Sign in to follow this  
DOGANG KIM

Hard to control Minimum and BARO knob.

So your a 777 expert? The knob doesn't allow you turn it, it's a three position switch. As I mentioned in the other post, please read the Introduction. :-)

The knob itself may not turn in the real world, but there are compromises we must make in flight simulator.  Just as PMDG has done with the landing lights and if you mouse wheel click the lights it moves them all at once - it is a compromise.

Click, hold and move the mouse is just very unintuitive in the simulator.  Not only that but the fact that you have to left or right click, hold and drag to move it up or down.  Heck, it would've been more "accurate" to hold the left or right mouse button and rotate the mouse wheel to move the setting.

For example take a pencil and sign yourself at peace of paper, then open paint and sign yourself using mouse. Compare.

Poor comparison, but nice try.

Pen and paper is infinitely variable - it has multiple dimensions.

Hardware with two detents - slow and fast - limits your dimensions laterally.

Clicking and clicking and dragging (simulating the two detents) limits you to the same lateral dimensions.  Granted, you lose tactile feel without detents, but there's a more direct comparison between those two than your signature example.

You're welcome to continue attempting to justify the resistance to change, but it's changed.  Adapt, work around, or fall behind.

Click, hold and move the mouse is just very unintuitive in the simulator.  Not only that but the fact that you have to left or right click, hold and drag to move it up or down.  Heck, it would've been more "accurate" to hold the left or right mouse button and rotate the mouse wheel to move the setting.

I fail to see how that would be more accurate...see above.

The odd part about the brain is that it will go to great lengths to justify resistance to change, even when that justification actually outweighs the amount of work required in adapting.

See: Lost Remote Control

Kyle Rodgers

You're welcome to continue attempting to justify the resistance to change, but it's changed.  Adapt, work around, or fall behind.

I'm going to use B and/or CDU EFIS control. no way to use that unergonomic interface.   B)

We ask for realism, get realism from PMDG,  then we moan because it does not suit our mouse clicks? Ironic!

We ask for realism, get realism from PMDG,  then we moan because it does not suit our mouse clicks? Ironic!

If you enjoy realism why you use hardware joystick/yoke to fly when there is virtual yoke. Just grab it with your mouse and fly in that way. Same for throttle.

I'm going to use B and/or CDU EFIS control. no way to use that unergonomic interface.   B)

Option B - workaround.  Fair enough!

haha - yep.

If you enjoy realism why you use hardware joystick/yoke to fly when there is virtual yoke. Just grab it with your mouse and fly in that way. Same for throttle.

Your comparisons are getting weaker and weaker...

Kyle Rodgers

Option B - workaround.  Fair enough!

haha - yep.

Your comparisons are getting weaker and weaker...

I admit, the first comparison is much better.

Anyway, for most of us (who do not own complete hardware cockpit) interface with simulator is not realistic at all, I mean, we use mouse to interact with cockpit - ridiculous. In such extreme unrealistic interface, they are trying to enforce us using mouse in the most unintuitive way I can imagine. The only reason I do not want to buy X Plane is lack of ability to use scroll at knobs/switches. Thankfully, in T7 there are just 2 "faulty" switches and I can live with that.

Personally I'd prefer the option to have both scroll option and the click and hold option. I keep over shooting, then undershooting, then overshooting, then undershooting etc. etc. Much easier in the NGX, but maybe I'm just stuck in my ways...  :P

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Except the interface with this switch is still not "true to life"; and in fact, without real hardware, it can't be in the simulator.  This is a "best we could think to model this oddly engaged round-dial knob and still not make it a traditional round-dial knob" situation.  The only problem with creating an "oddly engaged round-dial knob" in this fashion inside the simulator is that it makes it very unintuitive; and if you go past your desired setting and have to go back the other way - God help you.

And now just imagine that PMDG makes an airplane for X-Plane and all switches work like this :lol:

If you have SYNC CAPT AND STANDBY BARO in the configuration enabled (by default), you can use the standby ISFD to set the pressure on all altimeters using the mouse scroll, as usual. 

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

And now just imagine that PMDG makes an airplane for X-Plane and all switches work like this :lol:

If you have SYNC CAPT AND STANDBY BARO in the configuration enabled (by default), you can use the standby ISFD to set the pressure on all altimeters using the mouse scroll, as usual. 

One more solution :smile: Good thinking indeed!

As I said the only thing preventing me to buy XP is that one cannot rotate knobs with scroll.

Personally I'd prefer the option to have both scroll option and the click and hold option. I keep over shooting, then undershooting, then overshooting, then undershooting etc. etc. Much easier in the NGX, but maybe I'm just stuck in my ways...  :P

Regards,

Ró.

In the real NG it's actually very easy to overshoot and undershoot as well. It takes some practice to nail the correct value with minimum of effort. The 'slow' position is very slow as well in the real thing. PMDG have modeled it very well. Just takes a while to get used to it.

Adam Turley

I had to spend some time to get used to it but after that it's not that difficult. If the only thing people are complaining about this plane is that they don't know how to use these two knobs then I guess PMDG did a pretty good job!  :lol:

If you REALLY don't want use the wheel (I agree, mouse wheel capability would be nice though), you can always use the CDU to type it in with the backup EFIS controller mode ;)

Would you please elaborate on how it is one might do this? I looked in the FCOM and can't find how to do this.