FS737Pilot

777 freezing

WIN7=yes

FSX is in C drive

UAC OFF

Win7=yes=good

UAC Off=good

:-)

If "FSX is in C"means on the root of C=good (which I assume you mean)

If FSX is in program folders on C=not so good

In that case all is fine and giving FSX additional admin rights should not have changed anything as far as I know.

Rob Robson

Ooooops, just when you think everything is running smooth, guess what?!

FSX freezes and CTDs since changing (ATC)voice to be routed to my TV instead of through my normal speakers (BOSE USB PC speakers).

(I did that in the FSX interface under settings/sound)

What that changes is that normally my NVIDIA HIGH DEFINTION AUDIO driver is not used, but now, with the TV having to produce sound , this driver IS used!

Had 3 freezes within 10min after T.O.

ATC was turned off. (the point of this info follows in a sec, stby)

PC was overclocked at that point, I admit.

So I unclocked my BIOS.

Did the same flight and all was ok.

For more than 10min, untill I decided to reland, and get the ATIS info.

As soon as I activated the ATIS frequency, all sound through my BOSE speakers got muted and FSX frooze. (ATIS via the TV remained loud and clear!)

I deactivated ATIS quickly and FSX recovered!

I did this a few times...each time with the same result.

(I am pretty sure that if I would not deactivate ATIS quickly, that FSX would CTD, but I do not like CDTs so I avoided that)

I went into the FSX menu (in flight)/sound and changed voice to go through the BOSE speakers again and problem solved.

Tried ATIS like 5 times with no problem.

Went into FSX menu again and changed voice to go through the TV (on NVIDIA) again and.....yep freezes with ATC again.

So....I realize 10 tests or so is not that much, and I will try some more.....but it seems pretty clear to me.

I have a problem with my NVIDIA sound driver!

BOSE has its own driver under windows. It is connected via USB and has hardware in the Base box that decodes the USB info into sound.

No Nvidia sound driver in use = No problem.

Additional info that may or may not have anything to do with this:

I have an ASUS Max Formula MB and it has an AZALIA HD AUDIO CONTROLLER according to my manual.

Now I have this thing DISABLED in the BIOS, because I figured I do not need it with my BOSE speakers and less drivers in my install means less problems. The BOSE USB speakers work just fine with the AZALIA controller disabled (music/movies/etc all fine).

Even the TV connected via HDMI to the NVIDIA HD AUDIO CONTROLLER (I guess that is an audio chip on the GPU?) works fine without my MB audio controller.

So, now the question is.....might there be an Nvidia GPU driver with a better (for FSX) Audio driver?

And to all those with freezes and CTDs.....maybe try with sound disabled, no sound device connected, etc?

Rob Robson

I've had the screen freeze several times. The simulator and the sound continue to play but the screen is just frozen. If I ctrl alt del and bring up task manager FSX doesn't appear to be crashed. If I alt tab back and forth a few times or do alt enter to put FSX in window mode I get the graphics back.

To me it almost appears to be a TDR error ( driver stopped responding then automatically reloads without crashing the program). I haven't seen a TDR for a couple of years but nowadays instead of throwing an error and requiring you to click ok , Windows just reloads the driver while the screen is frozen then picks up where it left off. Everyone here seems to have different hardware and software configs.

I've had the screen freeze several times. The simulator and the sound continue to play but the screen is just frozen. If I ctrl alt del and bring up task manager FSX doesn't appear to be crashed. If I alt tab back and forth a few times or do alt enter to put FSX in window mode I get the graphics back.

Same as above for NG and T7 except my Task Manager says FSX "not responding"

Note: Have never overclocked my PC or Video Card.

I deleted my Realtek driver and the overall situation got a little bit better, I did KJFK - LOWW in realtime yesterday and only had a small freeze of 2 minutes at climb and 2 freezes with 9 minutes each while cruising over the atlantic.

I deleted my Realtek driver and the overall situation got a little bit better, I did KJFK - LOWW in realtime yesterday and only had a small freeze of 2 minutes at climb and 2 freezes with 9 minutes each while cruising over the atlantic.

I would really like to know what happens if you disconnect you speaker physically (unplug) and do a flight like that again.

Rob Robson

I would really like to know what happens if you disconnect you speaker physically (unplug) and do a flight like that again.

Hmm, not sure if this would change anything.

Hmm, not sure if this would change anything.

Me neither, but since it seems my freezes seem so sound related it would be good to know if those of others are as well.

You already confirmed that Realtec was a cause...dont you want to know if Nvidia or whatever driver is now goving you your audio is a problem source as well?

I dont know what you are using now for sound?

Nvidia Sound from the GPU?

or has a windows driver replaced your realtec driver and is that providing speakers from your MB sound chip to your speakers?

If figured if you disconnect the speakers none of those drivers are used I think (I might be wrong). You cold also try to turn off FSX sound completely in the FSX MENU or I think with the Q key during flight.

Anyway these two optiond just seems easier to try as the next thing I was going to suggest.

Which is going into the BIOS and disable any on board (motherboard) audio controllers and sound cards.

When you start your PC, Windows will not see your audio hardware then and will not load these drivers (mine does not anyway).

The only driver that remains there when I shut audio of and disconnect my BOSE speakers is that Nvidia Audio Controller on the GPU.

I am not sure how to get rid of that?

Not sure what happens if I deinstal the Nvidia Audio controller.

It is either gone then, or windows will just install new hardware. I will let you know.

By the way do you have an Nvidia GPU like me?

Rob Robson

In my case, the Realtek-Drivers were just installed, my system didn't use them because I'm using a Soundblaster.

I'm not quite sure if I deactivated my onboard-Soundcard, but will check that as I come home.

I use an ASUS GTX 670-DCT2, but I'm not using the sounddriver.

I even let Simconnect log the activities, but couldn't find any errors or missing dlls.

I sure can check a flight with muted sound, could run it overnight, after freezes, the time in the 777 always differs from systemtime.

In post 171 you said your realtec drivers were deleted and things were better.

So you re-installed them?

Is the realtec driver there for the Soundblaster or for your onboard audio?

GTX sounddriver not used, ok same as here at the moment.

Overnight test sounds good.

Rob Robson

The 777 freezing drove me crazy as well. here is the fix:

1. Navigate in Windows to C:\Users\Yourusername\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

2. Find the file logbook.bin

3. rename to logbook.bin file to logbook.old

4. Restart FSX and FSX will now create a new logbook.bin file and no more freezing.

Works perfectly

• Upvote 1

1. Navigate in Windows to C:\Users\Yourusername\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

4. Restart FSX and FSX will now create a new logbook.bin file and no more freezing.

Works perfectly

Thx, might need that.

Just CTDed again after 10min in flight.

Unbelievable...a FSX dedicated and carefully optimized PC and here I am!

I will go back to my backup image and see what that does.

(all I did since the last image was install AEROSOFT NICE and CORFU. Cant imagine that gives me CTDs over KIAD but we shall see.)

If that does not help I will be trying all those things I allways suggest to everybody else.

Rob Robson

Works perfectly

Will try that as well, thanks mate.

In post 171 you said your realtec drivers were deleted and things were better.

So you re-installed them?

Is the realtec driver there for the Soundblaster or for your onboard audio?

GTX sounddriver not used, ok same as here at the moment.

Overnight test sounds good.

The Realzek-Drivers were installed for my onboard Card, but Never used. I will check now of my onboard card is deactivated or not, then I'll try the logbook-fix posted above. Then I'll let my 777 do KBFI - LOWW over night to check if there are improvements. Will report to you in about 12-14 hours. If that don't work, I'll try a muted flight.