Sign in to follow this  
Gnacino

Throttle problems

Same issue for me. I use the Saitek Proflight Yoke with throttle quadrant. With NGX I had everything (Ail, Elev, Rud, Spoil, T1, T2, BrakeL, BrakeR) assigned and calibrated through FSUIPC.

With the 777X, the throttles do not remain advanced but jump back. TOGA works however (doesn't require axes input I would guess.)

Here is how I fixed it on my setup:

1) In FSUIPC on the Axis Assignment tab, detect each throttle axis and set "Send to FS as normal axis" in the "Type of action required" section.

2) On the "Joystick Calibration" tab, make sure each Throttle Axis (page 1 of 11 AND page 3 of 11) is set to "Axis not processed"

3) In FSX, go to settings --> controls --> Control Axes. Make sure in "Controller Type", the hardware that controls the the throttles is identified. Mine is the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke.

4) Under "Event", locate and select "Engine 1 throttle axis". Use New/Change Assignment and assign your axis for Throttle 1.

5) Under "Event", locate and select "Engine 2 throttle axis". Use New/Change Assignment and assign your axis for Throttle 2.

6) Ensure that nothing else is assigned to the throttles (other joysticks, buttons.)

Other than the throttles, everything else is still works through FSUIPC.

Hope this helps. I did pull my hair out for a while not that I have that much left anymore - hehe.

Hi had a same problem before.

1. Start the flight

2. set up all what you have to do

3. When ready to taxi and Throttle spikes back to idle

4. open fsuipc go to Throttle calibration and reset both for THR1 and 2 and save it .( After you reset bouth do not calibrated again !!!!!)

5. no problem after .

I think pmdg products have some kind of trouble with fsuipc calibration for throttles . I had the same with pmdg 737 ngx couldnt see throttles actually moving in VC.

So if you are using fsuipc with PMDG 777 just asign your external hardware to be use with fsuipc , ( set up your axis but do not calibrate  only for Throttles)

Give it a go works for me like a charm

Regards Petr

What I did was kind of a combination of things:

1- In FSUIPC on the axis assignment tab, detect each throttle axis and under type of action required, click the radio button "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration", below that radio button, put a tickmark in the first window, and from the dropdown, choose your throttle (either 1 or 2) then click OK button. < in this step you are ASSIGNING the throttle(s) in FSX but NOT calibrating them.

2- Still in FSUIPC, click on the "Joystick Calibration Tab" make sure each Throttle Axis (both Throttle 1 and Throttle 2 on page 1 of 11 AND page 3 of 11) are set to "Axis Not processed" <<- by marking 'axis not processed' (click the set button to clear any previous calibrations out) - you are de-calbrating via FSUIPC, that is, FSUIPC is not 'coloring' or 'affecting' your throttle outputs to the airplane fly by wire system. However, FSUIPC is telling the fly-by-wire which of your thottle levers affects which engine throttle control movement.

3- In FSX, do NOT activate any of your controllers. Have them all assigned (but not calibrated) in FSUIPC. Your controllers in FSX should be UNTICKED. All inputs are sent via FSUIPC.

4- What you are doing is NOT calibrating the throttles in FSUIPC. The inputs are NOT "processed" (not calibrated) but they are ASSIGNED, so FSX knows that when you move lever 1 that is Throttle 1 and when you move lever 2 that is Throttle 2 (assuming you have dual throttle quadrant).

This works for me, and I can taxi with A/P off and A/T off. Once I am in position on the runway, I can select A/T "ON" on the MCP panel, move the throttles to 55% and then hit the TOGA button on my MCP Combo 2 (Boeing) Controller and engage Toga. After Rotating and climbing to about 800 feet, I can engage the A/P.

Try this for yourself.

