Sign in to follow this  
adi518

What kind of performance boost should I expect from OC'ing my 2500k?

At some airports I get great performance and on some.. like flytampa tampa I get really awful performance. No tweak or display settings adjust makes a different (very slight, but still bad).

I'm currently using a 2500k and a temporary Intel DH77 ITX board that has no capabilities of oc'ing (it can only do the default turbo boost to 3.7). However, soon my new water cooled rig will be ready and the cpu will be moved to an msi z77 mpower (beast overclocker). So, it's funny, but I haven't found much threads about the kind of boost OC can possibly yield. I'm also wondering if fsx utilizes turbo-boost? If not, I'm guessing my cpu is currently doing at best 3.2 ghz (stock clock). I'd guess it also means, overclocking just the turbo-boost wouldn't suffice, correct?

Is there anyone here who overlocked his rig and has fsx running 'smooth' in all scenarios? ok, except extreme cases like dr. ny city x, etc'.

Thanks!

Makes a huge difference. I went from 2500k like you to 4.4ghz and the immediate change apart from a big FPS boost was no more random CTD any more especially when clicking the menu

ZORAN

In big airports too? Those are the biggest fps hoggers... although dubai is running great but that's probably because there isn't that much autogen around it, where tampa for example is much more populated.

Yes that's where the boost is most noticeable. ORBX YBBN in the PMDG used to 12 but now dances around 18-20

ZORAN

I read that fps displayed by fsx is not exactly the fps term we are used to.. it's more of a "cycle rate" thing, ie, it doesn't calculate just the graphics frames but the simulator performance as a whole.

Anyway, the proper question is whether it feels smooth or stuttery with the boost?

If not, then I don't get it... I've seen many 'xtreme fsx' videos on the tube from jerdo and others and they seem to have great performance with fsx fully loaded on YBBN (for instance) because not only they get smooth game play, they can also record and have it stay smooth. If they had low fps, it'd clearly show in the videos.

Don't waste time checking the framerate figure that is displayed. People worry too much about that. What is important is how smooth the simulator is running.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sorry about that, Adi. I thought that the above post was from someone else advising you what to do!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You think it can run smooth at less than 10fps? Im not so sure. Maybe above 15?

Kacper Nowotynski

It will make a difference but don't get too excited. Night and day it will not be, improved yes. How much improved depends on the scene situation.

I'll only be happy when there is a 9GHz cpu out and 30fps is the norm in all situations.

Sorry for bumping. So, when I overclock with fsx in mind, do I have to raise the main clock or just the turbo boost will suffice?

I'm using a 2 year old i5 2500K chugging along nicely at 4.8ghz :)

I have no problems running REX clouds (2048), heavy sceneries and PMDG 777x.
Although I use a GTX 780 graphics card which might get me a few extra FPS here and there.

But to sum it up: You will notice a difference, especially when cranking up AI, flying in and out of complex sceneries with  an advanced aircraft

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |