Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Windh

NGX and Idle thrust on touchdown

Hi,

I currently made "the Step" from FS9, to FSX. (yes it took a while). I'm currently setting things up and getting ready to fly.

My main aircraft will be the NGX, with CH Yoke and Throttle Quad, FSUIPC.

After hours of tweaking, and not getting the reverse thrust to work with the "below detent" position of the throttles, I decided to assign reverse thrust to a separate lever. That works too, -when on the ground.

Obviously, the throttle must be idle in order to apply reverse thrust, however, for some reason the throttle of the NGX "creeps" up to about 42% N1, whenever I try to put it in idle before, during, and just after landing. It takes a good deal of braking before the throttles reacts normally, and REALLY goes idle, enabling reverse thrust to be applied. And by the time that occurs, the whole point of reverse thrust is gone, as would the aircraft be on a wet and short runway.

In FSUIPC, I have disabled the reverser option in my throttles page, and calibrated them to be "idle" a bit above the physical stop of the lever, just to be sure. 

But still I get this creeping throttle when airborn and landing.

Any help is much appreciated!

Regards

Johan

Hi Matt.

Been testing and this occurs, even with all my external controllers disabled, both in FSX and in FSUIPC.

I realize that roughly 34% N1 is normal for flight idle. And this is what it "creeps" up to (not 42%, which I stated earlier).

However, this way, it is impossible to engage reverse thrust until the acft has slowed down enough for the engines to allow a slower idle percentage, making the reverse possible.

(I've made a single lever on my CH-quad my reverse-lever through FSUIPC, and, as I stated in the original post, on the ground, at low speeds, this works just fine. But not just after touchdown...

I'm beginning to wonder if I miss something in my final approach configure?

use FSUIPC to send a button push of throttle cut on the reverse axis, that will sort it 

use FSUIPC to send a button push of throttle cut on the reverse axis, that will sort it 

I'll try that. Thank you kand.

In FSUIPC set your CH lever to #1 Throttle Dec, check box - Control to be repeated while held and select Throttle Cut for action after release.  This should then work your reverse thrust no matter what your N1 shows.  So you can "throw" the button after touchdown and you will get full reverse thrust as normal.

Rob

You don't get max thrust, you get max reverse thrust - approx 45%N1.

Rob

I suggest that you unassign and disable all settings relating to throttle settings in the CH Manager and FSX.  Set the TQ up in FSUIPC in the follwing manner:

Open Axis Assignment

Check box - Profile Specific

Cycle # 1 Throttle lever - you should see3 the numbers change, if not click rescan and re-cycle lever. Note only cycle lever to the detent position do not include detent position.

Select - Type of Action required

Check - Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration.

Select from menu - Throttle 1

Check box in front of throttle 1

Go to Joystick Calibration and select page 3 - Separate throttle per engine

Cycle lever

DO NOT CHECK SET

Leave as Axis not processed.

Check box - Exclude THROTTLEn_SET

Repeat for # 2 throttle.

For reverse thrust go to Buttons and Switches

Check box - Profile Specific and also Select for FS Control

Push # 1 throttle lever through detent position and you should see a Joy# and Btn # enter

Go to COntrol sent when button pressed and from the drop down menu select - Throttle 1 Decr

Enter 0 in Parameter.

Check box Control to repeat while held

Go to COntrol sent when button released and from drop down menu select Throttle 1 Cut

Enter 0 in Parameter

Repeat for # 2 reverse thrust.

Now you have the throttles and reverse thrust set.  All you have to do for other aircraft is the same process once you have opened the aircraft up.

You can also set the flaps and spoilers through FSUIPC.

Rob

• Upvote 2

Thank you sir. However I wasn't clear. I have a Logitech 3D Pro Extreme. I just have Button # 11 Assigned as F2 Reverse but with this setting I haven't been able to just put it in Idle Reverse Thrust.

I'm sorry for not being clear on my post.

Reik Namreg

Reverse thrust selection is a function of throttle lever position and WOW input, not N1 value. Can't comment on how the NGX is modelled but just wanted to put that out there. Flight idle N1 can approach 40% in certain conditions depending on such things as bleed configuration. Regards

If you are using a button on the Logitech, you can assign it this way for reverse thrust through FSUIPC.

Follow the instructions in my previous post for reverse thrust except instead of setting two reverse thrusts, you set a single button that works both reverse thrust.

So instead of setting Throttle 1 or 2 Decr and Throttle 1 or 2 Throttle Cut, you select Throttle Decr and Throttle Cut from the drop down menus.  This will allow you to activate both thrust reversers when you press and hold down button # 11 and when you are at 60-80 kts ground speeed you release the button and your throttles will come back to idle.

Hope this helps

Rob

This also works for the Saitek Yoke and throttle quadrant.You must use a REGISTERED Copy of FSUIPC. Thanks Mounty for the instructions works great.

I suggest that you unassign and disable all settings relating to throttle settings in the CH Manager and FSX.  Set the TQ up in FSUIPC in the follwing manner:

Open Axis Assignment

Check box - Profile Specific

Cycle # 1 Throttle lever - you should see3 the numbers change, if not click rescan and re-cycle lever. Note only cycle lever to the detent position do not include detent position.

Select - Type of Action required

Check - Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration.

Select from menu - Throttle 1

Check box in front of throttle 1

Go to Joystick Calibration and select page 3 - Separate throttle per engine

Cycle lever

DO NOT CHECK SET

Leave as Axis not processed.

Check box - Exclude THROTTLEn_SET

Repeat for # 2 throttle.

For reverse thrust go to Buttons and Switches

Check box - Profile Specific and also Select for FS Control

Push # 1 throttle lever through detent position and you should see a Joy# and Btn # enter

Go to COntrol sent when button pressed and from the drop down menu select - Throttle 1 Decr

Enter 0 in Parameter.

Check box Control to repeat while held

Go to COntrol sent when button released and from drop down menu select Throttle 1 Cut

Enter 0 in Parameter

Repeat for # 2 reverse thrust.

Now you have the throttles and reverse thrust set.  All you have to do for other aircraft is the same process once you have opened the aircraft up.

You can also set the flaps and spoilers through FSUIPC.

Rob

AFAIK, the high creeping idle you have is the approach idle. There is a bit of a problem with FSX in that it will not allow reverse until actual ground idle is achieved. which will still take a moment after touchdown.

AFAIK, the high creeping idle you have is the approach idle. There is a bit of a problem with FSX in that it will not allow reverse until actual ground idle is achieved. which will still take a moment after touchdown.

FSX knows nothing of approach and ground idle. All it cares about is thrust lever position being in the reverse range and aircraft being on ground. The problems some people see with reverse deployment relate to how they set up their hardware throttles using FSUIPC. This can conflict with the way PMDG appear to have adjusted thrust lever position at idle to simulate approach idle.

I don't use any such calibration and have no trouble selecting reverse immediately after touch down using F2. I don't have to wait for approach idle to switch to ground idle. The problem seems to arise when you use a hardware input for reverse thrust lever position rather than FSX keys.

• Upvote 2

ki9cAAb.jpg