Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

Why no VSD on the 777?

I'm Curious why Boeing hasn't inplemented the Vertical Situation Display (VSD) on the 777? I would think they would have done so at least on the newer 200LR snd 300ER's? As they did for the 737NG, both the 747-8's and the 787's have them, but not the 777's.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

As they did for the 737NG, both the 747-8's and the 787's have them, but not the 777's.

The 777 was being built before the planes you listed were even on the drawing board, VSD's didn't exist back in the mid 90's.

The 777 was being built before the planes you listed were even on the drawing board, VSD's didn't exist back in the mid 90's.

They did with the 200LR's and 300ER's

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

With the 777 having a glass cockpit, wouldn't it be a matter of a software update to add this?

With the 777 having a glass cockpit, wouldn't it be a matter of a software update to add this?

And probably a change in display unit hardware, test program, certification by the FAA, new procedure development, training for pilots, training pay for pilots as well.

Nothing in aviation is that simple.

And probably a change in display unit hardware, test program, certification by the FAA, new procedure development, training for pilots, training pay for pilots as well.

Nothing in aviation is that simple.

Obviously aviation isn't simple and a change would come with paperwork, training etc.

But a big part of that can be copied from the aircraft where the VSD is available and modified to suit the implementation on the 777.

But why would the display hardware need to be changed?

You don't need to get a new monitor when you want to run different software on your PC.

But why would the display hardware need to be changed? You don't need to get a new monitor when you want to run different software on your PC.

I think he might be referring more to the hardware which drives the displays - the avionics computers themselves. Due to their proprietary programming and capabilities, it's likely that the entire back-end processing system would need to be replaced. For all the reasons above, it's probably a terribly cost-prohibitive feature to retrofit onto an already complex platform (*both real-world and armchair simulated!)

I think he might be referring more to the hardware which drives the displays - the avionics computers themselves. Due to their proprietary programming and capabilities, it's likely that the entire back-end processing system would need to be replaced. For all the reasons above, it's probably a terribly cost-prohibitive feature to retrofit onto an already complex platform (*both real-world and armchair simulated!)

I can see how the avionics are 'closed' systems and that the end-user cannot make changes to them but surely Boeing could?

Just compile the new software package into a single firmware file and have a technician upload it to the avionics.

I suppose that they also fix bugs and apply updates to meet new regulations this way.

That would be how that it is done. The architecture is 'closed' for each of the systems for planes from that generation. Whatever they've done on the 737NG already, probably is technically feasible to put in the 777. However whether it is comnercially viable is another question. The VSD is something that is useful for departures and arrivals. How many departures and arrivals does a 777 accomplish in a working day compared to a 737? How many airlines would think it is worth the cost to add this upgrade to their 777 fleet that probably only flies one or two legs each day.