Sign in to follow this  
tnsasse

Mute VOR Ident Tone

Hi Guys,

can anyone give me a hand on muting the VOR ident tone on the PMDG 737NGX? I tried the knobs on the Comm Panel, as depicted. Didn't help - it just keeps on beeping and annoys the heck out of me...

2qbdrnn.png

Maybe I do have the wrong approach here. Just for the reference: I fly using the Prepar3D Version 1.4 and the PMDG 737NGX 800 (SP1c).

Thanks,

Tobi

Just for the reference: I fly using the Prepar3D Version 1.4 and the PMDG 737NGX 800 (SP1c).

Just so you know, Prepar3D is not a supported simulator for the product.  It's a violation of the PMDG 737NGX EULA to use it in this way.

...but you can turn off the sound by clicking the appropriate button on the lower radio panel (in your case, probably the NAV1 button).  See how they're all lit up?  They really shouldn't be.  You only activate (light up) the ones you want to hear...

Kyle Rodgers

Just so you know, Prepar3D is not a supported simulator for the product.  It's a violation of the PMDG 737NGX EULA to use it in this way.

...but you can turn off the sound by clicking the appropriate button on the lower radio panel (in your case, probably the NAV1 button).  See how they're all lit up?  They really shouldn't be.  You only activate (light up) the ones you want to hear...

I know, thanks for your advide, but it keeps beeping even if I de-light the buttons. I was flying the last couple of months with the FSX and had exactly the same problem - concerning your P3D remark.

I was flying the last couple of months with the FSX and had exactly the same problem

I'd honestly suggest turning all of them off, and then turning only VHF1 on.  I'm really not sure why you have them all on.  To be honest, it's probably one of the 13 others...

All you need is VHF1, and then you turn the others on only when you need to ID a station.  That should fix the issue.

- concerning your P3D remark.

...I wasn't saying it to say it was a problem with P3D.  I was saying that it's a use not in compliance with the EULA.  As such, your support in that venture will be limited - primarily with respects to getting official support.

Kyle Rodgers

I'd honestly suggest turning all of them off, and then turning only VHF1 on. I'm really not sure why you have them all on. To be honest, it's probably one of the 13 others...

Ok you got me wrong: Normally I do fly with all of them off but VHF1. I tried to turn off the beep by (a) turning them all on - stupid idea okay and (b) all of them off. Same for the F/O's side. It beeps no matter how the switches are set... :-/

With respect to P3D and stuff - sure, I'm a software developer myself, wouldn't be happy about that either but I also wouldn't suspect the problem to be the sim as I had the same problem with FSX which in turn is supported...

I tried to turn off the beep by (a) turning them all on - stupid idea okay

eh...not so stupid.  Heck, it's a toggle and a volume scale, so even in the real plane, I'd probably mash it a couple times to try and get it to reset.

What about changing the frequency?  I'd try and narrow it down by moving frequencies around to find which radio is picking up the morse.

With respect to P3D and stuff - sure, I'm a software developer myself, wouldn't be happy about that either but I also wouldn't suspect the problem to be the sim as I had the same problem with FSX which in turn is supported...

Again, I'm not attempting to say it's being caused by one or the other.  I'm simply saying you're in violation of the EULA.  Plain and simple.

Kyle Rodgers

Heck, it's a toggle and a volume scale, so even in the real plane, I'd probably mash it a couple times to try and get it to reset.

What about changing the frequency? I'd try and narrow it down by moving frequencies around to find which radio is picking up the morse.

Ok, I will try to mash them a couple of times on my next flight. I am currently not sure if dialing the volume is simulated on the PMDG, but that could also be a solution to turn it down to zero, if possible.

So the IDENT tone both appears when I dial in ILS frequencies or VOR frequencies to the NAV radio, which is of course correct - at least if you want to make sure that you have the right station dialed in ;-) It does not matter which radio (NAV1/NAV2) I use.

Edit: I am not so sure about that because I nearly always have ILS or VOR dialed in on NAV1... I'd never dial in NAV2 alone. Gonna check that.

