Sign in to follow this  
Boomer

FS Captain: your opinions please

Thanks guys, I have FSPassengers but find it lacking and it is no longe runder development, really has been stagnent since release.  FSP looks to be interest for its immersive value.  I need a PURPOSE to fly my 777.

Yeah, for airliner flying, I'd think FSCaptain would be a solid choice.

I have used this product for a long time on numerous PMDG offerings and found it to work great and added a great deal of immersion for commercial flight. However, I can t get it to work with thenT7. It does not recognize the passenger door opening and thus does not permit boarding , ergo, it does NOT work until someone shows me a solution or it is fixed by the developer.

Joe

There are other boarding simulations around (GSX, AES, upcoming FS2Crew edition) so I just configure FSC for the B777 without the boarding option. FSC was the 2nd mod I applied to the T7 panel.cfg (after VoxATC).

All good feedback from our customers that have purchased FSCaptain so far. Try the demo if you are unsure if it's right for you.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

People using Multi Crew Experience voice control will discover that one of our virtual FOs "Trav" is the same voice actor as FSC "Trav". They work together in harmony.

I tried the demo a while back, and I thought it was pretty cool. I fly for a VA now though so it's not that necessary.

Jim Padgett, on 09 Sept 2013 - 7:47 PM, said:

To be fair.. the devs did state they were having health issues.... so it is not ' Just like many others ' ...

Give credit where credit is due...

Unfortunetly the health issue reason is a common trend I see among developers. Im starting not to buy it anymore. If you are sick then post something first, not after 4 months of silence. Sorry nothing personal, just business.

Kacper Nowotynski

I think FSCaptain update cycle has been just fine, I don't think the dev has any obligation to deliver us new versions anyway but yet he keeps doing it. 

I very much recommend FSCaptain, switched to it from FSpassengers a year ago or something and never looked back. 

I very much recommend FSCaptain, switched to it from FSpassengers a year ago or something and never looked back.

Thanks, any chance you could elaborate on why?

spacer.png

Thanks, any chance you could elaborate on why?

Well, first I like the customization options FSCaptain has compared to FSpassengers, it allows me to customize a lot of things about different aircraft and airlines. I also like how you can handle all the FScaptain stuff in flight  using FCOM gauge instead of different menu like with FSPax, way easier that way. Also it helps me to organize my virtual airline flights better as FScaptain allows you to create a schedule and then pick up flights from it very user friendly way and also logs them.

Of course FScaptain still being in development and getting new updates is also one major reason why I switched to it, some aircraft like pretty much all the airliners from PMDG don't really work well with FSPassengers unless you do all the payload loading outside FSpassengers using PMDG manager while FScaptain on the other hand works just perfectly with stuff from PMDG thanks to custom interfaces the developer has made for various popular addon aircraft, now even Majestic Dash 8 should be FSCaptain compatible with latest beta build.

Anyway overall I feel it gives my flights a purpose and helps me to keep the virtual airline stuff well organized, as it tracks my performance it also motivates me to do things properly and fly in rather realistic way.

I think FSCaptain update cycle has been just fine, I don't think the dev has any obligation to deliver us new versions anyway but yet he keeps doing it. 

+1

I'm very impressed they are able to support addons with so much custom code such as the Q400, but in addition it will work well with and enhance lighter sims and even default planes. I think to a large extent it is what you make of it: It extends the FSX sandbox with a lot of added capabilities but gives a lot of flexibility to customize. They can even build an airline based on AI schedules. Very cool. I haven't used FSCaptain in a while because of other distractions but I do plan to get back into it. I just hope that in the new release they fixed the save/resume ATC bug I reported.  ^_^

Barry Friedman

I switched over from FSP to FSC around 2 years ago, largely due to the development.  At the time FSCaptain was in rapid development, FSP had stopped any form of development (though he still charges for it).  The last major release of FSC was around the beginning of this year, there was a long (around 8 month) period of relative silence from Dutch (the developer) and another mod called Travis.  They are both back at the minute and 1.4.5 is near release.

Getting it too work with other add-ons (FS2Crew for example) can be tricky, they both add panels.  I have never managed to get the automatic panel adding thingy working along with FS2Crew, you generally need to add the FSC panel manually.

It doesn't have any of the 'simulated economy' aspects of FSP, so no buying planes etc...  I thought i would miss that, as it happens i really don't miss it at all.

Other than the above, it's a vast improvement on FSP, i would strongly recommend the demo available from the Website.  

FSP is also worth considering, i will caveat that by saying, don't expect official support, Dan (the developer) is never around, it's not actively developed, people have reported it not working under Windows 7, i would also buy from Simmarket, not directly from the developer...

Ian R Tyldesley

Being "the developer" (but not the only one!) I'm happy to comment.  I won't give you my opinions, but some facts.

Currently 1.4.5 is in late beta, this release adds a "precision load" option; support for the Q-400, MilViz B737, and we hope to get the official PMDG 777 interface in there -- but even if it's not in the official release it'll be available soon for download.  We do try and stay on top of the latest add-ons.  (Note that an "interface" isn't necessary to use an airplane with FSCaptain, but it makes it more realistic by reaching into the custom panel data to get things like cabin temperature, pressure, and many other things.)

The next release, 1.5.0, is on deck with the "stand-alone" FCDU, a separate application that doesn't require anything to be installed in a panel.  We've had this in beta for quite a while, so once a few things are fixed it'll be ready to roll out.  

We are proud of our support over the years since FSCaptain was first released in December 2009 and this will continue.

Many thanks to all you Captains who enjoy flying with FSCaptain -- your input is what's made it what it is today and will be tomorrow.

Dutch

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.