I do NOT use the T.A.R.G.E.T. software that ships with my Hotas Wathog AT ALL. It is NOT installed on my system.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

What I did was kind of a combination of things:

1-  In FSUIPC on the axis assignment tab, detect each throttle axis and under type of action required, click the radio button "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration", below that radio button, put a tickmark in the first window, and from the dropdown, choose your throttle (either 1 or 2) then click OK button.

2-  Still in FSUIPC, click on the "Joystick Calibration Tab" make sure each Throttle Axis (both Throttle 1 and Throttle 2 on page 1 of 11 AND page 3 of 11) are set to "Axis Not processed"

3- In FSX, do NOT activate any of your controllers.  Have them all assigned in FSUIPC. 

4- What you are doing is NOT calibrating the throttles in FSUIPC.  The inputs are NOT "processed" but they are ASSIGNED, so FSX knows that when you move lever 1 that is Throttle 1 and when you move lever 2 that is Throttle 2  (assuming you have dual throttle quadrant).

This works for me, and I can taxi with A/P off and A/T off.  Once I am in position on the runway, I can select A/T "ON" on the MCP panel, move the throttles to 55% and then hit the TOGA button on my MCP Combo 2 (Boeing) Controller and engage Toga.  After Rotating and climbing to about 800 feet, I can engage the A/P.

WORKS FOR ME.

So it's like the guy above my post - EXCEPT I do NOT assign the controllers (throttles) to be assigned in FSX, I leave them ASSIGNED (but NOT calibrated) in FSUIPC.  You can try both solutions and choose the one that works for YOU.

HINT:  On my system, My Hotas Warthog Controllers are calibrated in WINDOWS devices and printers.

Yes! Robert this works perfectly and is cleaner than assigning the throttles in FSX. Now all my axes are assigned in FSUIPC. All my axes EXCEPT throttle 1 & 2 are calibrated with FSUIPC. I believe this is what Petr was saying ie assign but do not calibrate in FSUIPC.

Works great, thanks Petr and Robert.

I am glad it work . I dont let fsx to asign any controllers ( axis) , but simply stated asign in fsuipc ,but do not calibrate.

Thanks for reply Scott

Yes! Robert this works perfectly and is cleaner than assigning the throttles in FSX. Now all my axes are assigned in FSUIPC. All my axes EXCEPT throttle 1 & 2 are calibrated with FSUIPC. I believe this is what Petr was saying ie assign but do not calibrate in FSUIPC.

I am glad it work . I dont let fsx to asign any controllers ( axis) , but simply stated asign in fsuipc ,but do not calibrate.

Thanks for reply Scott

I am happy that I was able to clarify what Petr was trying to say all along.  I tried almost every combination possible, and what I posted was the happy result.  Thanks to Petr for getting me aimed at the ultimate solution, which will benefit me both on the 777 and the NGX as well.

May I just say that with this now corrected, this plane is by far and away the finest and smoothest flying airliner I have had the pleasure to pilot.  I flew the last 1000 feet on ILS at KLAX 25L and never landed so smoothly.  Even without the HUD (which I do have in the NGX).  

It's made FSX 'all new' and totally exciting for me once again.  The best money ever invested, bar none.  I knew PMDG was quality, and they NEVER disappoint!

Everyone who cried for an earlier release date - to them I say - something like this was WORTH the wait!

And to Captain Randazzo and Tabs-  and the rest of the PMDG team - I have a one-word review of the Triple 7:   

WOW!!!!!!

And to Guenseli and Artem Crum (developers of LINDA LUA script GUI for FSX) may I also say a loud and hearty THANK YOU for the early-days release of the PMDG 777 module to control the VRinsight MCP Combo II (Boeing) unit!  I can make instant adjustments to all major flight parameters and dial up the range on the ND, Baro pressure, hit the Localizer/Approach switches, turn on FD, A/T, A/P, and all that stuff- all from the very fine MCP controller by VRinsight.  Dial up radio frequencies for Vatsim or PilotEdge as well.  I have previously donated to the Linda team, and will do so again for this fine effort.  To those who own the VRI MCP Combo 2 (Boeing) - even though the new Linda 777 module for the VRi MCP Combo II (Boeing) is still not totally finished - this new Linda module adds the ability to control almost everything and allows you to nearly ditch your mouse... a game-changer, for sure.  