Normally on approach I would have ILS on NAV1 and an approach VOR on NAV2. I only get rid of the tone when I set both radios to none-tone-submitting frequencies/stations, if that makes sense - of course that would only allow me to approach visual then ;-)

Ok, I will try to mash them a couple of times on my next flight. I am currently not sure if dialing the volume is simulated on the PMDG, but that could also be a solution to turn it down to zero, if possible.

Click to toggle on/off and mouse wheel to dial the volume, if I remember correctly.

For what it's worth, the mashing on and off would be something I'd try in the real plane on the assumption the internals got stuck or something...

The sim doesn't really simulate that kind of wear.

I only get rid of the tone when I set both radios to none-tone-submitting frequencies/stations, if that makes sense - of course that would only allow me to approach visual then ;-)

Perhaps there's an FSX setting (or another program) interfering here...

Kyle Rodgers

Remember FSX has special keys set up to activate ID in VOR/NDB that can be accidentally activated in the NGX.  IIRC, 

CTL-1 activates Nav 1 ID

CTL-2 activates Nav 1 DME ID

CTL-3 activates Nav2 ID

CTL-4 activates Nav2 DME ID and I think CTL-5 and CTL-6 activate the NDB ID's.

I had the same issue as the OP and spent several minutes madly working the COM buttons thinking that any FSX settings were over-ridden by the NGX but not so.  I finally figured out that I had inadvertently hit CTL-1 instead of CTL-Q when I was adjusting my view and that was triggering the ID sounds for NAV 1.  A second press of CTL-1 de-activated it and solved the mystery.  

• Upvote 1

Also keep in mind that NGX has 3 radio panels. Two on the pedestal and one on the upper overhead. Make sure your NAV radio monitor buttons are not pressed on either one of them.

Remember FSX has special keys set up to activate ID in VOR/NDB that can be accidentally activated in the NGX.

That might be the trick!! I have Ctl+1, ..., Ctl+9 set for Ezdok Camera Views. Might need to reassign them or have a look at the controls panel to access their original function. Going to investigate that tomorrow morning. Thanks for the hint!

Also keep in mind that NGX has 3 radio panels.

Right, but also there each of the knobs is muted, thus there shouldn't be any tone on the speakers... Thanks anyway for pointing that out, it's easy to forget that there is another one on the upper panel.

On 9/6/2013 at 2:09 PM, HiFly said:

Remember FSX has special keys set up to activate ID in VOR/NDB that can be accidentally activated in the NGX.  IIRC, 

CTL-1 activates Nav 1 ID

CTL-2 activates Nav 1 DME ID

CTL-3 activates Nav2 ID

CTL-4 activates Nav2 DME ID and I think CTL-5 and CTL-6 activate the NDB ID's.

I had the same issue as the OP and spent several minutes madly working the COM buttons thinking that any FSX settings were over-ridden by the NGX but not so.  I finally figured out that I had inadvertently hit CTL-1 instead of CTL-Q when I was adjusting my view and that was triggering the ID sounds for NAV 1.  A second press of CTL-1 de-activated it and solved the mystery.  

Wow this solved it for me as well... thank you! was driving my batty!

3 hours ago, Airbrnetravel said:

Wow this solved it for me as well... thank you! was driving my batty! 

I have noticed for a long time ago, even if Ctrl+4 is removed from the buttons assigments in P3D, this combination still turning on DME IDENT. I think this is a bug from FSX which has moved to Prepar3D. I now never assign Ctrl+4 for Ezdok2 cameras. 🙂

Edited by Nickbe

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

47 minutes ago, Nickbe said:

I have noticed for a long time ago, even if Ctrl+4 is removed from the buttons assigments in P3D, this combination still turning on DME IDENT. I think this is a bug from FSX which has moved to Prepar3D. I now never assign Ctrl+4 for Ezdok2 cameras. 🙂

Not so here. I can hit Ctr-4 as much as I want, no DME Ident is being heard. Most probably something else is causing this for you Nickbe.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

28 minutes ago, hvw said:

Not so here. I can hit Ctr-4 as much as I want, no DME Ident is being heard. Most probably something else is causing this for you Nickbe.

Try setting your NAV2 frequency to the DME beacon. I checked with P3D3, P3D4.1, I have enabled Audio DME Ident when pressing Ctrl+4, even if these settings are removed in the key settings. Maybe it's related with Windows regional settings (Russian)?

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020