Sign in to follow this  
Osirith

Air France 777-200 (PMDG) : Paris LFPG -> Vancouver CYVR

Hi all,

this is my first long range flight with the new PMDG 777, after practicing the tutorial flight and a few short range training flights.

I did choose a Paris Charles-de-Gaulle (LFPG) to Vancouver International (CYVR) direct flight with Air France. This is a fictitious flight, Air France network does not serve Vancouver (the sister compagny, KLM, do it with 777-200ER from Amsterdam however).

Planning

The flight has been planned with PFPX. Here is the overall flight path shown under PFPX. 

1-prep-LFPG-CYVR-00.jpg

Flight path will overfly England, touch the south coast of Iceland, cross southern part of Greenland then enter Canada North of Hudson Bay before reaching Pacific Coast and Vancouver.

Weather should be good to average most of the time, some scattered cloud coverage on take-off and landing (AS2012), and mild overcast enroute, mostly on the middle part of the flight (above Greenland).

As I am quite new both to PFPX and PMDG 777, I barely touched the ETOPS planning part. I will not set any failure probability for this first try so I know I will not need to land on an alternate airport.

Parking at Roissy Charles-de-Gaulle (LFPG) : 7:55 AM local time.

1-prep-LFPG-CYVR-01.jpg

The plane is parked at Aerogare 2 (Terminal 2D) nearby other Air France planes. Setting is Cold & Dark, low sunlight is touching the planes coming from the horizon.

Time to power up the bird. Following standard start-up sequence, the doors are also opened to allow catering crew to replenish food, drinks and other stuff to be spent during the cruise (GSX).

30 minutes are well spent to power up all the systems, enter the flight plan and plane parameters for the flight, while the cabin crew manages the passengers boarding.

Fuel loading is 68,223 Kgs, 220 passengers are aboard as well as 10,000 Kgs of cargo. TOW will be 254,789 Kgs. Flight duration should be roughly 09h26 (depending on traffic at start and arrival, ATC guidance and possible weather change). Cruise FL will be initially FL360, with two subsequent step climbs to FL380 and FL400.

08h22. Time to start the push-back procedure and to start engines. Clearance has been given by the ground control (Radar Contact v4). Take-off runway will be the 26R, and given the large size of LFPG perimeter, this will take some time to reach it. No time to lose. All doors are armed and the ground crew start the push back sequence.

1-prep-LFPG-CYVR-03.jpg

Ground traffic is quite heavy at Charles-de-Gaulle and more than average at this time of the day. 

Taxiing

The Triple Seven is slowly pushed on the taxiway. On the rear of the plane can be seen the main offices of Air France , among several hotels.

1-prep-LFPG-CYVR-04.jpg

While push-back continue, both engines are started and the push-back crew and vehicle return to park area after removing the safety pins. Ground control gives clearance to start the taxi trip towards 26R. We are crossing a large pack of EasyJet (low cost) A320 as we leave the Terminal 2D area.

We then turn around the Terminal 2 and pass by the whole length of it towards 26R.

Preparation check-lists are done during the taxi phase and we reach the runway perimeter after 10 minutes and some ground traffic. Take-off will use derated parameters (weather and runway length allow it). We have some time to watch landing and departing traffic using both south runways near our plane (here an A319 landing on 26L, while two aircrafts are in front of us preparing for take-off on 26R.

1-prep-LFPG-CYVR-06.jpg

(Next steps will be posted very soon).

Post 2 : Take-off

Post 3 : Climb

Post 4 : Cruise

Post 5 : Descent

Post 6 : Approach

Post 7 : Landing

Post 8 : Vancouver

Happy reading ! I hope you enjoy the travel.

Chris

Tower gives clearance to enter and hold at start of 26R. Last check list is done and we line up on the runway. 

2-takeoff-LFPG-CYVR-07.jpg

Note a Caution light I have been unable to erase for the whole duration of the flight (maybe my lack of knowledge of something, not sure, as there is no warning messages on the screens).