Missing my beloved NGX brought me back home to FSX, and the Triple 7 locked the door.  SUMMARY achievement by PMDG!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Just wanted to confirm that the procedure that Robert has outlined worked for me. Looks like the key was not having the throttles calibrated through FSUIPC, you can have them assigned through the program, just not calibrated. Thanks Robert!

Adam

Just wanted to confirm that the procedure that Robert has outlined worked for me. Looks like the key was not having the throttles calibrated through FSUIPC, you can have them assigned through the program, just not calibrated. Thanks Robert!

Adam

Thanks for the kind words.  Always appreciated.  Lord knows we're all in this together.  To be fair, PMDG was very emphatic in the 777 setup instructions NOT to use FSUIPC for throttle calibration.  Of course we all disregarded the advice.  Then we discovered why they gave it!  DOH!

Cheers.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

What is the setting you all have the FMC A/T over ride set to? Never, in hold or always?

Also I have the Jetmax 737 throttle quadrant working perfectly with the NGX. Will this mess it up?

Eric 

4- What you are doing is NOT calibrating the throttles in FSUIPC. The inputs are NOT "processed" (not calibrated) but they are ASSIGNED, so FSX knows that when you move lever 1 that is Throttle 1 and when you move lever 2 that is Throttle 2 (assuming you have dual throttle quadrant).

This works for me, and I can taxi with A/P off and A/T off. Once I am in position on the runway, I can select A/T "ON" on the MCP panel, move the throttles to 55% and then hit the TOGA button on my MCP Combo 2 (Boeing) Controller and engage Toga. After Rotating and climbing to about 800 feet, I can engage the A/P.

But the whole point of this issue is the A/T switches are almost never to be touched - the beta testers even added this as a late change to default them on for us.  The NGX always has the A/T Arm switch enabled during preflight and was never an issue for any FSUIPC setup.

If I understand your 'send direct to FSUIPC calibration' - without a calibration above, it's working because you're still turning off the A/T switches during taxi.  What happens when you're descending on VNAV with A/T on, and the PFD is in Hold' mode (with the FMC option to allow throttle movement in hold)?  Do your VC throttles move according to your real hardware axis movements - or stay put, with the above setup?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Al:

I need to test Robert's solution more thoroughly, but so far, with A/T switches ON, I can taxi normally and see no throttle issues as I had before.

Can't answer your question regarding VNAV descent just yet.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Tried this in FSUIPC. When in Axis Assignment, nothing registers when I move either throttle. The GF TQ6 is not assigned in FSX.

Thanks, Wayne.  I had just discovered two things as well and can now move the throttles while parked at the gate with Robert's settings and A/T Arm switches on as well.  Like you, have not yet tested VNAV descent with throttles working in 'Hold' mode yet either.

In addition to Robert's settings above, it appears you must have "CONTROLLERS ENABLED" (checked) in the FSX Menu > Options > Control GUI - BUT, make sure all axis and buttons are stripped from the Seitek Yoke and TQ.  I had Throttles 1 &  2 axis still in there from testing last night, which were conflicting with Robert's 'Direct to FSUIPC Calibration' (without FSUIPC calibrations) guidance.

Tried this in FSUIPC. When in Axis Assignment, nothing registers when I move either throttle. The GF TQ6 is not assigned in FSX.

See my post just above - is your "CONTROLLERS Enabled" box checked in the FSX Menu > Options > Contorls GUI?  After adding the checkmark, check several times that no axis or buttons are added to any of your control devices.  OK back to the FS sessions and check the FSX controls again - several times.  FSX control device axis and buttons have a mysterious way of being added automatically or not truly deleted when indicated.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE