Sign in to follow this  
Wolf20

Autoland flare

Hi all

I get the very same behavior under the following conditions:

- landing config initialized in fmc, flaps out at 25

- mcp speed set at vref+5

- no wind in fsx or from other add-ons

- weight at landing: full pax, some cargo, fuel slightly in excess of the reserve limit

On landing, the plane touches while flaring, then slightly bounces then touches down again. I see smoke at wheel contact with the runway both times. As this is a saved flight the behavior can be repeated. Will give a try setting mcp speed at vref instead of vref+5 to see if something changes

Regards,

Aldo

Hi try this with flaps 30 and with flaps 20 and see if there's a difference, autoland with flaps 25 are not approved by Boeing.

Autoland > Flaps Full (30),  Speed set to ~Vref+5 on MCP.  No bounce and VS less than 100 fpm nearly ever time.  Tricky part for me was

figuring out exactly how to "set up" / conduct an Autoland but I think I've got it now.  Seems there's a need to begin setting up farther

out than I've been accustomed (ie. MD11, NGX),  and must be below GS and established on the LOC before GS intercept (I haven't

tried the option that allows for GS descent prior to LOC) and in landing config prior to 1500'.  Need more practice with this before there's

a level of comfort ~:)  Also need more practice with "hands on" controls.

Best to all,

Ken

Ken Boardman

Tried with flaps 30 as kindly recommended by Bryan: no visible bounce now, yet just before touching down the airplane seems to start flying level off for awhile and then touches the runway in a stable way.

Much better than before, however.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion

Regards,

Aldo

Okay, ok... so: If i wanna do an autoland i have to use flaps 30 and if i wanna land manual, Flaps 25 is recommended? 

Hi all

I get the very same behavior under the following conditions:

- landing config initialized in fmc, flaps out at 25

- mcp speed set at vref+5

- no wind in fsx or from other add-ons

- weight at landing: full pax, some cargo, fuel slightly in excess of the reserve limit

On landing, the plane touches while flaring, then slightly bounces then touches down again. I see smoke at wheel contact with the runway both times. As this is a saved flight the behavior can be repeated. Will give a try setting mcp speed at vref instead of vref+5 to see if something changes

Regards,

Aldo

Did you perhaps forget to arm the spoilers?  That might increase the likelyhood of bouncing

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Flap 20 or 30 for Autoland. Any other flap config is not authorized.

weight at landing: full pax, some cargo, fuel slightly in excess of the reserve limit

That is not weight... what was the actual aircraft GW? 400,000 lbs? 600,000 lbs?

If you can give the load distribution as well, we can see if it is related to CoG (this affects autopilot/aircraft behavior). On touchdown the spoilers deploy, resulting in a pitch up. This could be the cause of the "bouncing" (it is in fact, the aircraft lifting off again).

Best regards,

Robin.

The actual weight was 500,800 lbs, see the FMC screenshot

In this test flight I noticed the small pitch up attitude again. Not a big problem however, now it's not bouncing !

Regards,

Aldo

Why auto-land ? it's so much funny to land this lovely bird by his hand :)

In this case just put noise up between 2° and 2,5° at 20ft above the runway.Best landing i ever do, i can't do better i think:

1v7o.png