Sign in to follow this  

Is the 777 really "better" than the NGX?

The 777 has a proper working (and brilliant) simulation of Fly By Wire. The NGX doesn't.

I wonder why that might be  :blink:

I'm more of a short hop person... I just am so active during the day I really dont have any time to fly for 9 hours!

That's the beauty of "Autocruise"

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Better? I don't think. NGX+777= AMAZING!

I agree with this as well. Both are top of the line for each airplane simulation

However, I do think the 777 took it a notch higher. Even today on my 10th flight I caught myself pressing the square buttons in and out, giving the poor beacon light a run for it's money as I gazed at the little mechanical switch mechanism working. And, as others have said, the sounds are superb. I have yet to hear a better sound package on a simulated airplane.

Also, for the user asking about the graphics card- I have a Superclocked GTX650 1GB with an i5 2500K @ 4.2Gz and I get a steady 30 in nearly all situations so far.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I think both products are phenomenal. I personally find the 737NGX more realistic in fact.

the sounds on the 737 are as real as it gets, with the T7 you hear the engines even at high (cruise) altitude which is not real at all. Also, the taxi is more real on the NGX, you need constant thrust to keep the T7 moving which is not real at all, these planes at idle grease pretty well through the taxi ways.

Another advantage for realism the NGX has is the HUD, you do not need to be modifying the zoom in and out or mess with the virtual cockpit view to scan speed and Flight Director and such, with the NGX you always had the same depth of the runway pretty much adding to the realism. I do not like much the visual funnel effect of the T7 view of the runway and how it constantly changes

Again, they are both pretty real and in the end it is a matter of taste  but the NGX in my opinion wins in realism over the T7. 

OK Maybe this is an easier way to put the OP's question:

If we were to compare the difference, I see it in three aspects:  System modeling/behaviour, External model modeling/behaviour, and simulation features

• he may mean the % of aircraft system modeled: I think this really only applies to flight deck, in the cabin there isn't many things that needs modelling like turning on of the TV on a pax seat
  • % of external effect/model modeled: So amount of movement externally, effects like thurst reversal etc
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but also external features/accessories/aircraft support/simulation capabilities (ie. time compression); these may mean pushback capabilities, realtime refueling, turn around time etc.

These are only my interpretation of the OP's question, but elaborated into a more quantitative way?

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

That's the beauty of "Autocruise"

Regards,

Exactly. Auto cruise is perhaps the biggest ground breaking achievement with the 777. I know it sounds kind of ridiculous considering the detail and depth of the aircraft itself, but it has completely changed the way I fly. For the first time ever, I can literally fly wherever I want to fly without having to set aside an entire day. When you think about it, the concept is simple enough, but I'm sure the coding that went into it was an enormous challenge.

The way I look at it (following the trend of other replies); the NGX has brought the level of visual effect and simulation modeling to the brink of FSX simulation.  However, the 777 has taken the capabilities of FSX and gone beyond.

In regards to system modeling, there is only one way how the aircraft works/functions, you can only asymptotically get to the reality of a real aircraft.  NGX has reached that asymptote in the way the aircraft was written.  777 has rewritten the logical (as it was needed for an accurate modeling of the aircraft) to reach the same level of reality (with reduced eye candy IMO), and re-written parts of FSX to accommodate for both desktop immersion and real-world convenience (autocruise, stepclimb etc.)

Brendan Chen

I would never compare the NGX with the T7. I would however say that the PMDG ngx is the best available 737, and the PMDG T7 is the best available T7.

Both aircraft are in a league of their own, and should never be directly compared.

Like Kyle has said numerous times.."The T7 is NOT the ngx"

Just my thoughts anyway :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

-Luke Cantrill

staffsignature.php?pilotid=UKV1386

One thing I noticed about the 777, is the little door windows on the airplane are now fake windows, and on the NGX they are real..

??? The windows on the 777X are just like on the NGX--you can see through them. Why would they remove a feature?

??? The windows on the 777X are just like on the NGX--you can see through them. Why would they remove a feature?

Maybe a sacrifice for improved performance? Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

It's more a personal preference thing, like as a foreigner quite some years ago, people always ask me if I like this country better or my original country better.  I was like... how do you compare???  Completely different culture, different lifestyle, different ways to spend your money/time, different hobby, everything is hugely different!  But after a while, I can answer this question based on my preference that I prefer the current country I live in.

I see this can be applied here, although different aircraft that are aimed at different types of operations; but at the end of the day, it's an addon, of an aircraft, on a simulation platform (FSX).  We can only abstract to the lowest common denominator; that is % accuracy of system modeling, effects (as mentioned before), and the bottom line is what would you prefer?  I believe one can do a reasonable comparison between the two based on their normalized accuracy to the real aircraft (ie. how accurate is the NGX compared with 737NGs, vs, how accurate is the 777 compared to real B772?)

For me, NGX visuals simply because of a dirty/filthy cockpit that gives me the thrills.  System wise, I love them both as they are in a very high % of accuracy (100% accurate = the real aircraft).

Other than that, you have the simulation specific features that you cannot reproduce in real world (ie. time acceleration, autocruise etc.), this can also be compared.  And if we are talking about sim-based features, certainly from my knowledge, there isn't anything that the NGX has and the T7 don't, in the contrary, there are some features that is new to the T7 that NGX doesn't have.

Hope I've communicated my point across reasonably clearly.  Again, all my own opinions only.

Brendan Chen

I'd have to say yes. The immersion is much perfected in the 777, so are the fps and general look and feel, sounds and all.

The 777 is also my favorite flightdeck, but despite that, it feels very very real.

Fly your NGX all you want, and one day try this product, it's a win-win no rush!

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I think both products are phenomenal. I personally find the 737NGX more realistic in fact.

the sounds on the 737 are as real as it gets, with the T7 you hear the engines even at high (cruise) altitude which is not real at all. Also, the taxi is more real on the NGX, you need constant thrust to keep the T7 moving which is not real at all, these planes at idle grease pretty well through the taxi ways.

Another advantage for realism the NGX has is the HUD, you do not need to be modifying the zoom in and out or mess with the virtual cockpit view to scan speed and Flight Director and such, with the NGX you always had the same depth of the runway pretty much adding to the realism. I do not like much the visual funnel effect of the T7 view of the runway and how it constantly changes

Again, they are both pretty real and in the end it is a matter of taste but the NGX in my opinion wins in realism over the T7.

Posts like this amuse me. I'm sure PMDG botched the sounds and ground handling like you claim.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4

Jared Listinsky