Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

777 freezing

My DX9 was running with Poolsize=0 and have run it with a reject threshold(please note that number isn't fixed and varies depending on card)

You are simply missing the whole point, and afraid that what you are accusing others of, are doing the same and not reading the full post.

"MY" DX10 performs better than any configuration of DX9, with usepools in or out. But the Key part to the message was, not just graphic performance with regards to how it looks, or how many FPS, or how smooth or stutter free. But the simple fact that I can fly the 777 around the world day after day, into the most complex sceneries(with no need to disable the ones im not flying into), online, with real weather, on a triple screen setup, never turning my computer off, never restarting FSX - and it never once, not a single time, freezes, OOMs, CTD or any of the other things that will eventually happen on DX9......So that statement alone is that DX10 performs better than DX9.

Quite simply - using the DX10 Fixer as enabled me to now have trouble free FSX and not spend my time messing about having to worry about what I got switched on or off, in case it gives me an OOM error, I just fly - and enjoy flying with lovely cockpit shadows. The only thing I cant get to work is SweetFX - it works but after a time that will crash the sim.

Oh - and to see a picture of Shadows in PMDG - just read the DX10 Fixer manual! the screenshot is the NGX!

My DX9 was running with Poolsize=0 and have run it with a reject threshold(please note that number isn't fixed and varies depending on card)

You are simply missing the whole point, and afraid that what you are accusing others of, are doing the same and not reading the full post.

"MY" DX10 performs better than any configuration of DX9, with usepools in or out. But the Key part to the message was, not just graphic performance with regards to how it looks, or how many FPS, or how smooth or stutter free. But the simple fact that I can fly the 777 around the world day after day, into the most complex sceneries(with no need to disable the ones im not flying into), online, with real weather, on a triple screen setup, never turning my computer off, never restarting FSX - and it never once, not a single time, freezes, OOMs, CTD or any of the other things that will eventually happen on DX9......So that statement alone is that DX10 performs better than DX9.

Quite simply - using the DX10 Fixer as enabled me to now have trouble free FSX and not spend my time messing about having to worry about what I got switched on or off, in case it gives me an OOM error, I just fly - and enjoy flying with lovely cockpit shadows. The only thing I cant get to work is SweetFX - it works but after a time that will crash the sim.

Oh - and to see a picture of Shadows in PMDG - just read the DX10 Fixer manual! the screenshot is the NGX!

I was an FS2004 user for the longest time.

I only switched to FSX ooh I dont know....3 years ago?!

Back then I read through the DX10 Forum (all 20+ pages back then, I am sure there are more now!)

They were still fixing things back then and for me, new to FSX, I did not want to have one more potential cause for problems that I would have to troubleshoot.

So I stayed with DX9

I am not against DX10.

But to troubleshoot FSX in DX9 is already difficult enough.

I had my first "FSX is unresponsive" message EVER in mid flight with subsequent closure of FSX 2 days ago.

Not sure if it will happen again, we shall see.

This might be caused by Mytraffic 2013 according others (not sure yet).

Imagine this happening right after I switch to DX10!!

Gone it would be!

The reason I have very little problems is because I have a carefully setup and tuned System.

So do you, I imagine?

So apart from the fact that DX10 uses less VAS (a real benefit yes) did your DX9 Setup Crash/Hang/OOM all the time?

And if it did, do you honestly think that DX10 fixed all that....or could it be that you have invested the time to carefully setup and install WIN7 and FSX this time?

Because: I Claim that many problems we see here on the forums are because the user has NOT setup and installed  WIN7 and FSX optmally!

I use a dedicated SSD with Win7 and FSX on it.

Those that have installed FSX in their normal Win7 install with all kinds of other Software plus possible maleware/virusses and troyans and then wonder why FSX is not performing well.....need not wonder!

I am not saying their are no flaws with FSX.

You are bound to have a problem at some point.

But I am not convinced that has much to do with DX10 or DX9.

So, two questions at the end of this Long post:

What Kind of Crashes/Hangs/etc do you believe can be fixed with DX10?

and

If one does go DX10....can he/she  expect everything to work?

(after using that fixer and reading into the matter a bit).

