Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

777 freezing

I agree Pawel, your hardware is not the problem.  Stutters are momentary, less than 1 sec, and freezes usually last 5 - 10 min; neither of which match your description.  I've not seen a hesitation of 5 sec reported since the early days of MSFS and slow hard drives; certainly not indicated here.  The fact that it's limited to PMDG might be a clue, but I'm not sure how to use the clue.

Try the suggestion provided in the Introduction pg 103, if changing the sound load changes the symptoms then that points in the direction of your sound device.  The solution might be as easy as updating sound driver.

Otherwise, I recommend submitting a trouble ticket at PMDG Product Support. They will be able to solve the problem if it is PMDG related.

Dan Downs KCRP

It may have nothing to do with it, but in another thread we were just talking about affinity mask and hyperthreading...

I rarely see stutters or freezes with my 4.4GHz overclocked i7 3770k.

I do not use affinitymask in the FSX.cfg.

But I also have hyperthreading off in the Bios.....maybe you can try that.

Rob Robson

It may have nothing to do with it, but in another thread we were just talking about affinity mask and hyperthreading...

I rarely see stutters or freezes with my 4.4GHz overclocked i7 3770k.

I do not use affinitymask in the FSX.cfg.

But I also have hyperthreading off in the Bios.....maybe you can try that.

I removed affinity mask and so far so good actually.

HT is on for now.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Well there goes the 777 to the thrash bin. 

FSX froze for good (no response for 25mins) on a trans atlantic flight 7th hour in.

Expensive menu spinner plane.

Not happy at all.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I would still try with Hyperthreading off.....it is a quick and easy test.

After that you should contact PMDG support directly.

Just because you cant solve it on your own (or with our help) does not mean that the guys who actually programmed the software cant help you.

Giving up before even having tried that makes no sense.

FSX has allways had it problems and requires time to tune and setup.....which can change after a newaddon is installed......very time consuming.....which is why it more a hobby then a game.

In the past I did have some problems with freezes as well.

Not anymore though and that could be because of the updates PMDG has made or because I reinstalled Win7 and FSX a while ago.

What I found is that the more load core 0 has....the more often I had freezes.

Everything I did to unload core 0 helped:

-less AI traffic(cars is a nono)

-less autogen

-less whatever you can think of

-instead of using afinity mask, try to prevent addon utilities from running on core 0

(less stuff puts a load on core 0, the more of core 0 remains available for FSX)

for example, to prevent ASN from running on core 0:

Run FSX and ASN

hit CTRL+ALT+Del

find ASN in the application list

right mouse click on ASN and choose "set affinity"

unclick core 0

done....for this session.....each time to you restart ASN, you will have to redo this.

(I know that is irritating, but just try if it helps....at least you then know in what direction you have to look to prevent the freezes. Like reducing settings in that utility might help enough so that it can then stay on core 0)

Rob Robson

I would still try with Hyperthreading off.....it is a quick and easy test.

After that you should contact PMDG support directly.

Just because you cant solve it on your own (or with our help) does not mean that the guys who actually programmed the software cant help you.

Giving up before even having tried that makes no sense.

FSX has allways had it problems and requires time to tune and setup.....which can change after a newaddon is installed......very time consuming.....which is why it more a hobby then a game.

In the past I did have some problems with freezes as well.

Not anymore though and that could be because of the updates PMDG has made or because I reinstalled Win7 and FSX a while ago.

What I found is that the more load core 0 has....the more often I had freezes.

Everything I did to unload core 0 helped:

-less AI traffic(cars is a nono)

-less autogen

-less whatever you can think of

-instead of using afinity mask, try to prevent addon utilities from running on core 0

(less stuff puts a load on core 0, the more of core 0 remains available for FSX)

for example, to prevent ASN from running on core 0:

Run FSX and ASN

hit CTRL+ALT+Del

find ASN in the application list

right mouse click on ASN and choose "set affinity"

unclick core 0

done....for this session.....each time to you restart ASN, you will have to redo this.

(I know that is irritating, but just try if it helps....at least you then know in what direction you have to look to prevent the freezes. Like reducing settings in that utility might help enough so that it can then stay on core 0)

I tried disabling HT and my CPU temps went up +/-6 degrees celcius while maxing out one of the cores and slowing down texture loading (SPOT to VC and vice versa) leaving black textures to stay much longer on screen.

So what I did is manually set affinity by your method only disbaling Core 0 in FSX while in CFG leaving it at 84.

Now my temps are back to mid 60s BUT 7th core (which apparently got taken over by FSX) uses no more than 75% of load.

Right now FSX started to run much smoother especially during SPOT/VC camera changes.

No microstutters, black textures or freezes at this point but I'll let it run for a while again so we will see.

-------------------------------

Too early again haha.

Around 3 hours or so it starts.

Only way to fix is to restart FSX.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Just one more thing to add. Many people state audio as possible issue.

I managed to remove the 777 audio (changed bitrate in my audiocard which turned all sounds off) and then only turned FSX sounds on.

I still experience stuttering on approach (super rarely in flight) although this might be a scenery issue.

I also have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 audiocard and stuttering in flight also happens (similar way as my realtek on board audio).

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png