Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Is a 777 really this easy to fly?

am old thread I know

However given how easy it is for everyone in here to fly the 777 pmdg and i have only just got it.  I have watched a video or two, and i am completely and utterly lost with it.

I have become so accustomed to the unrealistic 737 stock variants, that when it comes to this aircraft...which i really need to master quite quickly, given I am a member of a virual airline

and I need to really be doing international flights..I really could do with a helping hand into being able to fly this bird.  I am still trying to work out the fmc...and i kind of understand the concept of stars and sids...however I have no charts, fuel planners or anything, that defines these aircraft (i bought the NGX 737 as well), and I have no idea what to do.  I was hoping one of you kind gentleman may be able to give me a guiding hand that is more simplistic than complicated for my brain lol

many thanks!

Funny story. When I was studying for my assessment at my current airline last year, I flew many many hours on the NGX. Flying and training the whole set of manuevers over and over again. Takeoff, timed climbing turns and descents, raw data ILS to Go Around. Engine out during Go Around and back to single engine ILS with FD only. So when the day came, they told us in the briefing:"Guess what guys. The 737 SIM here is booked full, so you'll be doing your assessment on the real deal. The 777." I was a little nervous. But BOY does that thing fly like a charm! I put the 777 in a climbing turn at 1000 fpm. The instructor felt I had the aircraft correctly trimmed. He told me to let go of the column. Low and behold, the bank stayed pegged at 30 degrees and the VS was pegged at 1000 fpm all the way to the new altitude. This thing is amazing! The only thing I don't like is that it is waaay too sensitive. On approach in gusty weather, the yoke never deflects more than 2 or 3 degrees either side .... lest you want a 60 degree turn on final :-)

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

7 hours ago, xkoote said:

The only thing I don't like is that it is waaay too sensitive. On approach in gusty weather, the yoke never deflects more than 2 or 3 degrees either side .... lest you want a 60 degree turn on final :-)

To be clear, do you mean the PMDG 777 is too sensitive?  If you use FSUIPC you could adjust the axis curve to make it less sensitive near the center, neutral position.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No. The real one of course 😊

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

On 3/22/2017 at 6:40 PM, jimbobjoe said:

am old thread I know

However given how easy it is for everyone in here to fly the 777 pmdg and i have only just got it.  I have watched a video or two, and i am completely and utterly lost with it.

I have become so accustomed to the unrealistic 737 stock variants, that when it comes to this aircraft...which i really need to master quite quickly, given I am a member of a virual airline

and I need to really be doing international flights..I really could do with a helping hand into being able to fly this bird.  I am still trying to work out the fmc...and i kind of understand the concept of stars and sids...however I have no charts, fuel planners or anything, that defines these aircraft (i bought the NGX 737 as well), and I have no idea what to do.  I was hoping one of you kind gentleman may be able to give me a guiding hand that is more simplistic than complicated for my brain lol

many thanks!

I would start with the tutorial and then youtube has an abundance of tutorial videos.

Then you want to get PFPX for flight planning (fuel planning) and a subscription to Navigraph for charts. 

Thanks

Erwan de Quillien

18 hours ago, SoCal81 said:

I would start with the tutorial and then youtube has an abundance of tutorial videos.

Then you want to get PFPX for flight planning (fuel planning) and a subscription to Navigraph for charts. 

Thanks

Erwan de Quillien

They are asking for help in coping with the complexity of this sim and your are pointing them at the most complex planning tool available. SimBrief is free and is much easier to use. Its fuel predictions are very accurate without any need for user adjustment  

Also you don't need to buy Navigraph charts. Charts are easily available free online. Not always fully up to date but good enough for flight simulation. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

On 4/5/2017 at 10:51 AM, kevinh said:

They are asking for help in coping with the complexity of this sim and your are pointing them at the most complex planning tool available. SimBrief is free and is much easier to use. Its fuel predictions are very accurate without any need for user adjustment  

Also you don't need to buy Navigraph charts. Charts are easily available free online. Not always fully up to date but good enough for flight simulation. 

Although I agree with you that flight simulation is possible with all of the free resources on line, you will get quite frustrated at times when your charts don't have the SID or STAR available because it's outdated or your FMC doesn't have the up to date data and so you are unable to select the correct SID and STAR. I suppose it depends on how realistic you want to make your flight simulation experience.

I don't believe that PFPX is all that difficult to create a basic flight plan and export it to your aircraft. It does offer more complex flight planning capabilities, however if you can learn to fly a PMDG aircraft you'll be ok. Youtube has a video tutorial for everything in flight simulation...

On 07/04/2017 at 8:17 PM, SoCal81 said:

Although I agree with you that flight simulation is possible with all of the free resources on line, you will get quite frustrated at times when your charts don't have the SID or STAR available because it's outdated or your FMC doesn't have the up to date data and so you are unable to select the correct SID and STAR. I suppose it depends on how realistic you want to make your flight simulation experience.

I don't believe that PFPX is all that difficult to create a basic flight plan and export it to your aircraft. It does offer more complex flight planning capabilities, however if you can learn to fly a PMDG aircraft you'll be ok. Youtube has a video tutorial for everything in flight simulation...

There are a ton of tutorials on YouTube but only a few are any good. Most are misleading or plain wrong. Best to stick to official tutorials to begin with.

PFPX is fine if you want the full dispatch planning experience. You have to create profiles for all the aircraft you want to use. Simbrief allows you almost all the functionality at no cost, and with no ongoing license fee. You don't have to create profiles, though you can if you wish. I'd certainly recommend trying Simbrief first before committing hard earned cash to PFPX. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

Some pilots who use it that I have spoken to say it's very accurate but "Nothing match the real thing." 
So, I'll take this bird and fly it as intended by PMDG.

BRGDS