Sign in to follow this  
Guest united777

Passenger comfort

I have a question about flying big passenger aircraft like the B747-400... Take a look at this picture..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/31914.jpgI get the feeling that it isn't really comfortable for the passengers inside when the plane is flying in this high angle. I'm flying at 34000 feet at a speed that's even above the specified cruising speed. Autopilot engaged. Still the plane is angled upwards a little. I take it that planes don't actually fly like this in real life? So how do i trim the aircraft so it'll fly horizontally?This plane is the original boeing 747-400 in FS2003.Will be grateful for an answer./Erik

Guest Motormouse

Ok, I can answer this one a little bit.In the real world, the attitude that the plane takes in 'cruise' is a combination of the aerodynamic effect of the angles of incidence,between wing and horizontal tail;the airspeed being flown(and the resultant thrust setting being used);and the distribution of weight and balance.All these act around the plane's lateral axis. Some planes will fly with a nose up attitude,some nose down,some nearly horizontal.If you want to read up on the subject the books 'Flight without Formulae' by A.C Kermode and 'Handling the big jets' by Capt D P (Dai) Davies are recommended.In MS FS we have the added problem of 3d modelling to consider,the placement of the model around its' reference x,y,and z axis affects how it looks in flight.Hope this helps:-wavePete

So, what you're saying is that it can't be adjusted in any way?/Erik

Guest cw1011

The DC-10 flew at a marked nose up attitude. Flight attendents hated it - having to push those heavy meal carts "uphill" all the time.

I think it's a good way to get a workout on a long flight, thus avoiding those dreaded bloodclots. So, with the floor slanting up, it's like a treadmill. Walk up and down for a great workout.EytanTJSJ

At least its not comfortable for the flight attendends. Have you ever watched them pushing their trolleys uphill when serving the meals? Or preventing the trolleys from starting to roll towards the aft... man, that's hard sweaty work! :-)Wolfgang

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Hey:The nose-up attitude is not exactly uncomfortable, some aircraft fly that way. You feel just the same, remember that pressurization "numbs down" the inertia you feel inside the cabin (for example, the plane can be nose-up but your drink won't spill), even though stronger changes WILL be felt. You might feel the attitude if it's really sharp, or if you have to push more weight than your own through the cabin (like flight attendants do) Otherwise, I doubt you'd feel uncomfortable.DP

Guest glnflwrs

You will notice that the higher you fly the more "nose up" any plane will be. This is because of the thinner air requiring a higher angle of attack to maintain altitude. If you were to move the center of gravity forward to try to lower the nose you'd find it hard or impossible to maintain altitude, much less climb.Also, the higher the power setting, for the same elevator position, the higher the nose will be. While at 34,000 feet and cruising, pull the power back to idle and see what the nose does. A wing has to have a positive angle of attack to produce lift. I guess you could change the angle of incidence to try and level the plane at cruise but when you decide to decend you will almost be pointing at the ground.Glenn

Guest united777

What was said above is pretty much spot on, also, I was just on a United 777 (EDDF-KORD/my favorite a/c and Airline) I must say, even though you have 2-3 degree upward pitch att. you really can't tell the difference, infact I found it quite beneficial as I have that extra pitch up to recline my seat back if that makes sense.. "... AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"[b/]