Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

No Vector Road Lights with UTX

No fps hit at all here. Also HiDef virtual cockpit when enabled will cause a fps drop on low spec systems, maybe.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Try flying around the Miami, Ft Lauderdale area with a traffic addon set from middle to high settings. I was getting between 14-16 fps with the terrain edits, when I normally get 35-40 (locked at 40) at night without. With UTX disabled and Global vector lighting using default roads, I was getting 25-30 which is very acceptable, while flying A2A C172.

I have a feeling that Orbx Vector product will be more efficient...well I really hope so anyway.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Hi,

Managed to get this working eventually.  I didn't get any UTX vector lights when FTX Central was in hybrid mode. A quick cycle between hybrid to non-hybrid and back again has seemed to have fixed the problem.

However, not all of the UTX roads I expect to have the lights, do so.

An example is at KSFO.  Taking off in the ultra light from 28L and then turning left to approx 200 I get lights in front of me and stretching into the distance to my right, but they suddenly stop to my left (heading approx 110) with only the non UTX roads remaining lit.  Even if I fly towards the non lit sections the lights do not appear.

Anyone else noticed anything similar.

Thanks,

Daz

Try flying around the Miami, Ft Lauderdale area with a traffic addon set from middle to high settings. I was getting between 14-16 fps with the terrain edits, when I normally get 35-40 (locked at 40) at night without. With UTX disabled and Global vector lighting using default roads, I was getting 25-30 which is very acceptable, while flying A2A C172.

I have a feeling that Orbx Vector product will be more efficient...well I really hope so anyway.

One thing about the UTX roads is that there are a lot more of them than default, so that equals a lot more lights.  This was a big issue for me before the first FTXG update was released, to the point where I stopped using the vector lights.  After the update to 1.1 though, at least on my system, the lights are a lot more FPS friendly.

Hi,

Managed to get this working eventually.  I didn't get any UTX vector lights when FTX Central was in hybrid mode. A quick cycle between hybrid to non-hybrid and back again has seemed to have fixed the problem.

An example is at KSFO.  Taking off in the ultra light from 28L and then turning left to approx 200 I get lights in front of me and stretching into the distance to my right, but they suddenly stop to my left (heading approx 110) with only the non UTX roads remaining lit.  Even if I fly towards the non lit sections the lights do not appear.

Thanks,

Daz

UTX roads are separated between urban and rural.  If you added the lights only to the urban roads (per my post earlier), you will see the lights stop where the road transitions from urban to rural.  I believe that if you add them to the rural, they will show up everywhere.

Hi,

Thanks,

Daz

Yes, I have.

I'm not on my FSX PC now.

Just to add to what Galen wrote above. In my setup (UTX Alaska + UTX TAC) terrain.cfg has 40 UT_ROAD_ texture types (urban, rural, bridges, dirt, driveway, etc.), some use the same textures, others differ in the Layout, width, etc.

I believe we must address all of them to attain the best results with vectored lights and UTX.

Cheers.

Yes, I have.

I'm not on my FSX PC now.

Just to add to what Galen wrote above. In my setup (UTX Alaska + UTX TAC) terrain.cfg has 40 UT_ROAD_ texture types (urban, rural, bridges, dirt, driveway, etc.), some use the same textures, others differ in the Layout, width, etc.

I believe we must address all of them to attain the best results with vectored lights and UTX.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info.

I thought I had edited them all but I'll have another search through the terrain.cfg. I assumed all the entries were basically grouped together in the cfg file.

If I have no joy I will post a screenshot of the issue.

Thanks,

Daz

"themachine" and "Bunkers" deserve some type of special merit award to solving this mystery. I tried it and it transformed my night flying.

Here is a request for the forum administrator:

Is it possible to rename this thread to something more meaningful. For example: "Solution for making FSGX Vector lights work with UTX". This is such an important thread, that I fear some folks aren't going to read far enough to find the solution. Just a thought.

Dang.

I just finished an app that automates setting or removing VectorAutogen to all or some UT_ROADS_ in terrain.cfg. and about to add a mix and match for textures.

I was about to ask ORBX and Scenery Solutions for permission to display their textures in the app but reading ORBX answer on another thread here, 
doing that seems is a lost cause.

So there goes my VectorAutogen  & mix and match texture application,  probably won’t see the light of day or make it public.

Dang.

I just finished an app that automates setting or removing VectorAutogen to all or some UT_ROADS_ in terrain.cfg. and about to add a mix and match for textures.

I was about to ask ORBX and Scenery Solutions for permission to display their textures in the app but reading ORBX answer on another thread here, 

So there goes my VectorAutogen  & mix and match texture application,  probably won’t see the light of day or make it public.

I would not allow you to make it public either. No offense.

Bob

I want to make sure, it's ok to keep "(Large divided highway with road signs and generic signs and large billboards and median barrier and middle lights)" segment in the edits correct?  I didn't want to make the edits to find out the syntax is incorrect.

Nice work guys

Benjamin Van Eps

it's ok to keep "(Large divided highway with road signs and generic signs and large billboards and median barrier and middle lights)"

Yes it's ok   :good:

While on the subject of UTX lighting, I recently read the UTX manual and it says the amount of night lighting is directly related to the "Complexity Slider". Yes, I actually read the manual!

Also, I did some testing while flying in the USA and Canada, it appears with UTX lighting enabled, from within Orbx FTX Central, the Lights Tweaker has no effect at all. I control the lights using the "Change Lighting Effects Brightness" within the UTX Setup Tool.

Dang.

Can you at least share your texture findings? No need for the app...

Dang.

Strictly legally speaking I guess you would not be changing any ORBX or UTX stuff if you limit your changes to the terrain.cfg. The terrain.cfg is Microsoft core stuff.

This might change the way ORBX or UTX is displayed but this is also changed by moving the sliders, or changing the resolution.

SO I guess as long as you do not shift ORBX/UTX files or change those directly, you should be good ...

Can you at least share your texture findings? No need for the app...

...... if you limit your changes to the terrain.cfg.

Making changes to texture calls for each affected Road [TEXTURE.???] within terrain.cfg, alone and editing layout parameters won’t work.

You’ll end up with a nasty mismatch and checkerboard road pattern. IMO Work has to be done with texture files. (Mix and Match)

However, I understand the IP issues at hand; that is why I wanted to ask permission in the first place.

Cheers.

Hi,

Thanks,

Daz

Did you get this sorted Daz? I added all the rural roads, bridges & ramps I could find  - hoping to resolve the problem this particular area south of KFSO but got no joy.

Is there a 'definitive' list of road objects that need to be massaged?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)