Sign in to follow this  
bearcaat12

Question about real pilots

I've been looking around the internet but have yet to find a solid answer I'm looking for. I'm curious what a typical 777 or any international pilot's flight trip would look like. I like to try best to simulate flying real life. 

How many flights do they fly per trip? etc.

Thanks very much!

KIAD-VTBS, layover about 20-25 hours, then VTBS-KIAD and done. Repeat 3 more times in given month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I can only speak about my old man, on the 777 my mother hardly gets to see him!, he gets a lot of days off down route so it means he's not home much, and when he's on standby he almost always gets called out. Same deal when he was flying the A340.

It varies as to how many sectors he would do per trip, I know when he fly's to brazil from Doha he does a short inter brazil hop. And when he fly's the freighter I am pretty sure he does a lot of sectors on a ten day block. I haven't really talked to him much about the details of each block since he moved to 777, all I know is when I call he is rarely home.

So if you want to simulate real life long haul flying, don't sleep much, drink loads of coffee, sleep in a small bunk whilst having the PMDG engines turned up loud next to your bed, and try shooting a visual approach somewhere at 7am with the sun shining in your eyes :)

Regards

Rob Prest

So if you want to simulate real life long haul flying, don't sleep much, drink loads of coffee, sleep in a small bunk whilst having the PMDG engines turned up loud next to your bed, and try shooting a visual approach somewhere at 7am with the sun shining in your eyes :)

Regards

And still it's the best job in the world! 

And still it's the best job in the world!

Most definitely, he wouldn't change it for anything, and we wouldn't want him to :)

Rob Prest

Back in my Emirates day (I'm sure that route is still online), we had some really long ones. I really enjoyed the DXB-SYD-CHC. Departing from Dubai, we first had a 48 hour layover in Sydney before we flew to Christchurch for a 24 hour layover. After that, we had a second 24 hour layover in Sydney to then fly back to Dubai. I'd fly that in the sim as it'd bring awesome memories, but that DXB-SYD leg is just too long.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

How enjoyable the trip is can depend on how well you click with the other crew members outside the flight deck too. 

How enjoyable the trip is can depend on how well you click with the other crew members outside the flight deck too. 

From experience, crew make or brake your flight / trip. Bad crew normally means bad day. It's like any other job in that regard really...

From experience, crew make or brake your flight / trip. Bad crew normally means bad day. It's like any other job in that regard really...

Reminds me of a true story a F/O told me a few years back, it was a 3 man long haul crew on a 5 day block, none of them had flown together, in cruise the other F/O tried to put his feet up on the glareshield, the captain went ballistic (understandably) to say the rest of the trip was uncomfortable is an understatement.

Rob Prest

I would also advise to check out the Air Canada 777LR DVD from Just Planes. I learned a lot from these dvd's and they take you through the whole flight.(Start to Finish).

Its worth the investment if you learn certain things and apply it to the PMDG 777.

(I apologize in advance if I wasn't supposed to mention other aviation products)

Cheers,

Sante Sottile

Back in my Emirates day (I'm sure that route is still online), we had some really long ones. I really enjoyed the DXB-SYD-CHC. Departing from Dubai, we first had a 48 hour layover in Sydney before we flew to Christchurch for a 24 hour layover. After that, we had a second 24 hour layover in Sydney to then fly back to Dubai. I'd fly that in the sim as it'd bring awesome memories, but that DXB-SYD leg is just too long.

Yes i have actually flown as a passenger on this flight, airbus A340 from memory ,very long flight 15 hrs approx. OMDB to YSSY.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram