Sign in to follow this  
AirborneZed

Saving flight to avoid OOMs

Is it safe to save your flight halfway, so that you reset your VAS usage and prevent OOMs? particularly during a long haul?

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Safe: yes.
Able to actually reduce VAS, probably not.

Relying on that method to stop OOM's when you are on approach to EHAM with Aerosoft and NL2000 loaded in the 777-200LR on Vatsim after cross the pond with 500 aircraft at and near EHAM? ... no.

Better to reduce terrain/texture draw distance, Cloud draw distance, Autogen density, remove shadows, cut the max texture size down to something normally selectable etc.

Basically get that intro guide and do all those OOM tweaks.

Safe: yes.

Able to actually reduce VAS, probably not.

Relying on that method to stop OOM's when you are on approach to EHAM with Aerosoft and NL2000 loaded in the 777-200LR on Vatsim after cross the pond with 500 aircraft at and near EHAM? ... no.

Better to reduce terrain/texture draw distance, Cloud draw distance, Autogen density, remove shadows, cut the max texture size down to something normally selectable etc.

Basically get that intro guide and do all those OOM tweaks.

What I mean is reset the amount of memory available at lets say, top of decent. Surely I'm preventing an OOM, because for me an OOMhappens when I have the simulator open for hours around dense scenery.

BetaTeamD.png

What I mean is reset the amount of memory available at lets say, top of decent. Surely I'm preventing an OOM, because for me an OOMhappens when I have the simulator open for hours around dense scenery.

Dense scenery will still be there when you load up the saved state.

I seriously made 2 minor changes that completely removed my OOM. Autogen to normal from dense and reduced my cloud texture to 1024 from 2048 in Rex. I make changes to my scenery library just to make sure but I completed 2 test flights successfully without disabling certain sceneries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Autogen to normal from dense and reduced my cloud texture to 1024 from 2048 in Rex

How does increasing Autogen and texture size help with OOM's?

I reduced both. Had OOM with clouds at 2048 and Autogen on dense. No OOM with clouds at 1024 and autogen at normal. Was a reduction in both.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

The 1024 texture thing, and reducing LOD radius did it for me. There's an Aerosoft scenery out there that adjusts this up a fair way... and OOM's start happening soon thereafter.

But 2048 or bigger textures are just an OOM waiting to happen. It's fine if you're flying a Carenado GA at 8000ft and 180kts, but put an airliner at 480kts groundspeed at FL350, well... no.

Keeping these things under control should be the primary way of keeping VAS usage down.

Of course after a 16 hour flight of real time, it might be an idea to save and reload the thing... the saving/reload may be the last chance to get into some addon scenery locales.

Myself, I havn't tried reloading the 777 airborne, but it should be possible. even if a bit of slewing, plummetting out of the sky while you reprogram everything etc occupies the first 5 mins :P

The 1024 texture thing, and reducing LOD radius did it for me. There's an Aerosoft scenery out there that adjusts this up a fair way... and OOM's start happening soon thereafter.

But 2048 or bigger textures are just an OOM waiting to happen. It's fine if you're flying a Carenado GA at 8000ft and 180kts, but put an airliner at 480kts groundspeed at FL350, well... no.

Keeping these things under control should be the primary way of keeping VAS usage down.

Of course after a 16 hour flight of real time, it might be an idea to save and reload the thing... the saving/reload may be the last chance to get into some addon scenery locales.

Myself, I havn't tried reloading the 777 airborne, but it should be possible. even if a bit of slewing, plummetting out of the sky while you reprogram everything etc occupies the first 5 mins :P

I've been trying this, in order for it to work:

First take note with process explorer, the amount of virtual usage. I had about 3.4gb.

Close active sky/opus, select a default weather theme, (otherwise you'll get weather.dll error on load) wait for your plane to stop freeaking out, save and exit,load, you will start out with the countdown at the top left because you're loading a panel state, wait to stabilize, open up weather engine.

I open up process explorer, and upon observing I can see that saving after a 6 hr flight with 1hr to go saved me a lot of VAS space, (2.1gb used)I did not have an OOM at the end of the flight.

Lod= 5.500000

Textures= 4092

Although I should lower these settings

BetaTeamD.png

LOD should be 4.5 and 2048 should be sufficient in all regular operations.

Brian A. Neuman

LOD should be 4.5 and 2048 should be sufficient in all regular operations.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure about 2048? Won't that degrade the textures by a significant ammount? Like a few years in time perhaps?

I will definetly use LOD 4.5 though

BetaTeamD.png

First take note with process explorer, the amount of virtual usage. I had about 3.4gb.

Close active sky/opus, select a default weather theme, ...  save and exit,load, ...

I open up process explorer, and upon observing I can see that saving after a 6 hr flight with 1hr to go saved me a lot of VAS space, (2.1gb used)I did not have an OOM at the end of the flight.

Although I should lower these settings

Lod= 5.500000

Textures= 4092

Good to see it works.

But yea, I'v got my textures down on 2048 and LOD under 4.5 - turned up fiber_frame_time_fraction= in the FSX.cfg which stopped blurries (the effect on Orbx YMML was the difference between landing on a browny/greeny smudge and landing on an airport with taxiways that even had taxiway markings, cracks etc.

For sure "blurries" where the textures were taking several minutes to render were far more problematic than "the texture looks bad because it's only in 1028 equivalent of High Definition digital TV"

I wish we could have a 64 bit FS.

the 32 bit as we know is limited to around 4GB of VAS. A 64bit program would theoretically have something like 17179869184GB addressing space. (Binary2 to the power of 64 instead of binary2  to the power of 32) www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJQ691PTKsA

You sure about 2048? Won't that degrade the textures by a significant ammount? Like a few years in time perhaps?

I will definetly use LOD 4.5 though

I don't think so. I'd try it to see if you can see a difference. I made that resolution change into clouds and couldn't see a bit of difference but got a pretty significant performance boost and cleared my OOM issues.

Brian A. Neuman

I don't think so. I'd try it to see if you can see a difference. I made that resolution change into clouds and couldn't see a bit of difference but got a pretty significant performance boost and cleared my OOM issues.

I've been using hde clouds, which I know are very detailed, ill go ahead and try 2048 Rex clouds

Oh and love the vatsim videos @Hopskip

BetaTeamD.png