Okay this is really starting to annoy me now. If anyone had experienced this in the past, please tell me what you did to fix it.

So basically this is what happens:

I sit in my chair, and turn on my computer. After punching in my Windows password, I wait a few seconds for my desktop to load, along with all my other programs (Skype, Steam, anti virus, etc). Then, I open Google Chrome to start checking my emails and Facebook and what not. When I middle button click a link on Facebook (Middle button on the mouse opens a link in a new tab), my whole computer will freeze, except for the mouse. During this freeze, if I start clicking my mouse, the mouse will also freeze. The freeze lasts for a few seconds. When it's done, I hear a few beeps coming from my speakers. After that, my computer will continue to work normally.

Has anyone experienced this? Also, I don't know is this is related to this issue, but another thing that is happening is that whenever I open certain games, I'll hear some sort of whine coming from inside my computer (It may be "coil whine", but I'm not sure.). So far, the games that cause this sound are GTA 4 and Minecraft. Has anyone had this, also? Might this be a memory problem? (Not too long ago when this problem started, I did a memtest on my memory and both sticks passed the first test)

Thanks for any help.

Does middle mouse also cause freeze with other browsers? Try IE or Firefox.

Does middle mouse also cause freeze with other browsers? Try IE or Firefox.

As soon as I turned on my computer I opened IE and started opening a bunch of tabs with middle click. No freeze. However, Chrome didn't freeze today either. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Those Beeps may be telling you what is going on. The BIOS beep codes are designed to give you critical info. You can do a Google search om MSI BIOS beep codes. This may get you started: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

I don't think they have a code, though. If I start clicking after my computer freezes (which causes my mouse to freeze), I'll hear (after the computer unfreezes) the same number of beeps as the number of times I clicked my mouse. Also, it comes from my speakers, not my motherboard or anything like that. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Actually, it did happen today (just a few minutes ago, in Chrome). It took a while to happen today, though.

Edited by linux731

Maybe your PC simply isn't done loading all the background processes yet and it freezes cause you are trying to make it do too many things at once.

Let it sit there for 5 min before even touching the mouse and see if it ever occurs.

For what, Chrome?

This is ridiculous... Look how many processes Chrome uses for just 2 tabs!

No, for all the Windows programs that get loaded in the background.

Yeah, that's how Chrome works apparently. Every tab is a new process.

No, for all the Windows programs that get loaded in the background.

Yeah, that's how Chrome works apparently. Every tab is a new process.

But I don't have that many that start up with my computer. For example, right now, I only have 72 processes running.

For example, right now, I only have 72 processes running.

72? I feel so inadequate with my 36 processes running. Seventy-two? Do you *really* need everything that's running, cause that's a pretty good hit on a system that's just getting started up. How much RAM is used on startup?

Then, I open Google Chrome to start checking my emails and Facebook and what not. When I middle button click a link on Facebook (Middle button on the mouse opens a link in a new tab), my whole computer will freeze, except for the mouse. During this freeze, if I start clicking my mouse, the mouse will also freeze. The freeze lasts for a few seconds. When it's done, I hear a few beeps coming from my speakers. After that, my computer will continue to work normally.

Does this freeze only happen once, when the computer has just booted, or every time you middle-click a link?

If you're using an HDD only, it may be busy loading up startup programs in the background. If the drive is so busy it won't accept new commands from the OS, the whole computer will freeze until things clear up. In that case, I would suggest you get a 256GB SSD and install Windows, Chrome and other frequently used applications on that.

If you already have a SSD, check for a firmware update. I had freezing problems with my OCZ Agility3 until I updated to the latest SSD firmware.

Also check your Chrome settings to make sure you aren't running a lot of unnecessary plug-ins and add-ons in the browser.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

72? I feel so inadequate with my 36 processes running. Seventy-two? Do you *really* need everything that's running, cause that's a pretty good hit on a system that's just getting started up. How much RAM is used on startup?

I'm not sure, I'll have to check. I haven't gotten on my computer today.  

Does this freeze only happen once, when the computer has just booted, or every time you middle-click a link?

If you're using an HDD only, it may be busy loading up startup programs in the background. If the drive is so busy it won't accept new commands from the OS, the whole computer will freeze until things clear up. In that case, I would suggest you get a 256GB SSD and install Windows, Chrome and other frequently used applications on that.

If you already have a SSD, check for a firmware update. I had freezing problems with my OCZ Agility3 until I updated to the latest SSD firmware.

Also check your Chrome settings to make sure you aren't running a lot of unnecessary plug-ins and add-ons in the browser.

It happens when the computer just turned on. I don't have an SSD. I already turned off all the Chrome crap with addons and background processes.

Did you check msconfig to see what your startups are? Maybe you could eliminate some.

I will check this tomorrow, thank you all for your replies.