Sign in to follow this  
europrodave

Overall Opinion of PMDG 777

One week in; it's fantastic.  The only problem I have with the T7 is ..... oh wait..... none.

Across the top menus of FSX, click Add-ons, Click EZdok camera add-on, then click GLOBAL ENABLE. It should "wake up" and start working again. Worked for me. I went further. Open EZdok Studio, and check the key combo for "GLOBAL ENABLE/DISABLE", I changed mine to CTL+SHIFT+F12, which is wild enough it doesn't conflict with any of my 777 key command combos or EZdok key commands.

Thank you very much. A very usefull tip. Hope it will work. :)

Nice to see that i'm not the only one.

I have mixed emotions... Not so much on the job PMDG did, but the aircraft itself. The PMDG 777 is incredible in looks, sounds, systems, flight dynamics, everything. But I never fully understood the amount of automation the airplane has until now. It's fun to fly, but it's almost too automated for my liking. Feels like you interact with the airplane about 10 times for an entire flight. 

Again, that's not a PMDG problem, they did a flawless job! Oh I almost forgot, how does everyone else feel about the wingflex? My first impressions is it seems overdone...?

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Negatives?

Configuring the throttles is a B#$@% and going back to the standard FSX controls completely messed up by fantastic setup.  I had to redo all of my configs yesterday for every aircraft and gave up on FSX controlling the throttles.  I now have my own work around which is to disconnect the A/T when I taxi and I have created a quick button press on my Throttle quad for this purpose.

I take it you have traditionally used FSUIPC to control all your hardware assignments to get better and finer control of the control inputs, and read the PMDG warning to assign control though FSX for the 777.  PMDG suggested the same for the NGX, but after some time lots of folks went back to assigning everything through FSUIPC, as I sure did and I have had no complaints for the NGX's handling via FSUIPC.   Now, same warning is in the 777 intro doc, but I have ignored it for the time being.  I see nothing wrong on my end in the 777 with FSUIPC controlling throttle, flight controls, brakes. 

Is there really a solid reason for assigning controls though FSX??   If the fly by wire or autothrottle systems require the user to assign aileron and elevator exclusively though the FSX controls, I will fully comply.

I have errors like this flying over heavy ORBX scenery regions. None if I fly straight FTX Global. So I think it's primarily that we have a lot of other high-detail stuff around the 777 than was available when the NGX released, which makes the former seem more fragile.

With FTX Central set to FTX Global(non hybrid), ALL your Orbx airports are enabled in the scenery library. Also in hybrid mode or having any of the regions enabled, ALL your regions and airports are enabled. This isn't good and will take up sizeable amounts of VAS. I tested disabling the airports while flying FAR away from any orbx regions but with Global, and gained 150 mb of vas. Stopping the airport and region DLLs from running freed another 30mb. I will soon test disabling Europe and AU regions and airports when flying in PNW and see how much is gained.

Negatives?

Configuring the throttles is a B#$@% and going back to the standard FSX controls completely messed up by fantastic setup.  I had to redo all of my configs yesterday for every aircraft and gave up on FSX controlling the throttles.  I now have my own work around which is to disconnect the A/T when I taxi and I have created a quick button press on my Throttle quad for this purpose.

Assigning the throttles and passing to fsuipc calibration, but NOT calibrating through fsuipc, fixed the throttles coming back to idle. It doesn't like fsuipc hijacking and massaging the throttle inputs.

Odd that as the problem only arises in the heaviest areas (PNW KSEA, AU YBBN) with those regions selected, nowhere else with FTXG Hybrid turned on, for me at least.