitor setup I have ever seen is Bob Sidwick's (RC simulations) PORTRAIT mode panels which are build in an array of I think around 4 or 5 separate pieces, all joined together rather like a modesty screen. You can "fan" them out so they present an almost flat aspect, or you can fold them so they present a more curved view. With them you end up having a very wide scene but also have the benefit or seeing the lower parts of the panel for switches etc without having to pan down, or up. They are rather expensive though.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

exactly why I have a 16:10 format 30 inch monitor at 2560x1600

I refuse to go 16:9 - not enough height

exactly why I have a 16:10 format 30 inch monitor at 2560x1600

I refuse to go 16:9 - not enough height

I dont see how 16:10 would me much different that 16:9.

What I know for sure I rather keep the extra $500 with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I find the problem with ultra wide monitors, good thought they are for general tasks, is that in FSX they stretch the view admirably for a wide angle vista of your scenery, but they are not very useful for another very important function: that of being able to see the lower portions of a given panel. We tend to think that eyes take in peripheral scenes only left and right, but in fact they are quite good at peripheral vision up and down as well.

If I had a choice of one or two new monitors, I would hunt for a 4:3 ratio rather than the ever increasing wider and wider aspect ratios. Otherwise you end up with effectively a narrow strip rather like a camera app's so-called panoramic view. The best monitor setup I have ever seen is Bob Sidwick's (RC simulations) PORTRAIT mode panels which are build in an array of I think around 4 or 5 separate pieces, all joined together rather like a modesty screen. You can "fan" them out so they present an almost flat aspect, or you can fold them so they present a more curved view. With them you end up having a very wide scene but also have the benefit or seeing the lower parts of the panel for switches etc without having to pan down, or up. They are rather expensive though.

It isn't an "Ultra wide", its a normal aspect ratio monitor of very fine PPI much like this one, though much cheaper and with probably a few unoticed dead pixels.

Congrats on your monitor Oscar.

Cheers!

I've got FSX running on a 1440p monitor and it is incredible. Makes using the VC so much easier. 

Qnix & Xstar 1440P monitors are the ones to look for on ebay at the moment.

Their internals are identical just with different branding. I picked up one of the Xstar models and can confirm they are amazing for their price!

1440P in general is great, not just for FSX.

I dont see how 16:10 would me much different that 16:9.

What I know for sure I rather keep the extra $500 with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

having compared both aspect ratios and considering the fact that all pc widescreen monitors were originally 16:10 format, I can assure you that the extra height of 16:10 is very noticeable.

movie studios and LCD panel makers have a lot to answer for in this craze for 16:9 format screens.

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2012/10/22/16-10-vs-16-9-the-monitor-aspect-ratio/

Qnix & Xstar 1440P monitors are the ones to look for on ebay at the moment.

Their internals are identical just with different branding. I picked up one of the Xstar models and can confirm they are amazing for their price!

If I can add my opinion. I bought the 'First FSM 270YG' from Korea about a year ago. I can tell you a few things bothered me. The power brick is HUGE, the base can't be removed, the buttons are all in Korean, there was no manual, I can only control brightness to a very small degree, there is no dialog/menu on screen, there is a buzzing sound from the monitor when viewing a certain amount of text on the screen. On the plus side, the panel is absolutely gorgeous! I opened mine up and it had a serial on it that indicates its from LG. Also, there is no EDID built into the monitor, so Linux cannot output a native resolution without mucking around with your Xorg.conf file. Not fun.

Overall, it is cheap, only $320 for an amazing looking panel, but I think it might be worth it to shell out some extra cash for the Dell 27" 1440p screens.  ^_^

If I can add my opinion. I bought the 'First FSM 270YG' from Korea about a year ago. I can tell you a few things bothered me. The power brick is HUGE, the base can't be removed, the buttons are all in Korean, there was no manual, I can only control brightness to a very small degree, there is no dialog/menu on screen, there is a buzzing sound from the monitor when viewing a certain amount of text on the screen. On the plus side, the panel is absolutely gorgeous! I opened mine up and it had a serial on it that indicates its from LG. Also, there is no EDID built into the monitor, so Linux cannot output a native resolution without mucking around with your Xorg.conf file. Not fun.

Overall, it is cheap, only $320 for an amazing looking panel, but I think it might be worth it to shell out some extra cash for the Dell 27" 1440p screens.  ^_^

For what it's worth the Qnix & Xstar monitors don't seem to have these problems. There is a long thread over at overclock.net

There is no onscreen menu, but to be honest I don't really miss it. Sure there are risks with ordering a monitor from Korea, but from my experience it was definitely worth it for the price!

These ones have a Samsung PLS panel.

As it happens, I just picked up a QNIX 2710 monitor from Amazon. The specs drew me in, but the price sealed the deal (less than $300 US). Yes, the controls are minimal, and yes the manual is in Korean only. But gents, the monitor is astounding. No dead pixels that I've been able to discern, and when properly calibrated the color is gorgeous. I use it for development, but I definitely need to try FSX on it soon. This may be apropos of nothing, but I saw someone mention QNIX and had to share.

It isn't an "Ultra wide", its a normal aspect ratio monitor of very fine PPI much like this one, though much cheaper and with probably a few unoticed dead pixels.

Congrats on your monitor Oscar.

Cheers!

Ah I see. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page