Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

best/worst sims and addons-poll

Hi,If you're like me, you have many dust covered jewel cases next to your pc. You bought them compulsively- when they came out as flightsimming related addons, you simply had to have them! And you tried to hide the credit card bill, so your girlfriendspouse wouldn't see how much you spend each month on fsimming software.So here's my list of the best and worst of'em. Mmm, could I have a refund for some of them?Best:1. Wilco's PIC B767. My neighbour, a commercial pilot, saw the manuals and said- hide these, because if the police see them, they'll arrest you for planning a terrorist attack with a 767. That's realism!2.Proflight 2000. No more generic American accents when flying over Japan. At last, multi-accented ATC that follows the procedures. I found an online article that explains how to use it with FS2002, and 2004!3.FS Avionics Garmin GPS series. I bought it for 34$, and two weeks later the company folded and it became freeware, damn my timing. Once again, my pilot friend was amazed at the total realism of the 530 GPS. I always use it when flying, even with the heavy jets.4. The VFR Photorealistic scenery for the U.K. Flying my Cessna over London, I spotted my old house and high school! Can't beat that for realistic scenery.5. Ultimate Traffic. At last no more dead airports. AI planes even at the most remote airports.Worst:1. FS Clouds. 30$ for some white fluff! @#!$&*2.Flight Director 99. Couldn't figure it out. Didn't get one flightplan out of it.Then there are those sims that didn't survive the upgrade!1. Janes USAF, FU3 and B-17, the just wouldn't work on windows 2000!So what's your list?EytanTJSJ

I have to totally disagree with you on putting Flight Unlimited III (FU3) under the "Worst" catergory... it is possibly the best flight sims of its time (and a few years after it in MSFS' case :-lol )Jay :-wave

I agree; and its' following is not only loyal, but hard-working as well. Just check out the FU forum on this site...Rick

Hi,This one was easy...BEST: 1. Stellan Hilmerby

Staffan

Jay,I think I didn't make myself clear enough. FU3 is not under the worst, it's just that it would refuse to work properly under win2000. The only thing that did work were the tutorials and lessons. I just love these, as I think they're just the best training section I've seen in any sim.Overall I had a lot of fun with FU3 with win 98!I know I'm going to get a lot of flak from FU3 fans, so let's set the record straight- FU3 is not in the 'worst' class...Eytan

SSW A310??? How come I missed that one!!BTW, I got the PSS Airbus series. It's just too good for the likes of me. Great sim, but you gotta be a programmer first to prepare the FMC for flying.Eytan

Flight Unlimited 3 works perfectly with Windows XP.....and is the best flight simulator ever developed (in my opinion). The least impressive would most definitely have to be FS5. This had the worst graphics that I have ever seen in a flight simulation product. They were about as photorealistic as Microsoft Excel, and INFERIOR to the clear, uncluttered, non-textured graphics in FS4.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest The Ancient Brit

My list of best and worse will probably surprise you.Best.EFIS 98. The flying part of this program is only compatible up to FS2000, but I use the flight planning program that came with it for my FS2K4 flight plans. It allows me to create custom waypoints which I can place on a circle. By using circles of differing diameters I can create curved flight tracks. It shows and numbers each of the waypoints I have created and allows me to select those I need for the flight plan.Worst.Both payware versions of the Airbus, one is the 320 Professional and the other the 320 Pilot in Command (I think those are the names). Both are fine examples of payware products. Both are fully detailed aircraft with all the bells and whistles you can imagine then some more. Both installed faultlessly and I would recommend them as value for money to any serious flight simmer. So why do I say they were the worst packages I bought.It is to do with the way I fly. I have always been a keyboard and mouse pilot. I have bought all the best joysticks and given them away, I really don

Very well said, Denis. The important point to note here is that it is important to provide OPTIONS. Forcing someone to use a product in a way that they don't like will only alienate a percentage of customers.....and that's bad for business.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>Flight Unlimited 3 works perfectly with Windows XP.....>So how come it does so poorly with windows 2000?Is that because win XP is technologically backwards compares to win 2000?Eytan

Eytan,I know someone who runs FU3 under Windows 2000. He is called Ansgar Avermeyer, and he can be found on the FU3 Forum. Maybe you should ask him....Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glnflwrs

I must admit that the only add-on I've ever purchased was Flight Shop/Aircraft Factory back when FS95 was new. I only bought it because a lot of the third party planes required it. I use FS2000 Pro still. I don't use the FSUIPC.DLL or any of the flight planners/moving map add-ons. I do like the ACS-GPS and I DO use quite a few third party aircraft and a few panels. Most of the panel files are huge and don't offer that much over the defaults, IMHO.Glenn

Guest JDH

Hi,Where can you get the Garmin GPS from if it is freeware?

Guest JDH

Must agree with no. 2 in your Worst list. I am amazed that anyone buys anything from Perfect Flight. The screenshots of their 717 just made me laugh!

Search for Garmin 530 in the Avsim library, and you'll get it- version 2.0.Enjoy it. You'll never fly without it after...Eytan