Sign in to follow this  
Stéfano Costa

PMDG 777 & APU Start

Hey guys... I've bought PMDG777 on 4th Setember. Initially, all works ok (in the firsts 2 days). Buuut, today, when I went to turn on APU, it took like 20 minutes to turn it on. When I went to do it again, more than that... And I would like to know if it can be a BUG or can be CONFIGURATION PROBLEM. I had to turn on my engines at the blocks to do my pushback.. And I didn't change anything on FMC menu config.. What could be happened? I put some FMC images (MENU>PMDG SETUP>OPTIONS>SIMULATION)

All kind of help is welcome...

Thanks, Stefano

This also happened to me when i was trying to start the apu from the cold and dark state following the ,,ADDENDUM #2: COLD AND DARK START PROCEDURES" (page 106) of the tutorial...i turned on the battery, turned the nav lights on and tried to start the apu.

Nothing was happening (waited for 5+ minutes).

However, when loading up the ,,short" state i COULD restart the apu after shutting it down.

I found that nothing happened when I turned the APU on and waited, until I turned APU Gen on. Then the plane startup process started. Is this what you mean?

Is there a fault light under the APU? If so try holding right click at the AUTO position it will switch to on after few seconds

You got to HOLD right click at AUTO  

What's the apu state on the stat eicas page?

These values seem not to change somehow, regardless of the apu selector position.

When switching to external view i actually can hear the apu, what is weird since i didn't start it at this point.

I read the documentation and already maintainenced the apu via the fmc.

Also loading another state didnt help...

Regards,

Are you starting from a panel state? Aliso when the APU is shut down there is a cooling off period. You need to wait for that to compete.

I have a APU issue, too. I cant understand this. APU is running and APU Gen is ON but dont go online if i switch off external power. My aircraft lost full power. Some Copilot site goes offline. I have reloaded some panel states but, it wont work. I cant start engines, 'cause there is no air from APU...

I dont have a clue in which condition this happen and if i can reproduce this.

Are you starting from a panel state? Aliso when the APU is shut down there is a cooling off period. You need to wait for that to compete.

Thanks for your answer,

i'm fully aware of the apu cool down period, this isnt the problem.

And yes, i was indeed using a panel state:

Neither in the cold and dark nor in the ,,long" panel state i was able to start the apu. However, i was able to start the apu without any problems after putting the aircraft in a cold and dark state by my self.

I saved that self-created state and loaded it up but was unable to reproduce a successful apu powerup (what's odd: the apu can still be heard in the external view, it seems that somehow it got ,,stuck" in the previous panel state).

So the (my?) problem seems to be located somehow in the panel states.

Thanks,

Same problem here,

loading the cold and dark default panel state.

Turning on battery.

Starting APU by holding the switch until it pops back. Nothing happens. Sometimes APU inlet opens, sometimes not. But no power. Waited also for 5+ minutes.

Regards

Alex

I startet Engine via external AIR and this works. APU is working but no AIR and no GEN is working.

I was able to reproduce the issue:

This happens when you load the cold an dark state right after a previous state, in which the apu was still running/not finished cooling down.

When shutting down the apu in the default state (+ cool down time) and THEN loading cold and dark it finally works.

Hence my stuck apu rpm value in my previous post.

Thanks LowwLugim,

that seems indeed to be the problem. I tried making cold and dark the default load state, ended the flight, started again (thus loading automatically the Cold and Dark state). Started battery, APU and the fun begins. Within 1 or 2 minutes. 

However, strange that if you load a panel state after another, that it remembers some settings from the previous state.

Kind regards

Alex

However, strange that if you load a panel state after another, that it remembers some settings from the previous state.

Strange indeed . I could even hear the ,,ghost-APU" in external view. Kinda scary!  :P