Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

Can't set the engines to 55% and an observation

Hi all,

So spent the day getting to grips with my new 777, wow amazing but I have two questions.

The first regards the inability of the engines to stabilize at 55% before advancing the power levers for a take off. I have the Autothrottle's on but advance the levers manually like in the MD11. Each time the N1 indications advance and then drop back to idle! but not together, maybe left or right then the other. This is very weird!

I noticed that each time this happens I Eicas message "Doors Auto" is showing, once or twice I noticed this message flash is if it's highlighting some issue with the doors, which are set to closed and auto in the FMC.

I use FSUIPC and disabled the "Axis Calibration" in FSUIPC option for the throttles as recommended in the PMDG introduction manual, this made no difference to the behavior of the throttles at all, but I can't delete the FSUIPC.ini file as suggested because I have a whole load of profiles saved in that file which wouldn't get re-written. 

I know there have been other comments in the forum about this issue but wanted to put my own observations down in writing too.

I also noticed on my first long range flight today that flying in the cruise with a side wind from the right of 51kts, engine 2 was running at 950 on the N1 gauge but engine 1 was dropping down to 322 at times on the N1 gauge. I was wondering if this is something that the 777 is supposed to do in a side wind like this or again something connected with the above issue?

Once again a great aircraft.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Dave

I had exactly the same things going on. These are the symptoms of the FSUIPC problem (like asymmetrical throttle settings in flight), and I only came right by deleting my FSUIPC.ini file, letting it rebuild, and then setting up the 777 throttle axis assignments ONLY in FSUIPC (no FSUIPC calibration for the throttle axes; its fine for e.g on left / right brake axes, but leave the throttle calibration in FSUIPC out, as recommended in the intro manual.)

Now its all perfect. But yes its a pain having to rebuild setups for all the other planes, so what I did was to first save my FSUIPC.ini file before deleting it. I am in the process of copying all my other PMDG plane profiles from my original ini file, into the new one that had the 777 working well, and testing to see if all stays OK. My plan is then to have a FSUIPC.ini file just for PMDG planes, and another one for all the rest (my old original ini file), that I can copy to an FSUIPC.ini file depending on what I intend to fly that session. One could make a simple .bat file to do this copying if it works. Will let you know if this pans out, as it sure will save one having to redo all those setups.

I see a rumor that Pete is releasing an new FSUIPC version this Monday, so maybe he is going to address some of these issues?

Rob

Robin Harris

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply, I'd be interested in what you find out. Funny all my other planes from PMDG work fine in FSUPC except this one! I guess there is likely to be an update or some fix either from PMDG or Peter soon.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hi Dave,

Its something that occasionally goes on with FSUIPC.ini when installing new planes / addons. I had a similar thing happen when I installed the iFly737. So its not the 777 per se that does it.

Anyhow, I can confirm that manually editing the FSUIPC.ini file, and copying the profile sections from your old FSUIPC.ini file into a new FSUIPC.ini file (the one that rebuilds, and that you first set up for just the 777), does work. So now I have all my PMDG profiles, including the 777 in one file (FSUIPCPMDG.INI), and all my others in another copy called FSUIPCOTHER.ini.

So now if I plan to fly a PMDG plane I copy FSUIPCPMDG.ini to FSUIPC.ini, If I plan to fly QW, iFly or others I will copy the FSUIPCOTHER.ini. This will also mean I always have a backup in case some other install corrupts or overwrites my active FSUIPC.ini again.

Little bit of work, but much less than having to reconfigure every plane in your hanger again, So if you are still having problems, I really suggest backing up your FSUIPC.ini file, then deleting it, and go for a clean re-build. It worked for me, and was well worth the little bit of editing I had to do after that.

Rob

Robin Harris

Hi guys

I've exactly the same behavior! I don't think that it has something to do with FSUIPC.

I see different behavior of the thrust levers depending in the A/P and A/T disconnection / disabled state. I'll investigate more later this week.

Best regards

Bruno

I'm fairly certain its got nothing to do with FSUIPC I have my throttles assigned in FSX and there is no conflicting assignment/calibration in FSUIPC and yet I still cannot set the throttles at any position without them moving instantly back to idle. The only way to stop this is if I turn the two AT switches off, then they work perfectly. I'm convinced this is because I am using two throttle sticks (Saitek Quads) one for each engine and the logic built into the 777 to keep the thrust sync'd is causing some conflict.

Andy Baker.

Cheers, Andy.