The beginning of the flight route can be seen on the map display, using OPA2BE SID towards OPALE, with a sharp right turn after take-off.

We then get the take-off approval from tower, push the levers and arm the auto-throttles. The Triple Seven quickly reach the V1/VR speed (amazing power even with quite heavy TOW) and after rotation the main landing gear leaves the ground for a planned flight of nine hours and 30 minutes...

2-takeoff-LFPG-CYVR-08.jpg

Note another Air France flight (A319) that just landed on parallel runway 26L. We gain altitude quite fast abd soon have a good view of the Terminal 2 area of the airport. We can notice that our parking gate is already taken by another flight (above the right wing, bottom terminal is 2B and just above is 2D where we entered the aircraft 40 mns ago).

2-takeoff-LFPG-CYVR-09.jpg

Post 3 : Climb

Great set of pix to accompany the log. I was lucky to have flown on an AF 777-200ER from CDG to Mumbai couple of years ago.

I liked the shot of your PFPX. I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get it to display the routing as you have managed to do so.

Great set of pix to accompany the log. I was lucky to have flown on an AF 777-200ER from CDG to Mumbai couple of years ago.

I liked the shot of your PFPX. I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get it to display the routing as you have managed to do so.

Hello Rick,

thanks for your comment. Never flown in a 777 myself (many other Boeing and Airbus).

About PFPX display ; curious, this is a quite standard display of the flight plan, not sure what you are doing incorrectly.

After a few minutes, we reach the first turning waypoint of the flight plan and we start a right turn towards OPALE.

3-climb-LFPG-CYVR-10.jpg

The sun reflects on the Seine river and people accustomed to French geography will be able to spot Le Bourget airport under the aircraft (LFPG being further away below right wing near middle of screen), and Paris on the right part of the pic. The weather is quite good with just some scattered clouds.

Area traffic control allows us to climb quite quickly and we soon cross FL200 and upwards. 
In this area between Paris and London the air traffic is very dense and we spot a lot of nearby flights both on TCAS and visually.

3-climb-LFPG-CYVR-11.jpg

This looks like a very nice trip so far !

Chris

Super!! Merci :)

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

4-crz-LFPG-CYVR-12.jpg

Uneventfull first part of the flight, we cross the largest part of England, overflying Heathrow airport and center of London. After leaving northern england shores, clouds are becoming more numerous below us, and so it is difficult to spot Iceland shores just below the right wing.

4-crz-LFPG-CYVR-13.jpg

Crossing the huge and icy land mass of Greenland takes some time as we also try to hear the distorted radio messages from long distance calls of ATC. Some snowy peaks emerge from the cloud layer.

4-crz-LFPG-CYVR-14.jpg

Almost 5 hours after take-off we reach the northernmost shores of Canada (Baffin island), then we fly above the northwestern passages and near the north edge of Hudson Bay. Landscape view is fantastic albeit very bare and wild.

4-crz-LFPG-CYVR-15.jpg

Still 40 minutes to go before reaching Vancouver. 

5-des-LFPG-CYVR-16.jpg

ATC gives clearance to start the descent phase, so after checklist and approach briefing, we lower the altitude value on the MCP and start the descent.

5-des-LFPG-CYVR-17.jpg

We fly over one of the numerous lakes on this part of Western Canada. Air traffic and radio calls becomes more heavy now as we reach more civilized areas.

5-des-LFPG-CYVR-18.jpg

The descent part is done without any interesting event and we are now near Vancouver area. Approach phase is near and we wait for the local ATC message to enter the arrival runway and choose a STAR or a vectored approach. 

5-des-LFPG-CYVR-19.jpg

Vancouver could be seen behind the plane.

We have contact with CYVR approach and we will be vectored towards runway 26R (funny, same exact runway heading as the one we departed from at Paris Charles de Gaulle)

Runway, flaps setting and ILS are entered on the CDU. Encountered a bug (I think) with an error message on the screen about incorrect rwy/ils frequency. Found the solution on PMDG forum (thanks to Pause function during the flight) : need to erase the frequency M line on the CDU RAD/NAV page and all went well afterwards.