Or are there still things that  dont work well in DX10 (scenery flashes or low FPS on not DX10 optimized scenery or whatever you can think of)

An honoust answere please....this is not a DX9 vs DX10 contest....just choices.

Thx.

Rob Robson

May I know your system specs please? From what I have seen, most users that reported better performance with DX10 either have an AMD system or a relatively weak system. I myself had way better performance on my old and weaker system too, but for my newer system I have similar or very slightly worse performance in DX10. Perhaps my DX10 doesn't perform badly at all (I easily get 50 FPS in PMDG planes) but it might just have been my DX9 performing exceptionally well, making DX10 look relatively worse.

About the shadows, I got them working with the Toolbox.exe in the 777, they look kinda good but the edges are a bit too soft and pixelated, I thought there was a way to change that but I can't figure out how. The manual mentions something about this but I can't find the options it tells me I should change. 

I also tried to modify the PMDG737-800WL_VC.mdl with the toolbox.exe and couldn't get the cockpit shadows working and I have no clue why. modified the other files as well and still I couldn't get them to enable

I got a response on GPU memory impact on VAS from a source I realy thrust when it comes to hardware and FSX.

quote:

Driver model was changed with Vista SP1/Windows7 and GPU memory is not mapped like it was with XP

VAS creeping up as the flight continues is normal. Time + scenery/aircraft is your enemy with FSX

unquote.

Rob Robson

Can't fix the freezes tried different things like uodate grfx driver, reinstall directx, downclock my cpu and gpu. removed nvidiainspector settings, rebuild fsx.cfg and still freezing for 10 minutes and then unfreezes.  :wacko:

Kimo

Can't fix the freezes tried different things like uodate grfx driver, reinstall directx, downclock my cpu and gpu. removed nvidiainspector settings, rebuild fsx.cfg and still freezing for 10 minutes and then unfreezes.  :wacko:

Ah yes, I almost forgot this thread started with freezes.

Do you have Mytraffic 2013 installed?

Rob Robson

I also tried to modify the PMDG737-800WL_VC.mdl with the toolbox.exe and couldn't get the cockpit shadows working and I have no clue why. modified the other files as well and still I couldn't get them to enable

Arjen, Try the base model, example

Z:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX\model

See how that goes

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

They nearly always occur 30 mins or so into the flight when the 777 is at cruise level.

This caught my eye due to a related issue I'm seeing on my end.  Thankfully I haven't been seeing the freezes aside from a very occasional 1-5s stutter/load on approach.  

However, I've noticed that almost without fail my ACARS clients drop out with a "lost connection to sim" message when I reach cruise altitude.  The sim continues, and I can reconnect, but I'm wondering if there's a freeze or under-the-hood issue happening (one that manifests itself as 1s or 10 minute lockups on different pc's)...

Edit:  I'll check on the phantom fuel burn this weekend (per DylanC's post)

Edited by sddjd

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

I'm curious.  Everyone that receives these freezes, do you notice once the sim starts again the amount of fuel has reduced by about 2 or 3000 lbs?  Or is it just me.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Fixed my freezes. My overclock was unstable. Now no freezes during a 6 hour flight awesome.

So if you have a overclocked system check if its stable with prime95.

Had no problems with other aircraft but i think the 777 is more demanding on the system.

Kimo

Ignore my post above I was just lucky on that flight. Today I had another freeze for 9 minutes then fsx resumed  :(

100 posts and not 1 response from pmdg  :(

Kimo

I sent a support request regarding this issue to PMDG and got back an email saying it was probably a VAS problem and made the standard recommendations (reduce scenery, reduce autogen, etc). I ran Process Explorer (PE) during a session that locked-up permanently and PE showed my virtual size for FSX at 3.176 GB.  It would seem that in this case VMS may not have been the issue.  It's really frustrating to never know when or why an FSX session with the 777 is going to fail.

Definitely not a vas problem I've had a freeze with 2.4 GB vas usage.

No scenery installed only a few aircraft. No traffic program. Most sliders down and it still freezes.

Kimo

Almost all of my lockups have happened between engaging TOGA and reaching Vref (typically at about 80 kts).  Does anyone else have failures at this point?