Guys

First let me state I am using Saitek Proflight yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant. As Ryan has asked the OP, that is the first question I should have asked as well.

Let me also list the steps I took in thrashing about trying to solve this problem for myself.

I have throttles set to Overide A/T only in hold or approach modes.

• Initially I setup up the throttle axes in FSUIPC, and calibrated them there ( I read the manual but the "do not do this" slipped in my haste to get flying).
  • I then had the throttles retarding every time I pushed them forward to try and taxi.
  • I then deleted (reset) the throttle axes calibrations in FSUIPC. Problem persisted
  • I removed the throttle axes assignments from FSUIPC, and assigned them in FSX
  • I could then taxi, but had strange behavior going on when it reached cruise, with wind changes, or when throttling back for descent. Throttles would set to different thrust values on the N1 gauges, and the animations would show them not synced, and twitching. Engine sounds were surging up and down (exterior / wing views). My hardware throttles were both set to the same position, as I left them when engaging TO/GA thrust (at about 75% travel).
  • I then suspected some keyboard assignment conflict, so went right through all of these In FSX and FSUIPC, as well as in the 777 Key Assignments (found a conflict there with the Z key that I assign to disconnect autopilot BTW), but I could find none that would explain this throttle behavior.
  • So finally I backed up my FSUIPC.ini file, deleted it, and reassigned the throttles in the new FSUIPC setup (minus calibration). I have toe brakes in there as well (calibrated), and a quadrant axis (reversed) for spoilers, as well as yoke buttons for A/P disconnect and setting TO/GA thrust.
  • I copied over all my PMDG profiles for the 747, MD11, JS41 and NGX from my saved original .ini file, into the new FSUIPC.ini file.
  • Now all is well with my setup - absolutely perfect, including the A/T overide on approach / in hold only.

So for me it seems like it all started with incorrect setting up in FSUIPC (trying to calibrate it there from the start). Even after removing the throttle assignments in FSUIPC, and reverting to FSX only,  probably  something was left lurking around in FSUIPC, until I deleted the .ini file.

Maybe users who do not ever attempt to use FSUIPC from the outset, only FSX assignment, have no problems. To those not using FSUIPC, but still having problems, my question would then be "Did you at any stage try assigning and calibratiing the throttles in FSUIPC". This may have corrupted your .ini file as it seems to have done in my case

Hope you all find a solution.

Rob

Robin Harris

I'm fairly certain its got nothing to do with FSUIPC I have my throttles assigned in FSX and there is no conflicting assignment/calibration in FSUIPC and yet I still cannot set the throttles at any position without them moving instantly back to idle. The only way to stop this is if I turn the two AT switches off, then they work perfectly. I'm convinced this is because I am using two throttle sticks (Saitek Quads) one for each engine and the logic built into the 777 to keep the thrust sync'd is causing some conflict.

Andy Baker.

Actually I retract my above comment, there was calibration data for the throttles, but it was actually only slope data rather than beginning/end point data. So it would seem even adding a custom slope to the throttles will cause problems.

What I did was go into FSUIPC4.ini and completely delete the joystick calibration section for the 777 profile I had, then built it back up again from within FSUIPC and left the throttle calibration sections at reset. I then calibrated the flaps and brakes and everything works fine now.

I think the problem probably stemmed from the distant past when I used to have a default set of calibrations for the general profile i.e. for aircraft which didn't have a profile assigned to it. When you create a new profile FSUIPC will ask you if you want to import that general profiles settings, you must say NO to this question. I think its that general calibration data that is imported to your 777 profile and it was that data that had the none linear throttle slope in it that PMDG obviously do not like with their aircraft throttles.

So problem solved for me and now I have this knowledge I can fix my NGX profile too, as that never worked properly either, lol.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Ryan,

Sorry I forgot to mention what type of controller I use.

I have two Saitek throttle quadrants, the one comes with the yoke and the other bought extra. The way I have my two engine jets set up is with engine 1 on lever 3 and engine 2 on lever 4, or the first lever of the second quadrant! 

I have tried setting up FSUIPC, which is set with internal calibration for the throttles as I have a portion of the movement assigned to "Reverse Thrust" as well as "Throttle" not using the button at the bottom of the quadrant. This is why I hope to sort this out without having to delete the FSUIPC calibration settings. This way gives me much better control of the reverse thrust when landing, as reverse thrust isn't just on or off this way.

The throttles work fine in TOGA and manually turning off the autothrottles, but not with them armed. 

Anyway I'm sure we will sort it soon.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.