Sign in to follow this  
mounty

SOUND

Hi,

I also have the PMDG 737 NGX and I'm using a 5-1 sound system and get the engines in the rear speakers.  In other words I'm getting surround sound.  However with the T7, I'm only getting sound from the front speakers.  I checked the setup in the FMC and it has the same speakers checked.  I've tried using the Q control, but nothing changes.  Am I missing something here or is this normal for just the front speakers?

Thanks

Rob

Well generally speaking the engines are behind you when in the cockpit. Have you gone to spot view and circled the plane to see if anything comes from the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Well generally speaking the engines are behind you when in the cockpit.

Yes. That's what he wants, but that's not what he's getting. Instead it appears his rear speakers are not giving any sound, and all the sound is coming from the front.

I don't have 5.1 surround, just 2 speakers, so I can't be of much help here I'm afraid.

What he said is that the 737NGX is working well, and the 777 is acting like his system only has 2 speakers even when set up for 5.1 surround (which SHOULD give engine sound from the rear speakers, but are not.)

Yes. That's what he wants, but that's not what he's getting. Instead it appears his rear speakers are not giving any sound, and all the sound is coming from the front.

I don't have 5.1 surround, just 2 speakers, so I can't be of much help here I'm afraid.

What he said is that the 737NGX is working well, and the 777 is acting like his system only has 2 speakers even when set up for 5.1 surround (which SHOULD give engine sound from the rear speakers, but are not.)

My bad I misunderstood the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

The sound files are recorded in 2 channel stereo and are cd quality 16bit /44.1khz

if you want to mess with all those files you would have to individually edit them with a program like Audacity

For "real" 5.1 sound you would start with a multi-track recording. The tracks can then be "panned", "filtered" and "delayed" to the appropriate speakers to create the desired spacial effect. If you are starting from a stereo mix, the best that you can do is to create a kind of "pseudo" (fake) 5.1 effect.
For the centre channel, mix the left and right channels to mono and reduce the bass.
For front Left/Right, try the "widen" preset in the Channel mixer plug-in. http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqui ... nnel_Mixer
For the rear left/right, try the channel mixer plug-in, You could also try applying a little delay to the rear channels - insert about 40 ms of silence at the start of the track.

For the LFE channel, mix to mono and apply a low pass filter.

You will need to adjust the levels of the tracks to get it to sound right.
For the correct channel mapping, search Google, Different file formats use different channel mappings

LOL good luck

John C

Aren't the sound files for the 737 NGX recorded in 2 channel stereo too? The NGX works perfectly in 5-1.  I would think that if the 5-1 works for the NGX, it would work for the T7. I wouldn't think they downgraded the sound for the T7.  My system is a Logitech 5-1 sound system and the Realtek Sound Manager is set to 5-1.  I have heard a warning voice coming from the right rear speaker when I accidently taxied onto the grass, so at least one sound is going to the rear.  Other than the warning, nothing else comes from the rear speakers.

Rob

.  I have heard a warning voice coming from the right rear speaker when I accidently taxied onto the grass, so at least one sound is going to the rear.  

RAAS going to the rear speakers... I wonder if this is what's happening with some other users missing the RAAS callouts who only have 2 speakers :P

sorry not helping with your issue, but maybe someone else might benifit from it. Hopefully we can get someone on the team to figure this one out...

Hi,

I also have the PMDG 737 NGX and I'm using a 5-1 sound system and get the engines in the rear speakers.  In other words I'm getting surround sound.  However with the T7, I'm only getting sound from the front speakers.  I checked the setup in the FMC and it has the same speakers checked.  I've tried using the Q control, but nothing changes.  Am I missing something here or is this normal for just the front speakers?

Thanks

Rob

Yup, same thing here.  In the NGX I get the engine rumbles from my 5.1 rear-pair, and when running the T7, the rear-pair are totally silent - nothing.  I certainly hear all the T7 sounds from the front, but I don't think it's as immersive sounding as it is in the NGX.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

i second this suround sound request,

...i have only quadrophonic but Logitech THX system which could kick the 777 sounds even more in surround, especially because of the professional 3d cockpit philosophy PMDG give to us, so this can only be a bug ithink.

...sound is very important for me and it seams many sound "gurus" are reading this thread allready so let me give a link here to my sound request, as it seams to get undertaken by the flood of new posts here in this forum... -> http://forum.avsim.net/topic/419680-req-pmdg-777-sounds-continue-playing-if-fsx-is-not-in-focus/

Sincerely,

JG

PMDG-DC-6-banner.jpg

Well i tried :rolleyes: maybe i'll try to see if my buddy Steve Hoffman can come on here and explain it you

John C

Well i tried :rolleyes: maybe i'll try to see if my buddy Steve Hoffman can come on here and explain it you

Were you explaining why there is no sound coming out of rear speakers of 5.1 surround users for the 777?

Can you explain why there IS sound coming out of rear speakers of 5.1 surround users on the older 737NGX product?

John,

I don't need any explanation of what you wrote earlier.  The issue is that 5-1 sound works fine for the NGX - engines and some environment sounds come from the rear speakers -  and therefore should work the same with the T7, but for some reason which is probably to do with the T7 software only sound from the rear speakers is the voice for taxiing onto the runway, and that's on one speaker only.  The Realtek Sound Manager is set for the 5-1 system which is what I use and it works OK for NGX.  What I want to know is why the T7 doesn't work the same as the NGX.

Rob

Apparently the sound files in the NGX are different from the T7.  The sound files in the NGX are read by FSX and separate sounds can be heard from a 5-1 system.  However the sound files in the T7 are not compiled in the same way and FSX doesn't read them the same as NGX so you only get 2-1 sound.

Rob

According to Ryan from PMDG the sound set won't work in 5-1 like the NGX, it is only stereo and no sound from rear speakers.

Anyone know a workaround?

Rob