Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Is a 777 really this easy to fly?

The PMDG handles so well and landings are real easy.  I was not expecting that.   I struggle to make perfect landings with the PMD 737NG as did I in the full motion simulator. I never liked the 737. 

Is it me, or a 777 is easier to fly and less complicated from the pilot's perspective than the 737NG?

So far no bugs, issues, problems with over 20  short  flights. I am actually getting bored!  Nice work PMDG.

I think I'll book my full motion 777 simulator in December in Miami.  There is room for someone in the right seat.

Paul Gugliotta

I have to agree on the ease of landing the 777. On my first test flight I landed it manually, not crashed as I have become accustomed to with test flight manual landings for all the other great PMDG add ons I have.

I remember talking to an Emirates 777 pilot about the plane a few years ago and he observed, humorously, that for someone like him who is not very bright, it is the ideal plane to operate.

I agree! This bird has replaced the MD-11 as my favorite although the older lady is still respectable. LOL my last simulator ride was in a C-141 in the days of analog computers.

Dan Downs KCRP

Gentlemen

The 777 is very easy to fly. In my humble opinion, after just very few hours/sectors on the PMDG 777, the roll and flare characteristics are a bit easier to handle than in the real aircraft.

However, when time permits, I will take it up for a complete "C" test profile to see how it squares out.

But my overall first impression with the product as with any other products from PMDG is "outstanding".

Best regards

Palle

I flew with a Captain on the 737 who is a former 777 FO and he said he didn't like flying the 777 because with the fly by wire it was too easy to fly. It takes some of the basic stick and rudder skills out of flying it.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

I find the PMDG 737NGX Easier to fly, but that's just because my Dad, Uncle are both pilots for United... And they have taught me a lot of stuff about the aircraft...

• Upvote 1

Years ago with little real world jet time, I flew the new level d sim at FSI Seattle and I can assure you, it is a VERY EASY jet to hand fly and do lots of touch and goes with! Very light on roll, heavy on pitch forces.... And at min weight we had a vref of 118 and max auto brakes stopped in 2500 feet! Never even got the reverses open in time haha

Years ago with little real world jet time, I flew the new level d sim at FSI Seattle and I can assure you, it is a VERY EASY jet to hand fly and do lots of touch and goes with! Very light on roll, heavy on pitch forces.... And at min weight we had a vref of 118 and max auto brakes stopped in 2500 feet! Never even got the reverses open in time haha

I've had no problems landing this bird, not sure if its the FBW logic or what.  But I was watching some Just Planes 777-200LR videos and they seamed very much at ease landing it.  One pilot  on the polar route seamed somewhat new as the Captain was giving a little guidance and motivation landing and the first officer whom again seamed new greased the last landing of the video and the Captain congratulated him.

After two years of almost exclusive NGX time, I found the T7 to be very easy to fly.  My first test flight was Paine Field to Moses Lake to simulate pre-delivery testing and the landing was very smooth.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

yes i found this so much easier to hand fly. it seems to trim itself or something.

Hehe, that's because it does trim itself ;)

23.png

yes i found this so much easier to hand fly. it seems to trim itself or something.

As above, there was a youtube vid (the vid is no longer available) where the Emirates captain explains - so supporting what you say - that you do not get the ballooning effect when, like you may in say a 747, selecting flaps 20. It just stays straight and level was basically what he said!

I did get to fly the T7 sim for 2 hours back in February of this year (along with 3 other co-workers of mine). We did all takeoffs/touch-n-gos/full-stop landings and ILS approaches at VHHH...google map overlays for visuals were awesome. The only system on the airplane that we used to control anything was the autothrottles. Yes, the airplane was very easy to hand fly and land. One person landed so hard that it shut down the visuals in the sim. Mx had to come and reset the simulator :lol: . The only time I had to manipulate the rudder was during takeoff/landing roll. That's it. Had to work the trim quite a bit though during all phases of flight. Most of the approaches I flew were at 135 Vref + 5 knots (140) and made 3 nice landings. Also, the T7 handled a 20 knot crosswind like a boss ^_^

The PMDG T7 does replicate the actual airplane quite well, so I commend PMDG for a job well done!

If you read the tutorial , there is no difficulty.

The 777 is easier than the MD-11