6-appr-LFPG-CYVR-20.jpg

Starting turn towards the runway under guidance of ATC. First levels of flaps are already down and speed is rapidly decreasing.

Now on the ILS glide, speed is low enough to lower the landing gear as we pass nearby a golf course in a residential suburb (FTX Global).

6-appr-LFPG-CYVR-21.jpg

Our plane is now ready for landing, approaching minimums with full flaps. I will do a manual landing, so I disconnect auto-pilot while leaving auto-throttle enabled.

Mount Baker can be seen behind the plane.

7-land-LFPG-CYVR-22.jpg

The tail view below allow us to see Richmond suburbs below the plane, the northern arm of Frazer river above the right wing, and Vancouver Intl airport and 26R directly in front.

Nice view on the bay behind.

7-land-LFPG-CYVR-23.jpg

View from the cockpit on short final. doing a last correction to the path towards the runway. Altitude is a bit higher than optimal glide path but nothing serious.

7-land-LFPG-CYVR-24.jpg

7-land-LFPG-CYVR-25.jpg

Almost there... Passengers can spot the different airport areas, parking lots, and the traffic of other aircraft on parking and taxiways. The cockpit crew is still busy landing the plane but with a near perfect attitude and glide slope and low (9 knots) frontal wind, this is quite easy.

7-land-LFPG-CYVR-26.jpg

Touchdown ! After 9 hours and 31 minutes, we land at Vancouver International airport. 

7-land-LFPG-CYVR-27.jpg

Spoilers and brakes are used automatically and pilot commands the reversers, as seen from the cabin.

7-land-LFPG-CYVR-28.jpg

Ground control asks us to park at a Terminal A gate on the other side of the airport. Being not very familiar with the area, we ask for a Follow Me car.

8-Vancouver-LFPG-CYVR-29.jpg

After some minutes of taxi around the aiport, we eventually reach Terminal A and our parking gate. Ground crew and vehicles are ready to take care of the plane.

8-Vancouver-LFPG-CYVR-30.jpg

After last turn, we slowly get close to the parking signal, trying both to not overrun the stop line and to be as much aligned as possible.

8-Vancouver-LFPG-CYVR-31.jpg

5:17 PM French time, 8:17 AM Vancouver time. Cabin crew is managing the exit of passengers towards the arrival area of the airport. Passengers will be a bit tired today, they arrived more or less at the same time they departed France (-9 hours shift between time zones) !

8-Vancouver-LFPG-CYVR-32.jpg

While the pilot and FO are busy shutting down the main systems, catering ground crew handle the cargo and passengers luggage.

8-Vancouver-LFPG-CYVR-33.jpg

This concludes our Paris - Vancouver flight. I hope you enjoyed the ride on Air France (PMDG)777-200 and will be happy to welcome you on a next travel B)

Chris

Awesome shots !

How many fps do you have at paris CDG with the 777 ? thanks

Those are some stellar shots! Very well done!

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks for your comments  ^_^

Talek, FPS vary a lot depending on several factors, of course. I am using a quite high screen definition (2560x1440) with mostly hign end settings for FSX, and Paris CDG is not very framerate-friendly (compared to some other large airports). But i also use Ulitmate Traffic 2 with 50% traffic load, and it means a lot of planes in or around CDG. You can see the FPS counter on most of the pics (large yellow number on top right corner). Near LFPG, numbers are ranging from 26 to 10 FPS (10 inside cockpit at entry of runway, looking towards the busy airport area). Most of the time, I have between 15 to 25 FPS around CDG... 

Hello 

Those are very nice pictures. But only one problem.... you parked in the domestic terminal (westjet area) lol.

You could be right. I am not familiar with this airport and the definition of différent gates is not given in my FSDreamteam CYVR manual... When I activated GSX after landing and chose a gate, I did it at random  :blush: