Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecagan

Connecting Civa INS to generator power and INS question

I'm attempting to fly using the Civa INS gauge and after I started the aircraft engines, the Civa bat light came on. On the electrical panel, all generator switches are closed, and all lights off except CSD Oil. My Galley Power is on, DC Bus Isolation switches are closed, Standby Power is Normal, ESS AC Bus is Normal, DC Meters is set to TR1, AC Meters is set to GEN 1. Eventually, the INS lost power. I'm reading through the manuals and at one point it says that the CSD Oil lights should extinguish. Some of the pictures in the manuals show the red CSD switches closed. I'm confused. Should they be open or closed? Should the amber lights be on or off? Obviously I'm doing something wrong since my INS are losing power.

Second question. Prior to pushback, I placed all INS in NAV mode. I made a mistake by not putting all INS in REMOTE mode when entering in the waypoints. When I started to pushback, the INS started blinking and running through each waypoint (01, 12, 23, etc). No warning light but had the alert light. Was that because I forgot to connect each INS and have the waypoints copy over to the others?

Thanks,

Eric

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The red CSD must be closed and guarded. Do this prior to engine start. The CSD OIL light should be out. You wont have any electrical power provided by the engines otherwise.

The CIVA INS: you should place the switch from ALIGN to NAV after you have got the best accuracy index. The earliest you can move the switch is when the green ready light illuminates on the MSU (mode selector unit). You must not move the aircraft at all while the selector is in ALIGN. Best practice is to move the switch before engine start.

The blinking you experienced might be because you moved the switch to ALIGN too late, or because it was not on electrical power, but most likely because you had not told it to fly a leg. If you see that again press WY PT CHG; 0 1; INSERT.

It is possible to navigate on one unit only, so in theory you need only enter waypoints to INS1, but you will be in trouble if you get a INS1 failure !  Best practice is to enter waypoints in all  units

The INS has also got random failures built into it. They are not very frequent, but next time you see an alert light go through the procedure and check the error codes.

Good luck

If you have not got it already , I recommend a program which will convert FS9 flightplans into ADEU cards. Saves all that keyboard pressing.....do a library search on this site for Conv2ADEU

I think your whole startup procedure is wrong. The CIVA INS assumes there is permanent battery power so will start up even if you have not yet connected ground power. Switch it directly to align, then enter your position on each unit. Then click the secret fast align if needed. The blinking waypoint numbers is because you have set the INS to NAV before entering your waypoints. As said do not attempt to move the a/c until the ready lights are lit "and" you have thereafter set the units to nav.

As said the ADEU card reader is extremely useful (though perhaps not authentic except for Concorde). Nowadays there are many more waypoints to insert into a flightplan than before so manually entering them from a sim point of view is tedious. And with three crew in the cockpit each of them would normally cross reference the waypoints with each other to ensure accuracy.

Best practice is to enter waypoints in all  units

If you press remote on each unit, the waypoint will be automatically populated, so this is quite easy.

Happy flying,

Olivier