Sign in to follow this  
Nigge

Support for "download winds" to PMDGs 777

You have misunderstood what I have said, we do not want people to change the standard settings, if they do then that causes the problem.

If you are using non English GB language and culture settings then OpusFSX will automatically use the English culture just to decode the GRIB data. This has no affect on the culture used by your operating system or any other applications.

Cheryl

Hmmm, I see what you meant now. This is my third flight and it didn't work, I mean, the .WX file was created successfully and everything, but checking the winds within 777 there's nothing. Opening  the .WX file I see lots of zeros, so I think the population for 777 was fine and the problem lies in the .WX file, as to why it didn't get the proper values?

I must tell that my numbering format within Windows is different from the english default, even though I configure it as British English. The number format is like #.###,##. Anyway, thinking of it, I reverted it back to the english default, exchanging , with . and vice-versa. It didn't work either.

I plan to buy PFPX, and I know that it can also export .WX files to 777, automatically as the flightplan is created/exported, so considering using this feature, how can I disable the .WX file creation within OpusFSX?

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

There is no need to change your system's culture settings since the software will automatically use the GB English settings independently of your system settings. Just make sure you do not edit and change the default GB English culture settings.

Trouble shooting ... 

Make sure the GRIB data has been downloaded and decoded, if not check your \OpusFSX\FSDECODER.log file. 

If your wx data is all OK in the file OpusPMDGData.txt in the OpusFSX\Themes folder then it's a simple case of not being able to copy this file into your <FSX>\PMDG\WX folder. Perhaps it's a sharing and permissions issue, check these in accordance with the Getting Started Guide.

OpusFSX uses the English (GB) culture for the decoding format, do not change any settings in this culture especially the decimal separator type.

PMDG FMC Wind/Temp Data Request procedure ...

You must have a PMDG aircraft selected. Enable GRIB data; if you have Adjust Options Automatically enabled then make sure your cruise altitude is above 6000 feet.

You must enter or Import your flight plan into Opus, then the FP must be activated either via the OpusFSX Process option in the Flight Plan dialog or via the FSX options. Specify your Destination and Cruise Altitude, then Update the weather. 

Only after this will Opus be able to generate the file. There is no need to cut and paste anything. In the airplane on the LEGS page select WIND DATA, press WIND DATA REQUEST and the data will automatically load the values into the FMC, press EXECUTE to finish. Note that it is best if your cruise altitude is already entered on the PERF INIT page before you do this as it helps the PMDG algorithm narrow down the correct altitudes to use.  

If you are using PFPX to generate your flight plan then it must be exported in two formats, as Peter has explained above, one for the PMDG to its dedicated folder, and one in FSX .pln format to your docs/<SIM>/ folder so Opus can read it. 

Cheryl

You simply do not have any GRIB upper forecast data in use. Please read and follow the Recommended Practices, make sure you set all defaults in the weather dialogs at least once, and before each flight make sure you specify your Destination and Max Cruise Altitude. You need a Max Cruise Altitude of at least 6000 feet to get GRIB data. If you are following Recommended Practices then you would know for certain that you have GRIB forecast data in use because you would have checked the on screen Lower and Upper Atmosphere report. Of course you must input and process a flight plan so that Opus can generate the flight plan reports including the WX file.

There should be no problems as many thousands are using these procedures.

Stephen :-)

If you are not getting GRIB data (check the on screen Lower and Upper reports) then open the Spy window before updating the weather and check your FSDECODER.log file in your OpusFSX folder. I assume you have installed the latest release version.

Stephen :-)

Checking FSDECODER.log, it shows 0 Lines Decoded everywhere. Is it fine to mess US English settings? I was using UK English all messed up, because I like it to show english language days, but I need it to use "." as grouping and "," as decimal.

I have just reset all the UK English settings, and set US English as the new one, but making these changes stated above, among others, like the currency of my country, hour preferences, date preferences, etc.

Next I'm gonna test to see if it works.

Regarding PFPX, the .WX file generated by it doesn't conflict with the .WX file generated by OpusFSX?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Please do NOT mess up the English GB setting, the software needs this culture in order to decode numbers !

Can you please show me the contents of your FSDECODER.log file. If all works your FSDECODER.log should show something like this,

OpusFSX GRIB Data Decoder, Version 3.43

Log Generated 20 March 2014, 08:38 Hrs

Decoding GRIB Forecast Data in Path C:\OpusFSX\GRIB

No Errors Detected.

I have no idea about PFPX WX files, I don't use the package.

Stephen

You can select the US English settings for your PC and edit these as you wish but don't alter the default GB English settings since the decimal separator must be "." and not "," otherwise the GRIB decoder will not work.

Cheryl

I've done as per your instructions. I reset the GB/UK English, I now selected US English (and "messed" with it as per my preferences) and it seemed to work, as the FSDECODER.log now shows no errors detected. Notwithstanding the .WX was not created again, but I need to test it again with a new fresh load of FSX and OpusFSX, I'll do that later today, probably.

Thank you for your assistance!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

To generate a PMDG WX report you must ...

Be performing a full weather update.

Have GRIB forecast data in use (check Opus Lower and Upper reports).

Have a PMDG aircraft selected within the simulator.

Have a \PMDG\WX sub-folder in the simulators folder.

Have processed an Opus flight plan (check the Weather dialog).

Have a specified and recognised Destination.

If these conditions are met then the OpusPMDGData.txt file is created and copied into the simulators PMDG\WX folder with and appropriate name.

There are many thousands of people currently using this feature so please check you have performed the above steps. The current GRIB forecast data is also recorded in the OpusWeatherReport.txt file and your flight plan weather in the OpusFlightReport.txt file.

Stephen

Stephen,

Considering I've already exported .WX file to FSX via PFPX or any other software, when I process the flightplan within OpusFSX that .WX file will be overwritten?

Thank you!

PE

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Yes, OpusFSX generates a WX file based on the 'actual' winds that are 'going' to be injected into the sim. PFPX does not inject weather so its really pointless using the PFPX WX file. The WX file is only useful if the winds match what will be actually injected into the sim and experienced during the flight. That's why you should prepare your flight plan using PFPX (if you wish), then load and process the resulting flight plan into Opus which will then prepare the reports, including the WX file.

Stephen

I got it, thanks again.

One more question: I noticed that when I imported into 777 the .WX file generated by PFPX (in lieu of the one genenated by OpusFSX) the winds throughout all fixes seemed more real, more random I should say. When I use the .WX file generated by OpusFSX the winds speed/directions are all the same for all fixes. Now, I would like to know if it's part of a smoothness strategy or what, and if there's a setting within OpusFSX that I could use to change this behavior.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

I'm not entirely sure, but I unchecked some of the options and now it seems to input random values. I'm going to verify this more closely on the next flight.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Several flights later, I noticed that when I disable those "stabilization" options (for winds, not clouds) it will give me diversified values, but later on, without changing anything, for the following flight it will give me fixed values again, just the very same values for all waypoints.

I also noticed that the help screens within the application seem to be outdated, as I see options through the app screens that are not commented on the help screens, is that it?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Please upgrade to the latest release version 3.46.0 and then check your configuration and set all defaults, turn OFF the Stabilised GRIB Data option. Restart the FSXSERVER program and make sure this change is registered.

Stephen