Sign in to follow this  
froggy

EICAS Landing Altitude Warning

How do I disable the above warning? Bear in mind I haven't had a chance to even look at the manuals (A big ********** you to 60+ hr weeks), much less fly it apart from 5 minute f4 aerobatic jobs.

Plz don't kill me pwettyplz :lol:

Cheers

Will go away when you enter a departure airport into the FMC

Aaand it worked

Thankyou Michael, much appreciated

All advisories are not all warnings :wink:

TCAS OFF also displays on the ND until you turn the TCAS on.  It's not something you need to "fix" per se.  It's something you address as it comes, just as in the case of the altitude advisory.

Kyle Rodgers

NOTE: This is not an effort to admonish someone about reading the manual.

It's questions like this that made me really appreciate the manuals that came with the 777. I was on a flight where I needed to dump some fuel to meet landing weight requirements. A trip to the manual, then the checklists and I was able to correctly dump the fuel down to the weight I needed.

A true testament to the detail of the manual and the simulation.

THANKS PMDG! Thanks also to the beta testers who might have actually tested that procedure.

I didn't understand what you meant by WILL GO AWAY WHEN ENTERING DEPARTURE AIRPORT?? Please explain  I m sick of that warning.. Please help!!!

And my name is Talha, sorry i didn't mention it.

I'm flying from OPKC to OMDB

I didn't understand what you meant by WILL GO AWAY WHEN ENTERING DEPARTURE AIRPORT?? Please explain  I m sick of that warning.. Please help!!!

The message is showing up because the aircraft doesn't know the elevation of the airfields you'll be using. As soon as you enter the route on the RTE page, the FMC will look up the airports in its database to determine the elevations. This is used in determining the pressurization schedule for the descent.

While this is a very simple version, the reason is that you want to de-pressurize the plane at about the same elevation as the destination airport. The system can't do that unless it knows what that altitude is. If you haven't entered this information in the FMC (as mentioned, on the RTE page), then the EICAS will tell you to tell it what elevation the field is. You can do this either by simply filling out the RTE page, as is normal for a flight; or by following the non-normal checklist to select the altitude on the pressurization panel manually (you can display the non-normal checklist by clicking the CHK button on the display control panel over near the first officer's seat, above his/her navigation display).

As mentioned by Steve, this aircraft gets installed with several manuals from Boeing, and a tutorial from us. It would definitely be worth flying at least the tutorial to get a feel for how to fly this plane. It isn't a casual simulation. What is asked of real crews (for normal operation) is asked of you. It's going to take some effort to learn how to get things to work properly.

To find the tutorial: Start > All Programs > PMDG Simulations > 777 > Tutorial #1.

EDIT: While I do appreciate you responding to someone's earlier request to use your name, the rule is full names in the forum. Thanks!

Kyle Rodgers

The simple answer is that it won't go away when you enter the departure airport, that answer was wrong. It needs arrival information. Until you tell the FMC what runway you are landing on it doesn't know what the landing elevation will be.

As Kyle pointed out earlier in the thread, it's not a warning. Warnings are shown in red. It's not even a caution. It's an advisory message.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Until you tell the FMC what runway you are landing on it doesn't know what the landing elevation will be.
I think the message disappears when the destination airport is entered into the FMC. I think you don't need a runway entered into the FMC. The FMC is looking for the airport elevation not the runway elevation.

Agree, it's not unusual to not select an arrival runway until descent/arrival planning.  It's interesting to note that the simulation's data source in this context for airport elevation is wpNavAPT.txt and not airports.dat; it's interesting because the latter only lists lat/lon for the airport and the former only lists elevations for airport runways. Just a piece of trivial information.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think the message disappears when the destination airport is entered into the FMC. I think you don't need a runway entered into the FMC. The FMC is looking for the airport elevation not the runway elevation.

I knew it wasn't just the destination entry because I've seen the LANDING ALTITUDE advisory in flight having entered departure and destination on short test flights. The FCOM isn't clear, it just talks about the FMC being able to provide the information. So I just tried it out. I assumed it was the runway it wanted, for accurate elevation data, but that isn't right either. You need to enter a route between departure and destination. When you activate the route the advisory disappears.

So I guess we were both wrong.

ki9cAAb.jpg

You need to enter a route between departure and destination. When you activate the route the advisory disappears.

That makes total sense, I think a route needs at least one waypoint although I couldn't find that in the FCOM today and the activation means "use this information."  In other words, it will not allow activation without ORIG RTE and DEST and activation is required to make use of it.

I've never tried an ORIG direct DEST wihout SID, STAR or enroute fix.... I know it drove the MD-11 to do strange things.  I don't think the Boeings will even allow it.

Dan Downs KCRP