Sign in to follow this  
Jerad

Belly Landing Physics Mod?

Hey, this may be a weird question. 
Is there a mod that changes the physics in fsx and so you can do belly landings in fsx better without bouncing?
And water physics so you can at least set the plane down on top of water?

I don't know, its probably not possible. I don't think enough people would want to practice these crash landings. 

The first thing to do to stop the instant bouncing is make sure the collision and damage options in FSX realism menu are switched off. Next it is best to increase the collision values in the scrape points within the contact point section in the aircraft cfg file of a given aircraft. Next you optionally need a special effect to simulate custom sparks and associated visual effects when the fuselage hits the tarmac runway.

Finally you need to fine tune and adjust all the scrape points by trial and error until the fuselage behaves in a convincing way when it hits the deck with gear up. Similar adjustments need to be done to simulate a believable landing on water.

The whole thing takes quite a lot of time consuming work. All our recent aircraft can do all of the above.

Kind Regards,

Rob - RealAIr

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

That is a lot of work, no one has done it before to share settings on any aircraft?

All our recent aircraft can do all of the above.

what do you mean by this? NGX can slide on water for about 2 seconds and then it will start bouncing and going 200 knts. On tarmac when I try to land with no gear down its pretty much the same effect, when I start to slow down the plane bounces around in circles. 

So turn all realism, crash & damage off to practice this?

A2A's B17 does belly landing, with lots of sparks  :rolleyes:

Jean-Jacques

• Upvote 1

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

It's mostly up to the developer of each aircraft to make sure this happens properly. As Robert mentioned, it's also up to the end user to set up their realism settings appropriately. Considering how the FSX physics engine works, a mod to handle this for each aircraft without changes to said aircraft would be impossible.

Brandon Filer

It has been quite a while since the thread started but still very germane.  Here in 2017 I had the same question.  Thanks to all that question has been throughly answered.

I think also answers why feelThere's Phenom can make a successful belly landing, until it stops (call it 0-10 knots) - then it pitches forward "magical" right through the ground until a crash is triggered - I assume no scrape point at the nose.

Here in 2017, I can report that the Milviz F-86 Saber does a nice wheels up landing (with and without drop tanks attached) as does Lionheart Creations's Lear 24B

(…and now I need to take my Realir Duke and Lancair to for some belly landing fun!)

That said, I can land the F-86 just about anywhere that is fairly smooth, even on an incline.  That doesn't see to be the "universal" case.  Other aircraft seem to only do belly landings on a runway - not in a farmer's field - even when that field is flat and without obstacles.

I can think of two reasons:

1) pilot error - you seem to have to keep the aircraft very level–nose on the horizon–for a successful belly landing.  This attitude is contrary to the slightly nose high attitude normally used for landing "tricycle gear" aircraft.  Perhaps not having the visual cues of a runway to help maintain a flat attitude is the factor.

2) It just doesn't work off a runway.

I'm leaning towards #1 but if anybody knows that #2 is the issue, shout t out.   :smile: