Sign in to follow this  
Sartanius

Question on Best Practices for Determining Correct Runway at Destination

I've recently returned to flight simming with the release of the PMDG 777.  On all the flights I've made since the T7 release I'm wrong on the selected runway when arriving at my destination.  The destination winds in AS2012 help me plan on what runway to expect, and then as I get closer, I check again and confirm my plan is still correct, but when I contact the tower for landing clearance, it is always another runway in the opposite direction.

I'm not a newbie to flight simulation and I understand in r/l how winds change at desintations, but I get conflicting wind information from AS2012 that causes me to plan for one runway, but then the tower clears me for a completely opposite set of runways.

If it is clear that I'm doing something completely wrong, feel free to send along correction.  If this is just a flaw due to problems with the FSX weather engine and cannot be overcome, then I'll understand.

Thanks for any assistance/suggestions you can pass along.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Hi

I have compared the AS2012 weather at destination against other METAR sources before I commit to landing and so far I have not seen discrepancies.....

Alvaro Escorcia

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

Use the ATIS.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I trie using the AS2012 "wind lock destination" option that requires a flight plan but it really takes the fun out of approaches knowing when you take off on a 5-7hr flight that the winds wont change. .

My question does the Opus weather engine fix this or shall we wait for the next version of AS which is supposedly a complete re-build 

Cheers Josh Cliff

The winds are reported in the direction they are coming from. As you want to take off/land into the wind the active runway will be the one closest to the wind direction.

Eg. wind 360@4

Runways to chose from 16 and 34. Active runway will be 34

Wind 100@8

Runway will be 16

Sorry if you knew that already.

Winds under 5 knots can make either runway active.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

If you are relating to FSX, then I'm afraid the internal atc is not very smart at determining the active runway in relation to the wind. It also gets affected by the AFCAD file of the airport. Sometimes I get simultaneous landings on the same runwya in both directions... weird. I hope someone can also bring up a solution that ensures atc uses the correct runway all the time. 

Thanks, all, for the responses.  I love all the weather depiction and added realism with AS2012, so I will motor on and deal with the changes, just like real world pilots :)

Thanks again...

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I trie using the AS2012 "wind lock destination" option that requires a flight plan but it really takes the fun out of approaches knowing when you take off on a 5-7hr flight that the winds wont change. 

Wind lock will reset when you cross the 128 nm threshold from your destination in order to update the current winds. See p.56 of the user guide.

It's the ATC that is retarted. :O

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png